Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

There should be a bonus for being #1 with 0 available.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

There should be a bonus for being #1 with 0 available.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:34 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by fivenue
which month did you travel last year?, so I know not to waste my GUC on LAX-SYD flight
Why would it be a waste? If it doesn't clear, it's still unused.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Why would it be a waste? If it doesn't clear, it's still unused.
true, my GUC won't be wasted, but I'd waste my $$ on the ticket, and opportunity to be upgraded elsewhere.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Kind of like the middle seat bonus of 500 miles they used to give.
Back in the day pmNW gave 1000 bonus miles to plats (highest level at the time) if you didn't score a complimentary upgrade!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:39 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
true, my GUC won't be wasted, but I'd waste my $$ on the ticket, and opportunity to be upgraded elsewhere.
I'm still not sure I understand . . . .

How could you say you wasted your $$ on a ticket? If you book a ticket to SYD, it's because you WANT TO GO TO Sydney, isn't it? Or, do you just book flights to score upgrades??
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
I think this is precisely why DL added Diamonds to Prem boarding. It is more common than ever that DMs miss the upgrade so it's a nice gesture to allow us to board with FC, as sort of a consolation prize.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:05 am

You want first, you pay for first. Unless you paid for first and were rerouted and they put you on the upgrade list with zero seats available. Which happened to me last week.

Life happens. Deal with it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by davetravels
I'm still not sure I understand . . . .

How could you say you wasted your $$ on a ticket? If you book a ticket to SYD, it's because you WANT TO GO TO Sydney, isn't it? Or, do you just book flights to score upgrades??
sure, i want to go to SYD, if I get upgraded. otherwise, there are others destinations with much better upgrade chance.

for international flight, you bet i want to book flights to score ugrades, given the
destinations are within my list.

i don't think i am the only one who think like this, but if i do, then that's fine by me.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
You want first, you pay for first. Unless you paid for first and were rerouted and they put you on the upgrade list with zero seats available. Which happened to me last week.

Life happens. Deal with it.
if i paid first, then got coach, i wouldn't just deal with it.
i look for options first.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:14 am

if i paid first, then got coach, i wouldn't just deal with it.
i look for options first.
Easier said than done, when you have to make a tight international connection and you are notified of the change at 3 AM (less than 4 hours before your initially scheduled flight). When the initial rerouting was not only a change in cities, but TWO changes of carrier.

You deal with it.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
The best of the lousiest and the lousiest of the best (stolen from a MN radio host).

The stink hole (as we call it in cribbage when you lose in the last hole)

It sucks....and then you get on the plane and pray for a no-show and a call from the back.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RacingJunkie
Kind of like the middle seat bonus of 500 miles they used to give.
Used to? Did they stop middle seat Mondays?

sure, i want to go to SYD, if I get upgraded. otherwise, there are others destinations with much better upgrade chance.

for international flight, you bet i want to book flights to score ugrades, given the
destinations are within my list.

i don't think i am the only one who think like this, but if i do, then that's fine by me.
If that's how you're playing it, find flights where you can confirm your GUCs at booking. Don't let it go to the gate.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
I think this is precisely why DL added Diamonds to Prem boarding. It is more common than ever that DMs miss the upgrade so it's a nice gesture to allow us to board with FC, as sort of a consolation prize.
This is poor consolation prize. The ... ahem... entitled DMs that are not being upgraded are taking the overhead spaces of FC. Poor rollout, execution, and understanding of the PREM boarding has been disaster. FA's see people boarding early, assuming they are FC and not policing the overheads. I understand wanting overhead space, but what is wrong with the space directly above you?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by SYRRDU
This is poor consolation prize. The ... ahem... entitled DMs that are not being upgraded are taking the overhead spaces of FC. Poor rollout, execution, and understanding of the PREM boarding has been disaster. FA's see people boarding early, assuming they are FC and not policing the overheads. I understand wanting overhead space, but what is wrong with the space directly above you?
It's occupied by my Diamond tiara....

Oh, you meant luggage space........never mind.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Darth Chocolate
Easier said than done, when you have to make a tight international connection and you are notified of the change at 3 AM (less than 4 hours before your initially scheduled flight). When the initial rerouting was not only a change in cities, but TWO changes of carrier.

You deal with it.
i was assuming you would deal with it AFTER, not DURING...
anywho .... agree to disagree then ...
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee

If that's how you're playing it, find flights where you can confirm your GUCs at booking. Don't let it go to the gate.
hence, I am collecting all information of such flights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.