FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New passenger put between us (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1671408-new-passenger-put-between-us.html)

mahohmei Apr 11, 2015 7:52 pm

New passenger put between us

Mrs. Mahohmei and I have booked DL837 from ATL to HNL, then DL836 from HNL to ATL. When we made the bookings, both flights' W/Y cabins were 2-4-2, so we booked A and C.

DL has changed these planes to 3-4-3, and put a surprise passenger between us in the previously-nonexistent seat B. From HNL to ATL, I was able to change our seats to B and C from HNL to ATL, so we're seated together on that flight.

From ATL to HNL, there are no more pairs of adjacent W seats for us to move to--even across-aisle adjacent. Our only options would be to change our class to Y or J. DL's website will allow me to pick two Y seats, but I can't pick J seats, even though they're marked as available.

On a rant here, I find it simply unacceptable that DL would separate two passengers in adjacent seats with the same confirmation number. I will, needless to say, be on the phone with their customer service about this. Does anyone know, in situations like this, if they will offer free or significantly discounted discounts on J? I we wind up in Y, I will be *very* angry, and I will be expecting a *significant* refund from DL on this.

Bogwoppit Apr 11, 2015 8:14 pm

Really, you cannot be one person apart for a few hours?

Equipment changes mean weird things happen. I bet you could easily trade with the middle seat interloper if you really cannot be apart.

mbece Apr 11, 2015 8:28 pm

Keep your seats. The person in the middle seat will most certainly gladly swap with you.

LETTERBOY Apr 11, 2015 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by mahohmei (Post 24652321)
Does anyone know, in situations like this, if they will offer free or significantly discounted discounts on J? I we wind up in Y, I will be *very* angry, and I will be expecting a *significant* refund from DL on this.

You want an upgrade to J because you lost your seating assignment? Really? :rolleyes:

will2288 Apr 11, 2015 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 24652398)
Keep your seats. The person in the middle seat will most certainly gladly swap with you.

Agreed. No reason they won't be glad to switch with one of you.

I would not expect DL to offer any compensation. Given the nature of the swap, I think this was a fine outcome. This way you can have either an aisle and middle, or middle and window.

Equipment swaps can be an inconvenience, but I think expecting a 'significant' discount is asking way too much.

Loren Pechtel Apr 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by mbece (Post 24652398)

Exactly. It's a common tactic in cattle class to book A-C and hope the middle seat remains unfilled. If it fills, simply swap. It's such an obvious gain for the other passenger that I'd be very surprised if you ever had trouble. We have never had trouble with booking A-C and sitting A-B, if B shows up I offer them C. The closest to an objection we've ever had is someone who would have preferred A.

Doc Savage Apr 11, 2015 9:18 pm

It sounds like you actually kept your seat assignments!

I chuckle at the fact you think they might bump you to J for this, though....:D

saxman66 Apr 11, 2015 9:21 pm

New passenger put between us

I was assigned a middle seat not long ago. I get to the seat and lo and behold, it's a couple that always book A and C seats. If the flight is open they get a whole row to themselves. If not, the middle seat guy (me) is always happy to switch to the window or aisle.

obscure2k Apr 11, 2015 9:22 pm

Please continue to follow this discussion in the DL Forum.
Thanks..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Anudoric Apr 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Mrs. Mahohmei and I have booked DL837 from ATL to HNL, then DL836 from HNL to ATL. When we made the bookings, both flights' W/Y cabins were 2-4-2, so we booked A and C.

DL has changed these planes to 3-4-3, and put a surprise passenger between us in the previously-nonexistent seat B. From HNL to ATL, I was able to change our seats to B and C from HNL to ATL, so we're seated together on that flight.

From ATL to HNL, there are no more pairs of adjacent W seats for us to move to--even across-aisle adjacent. Our only options would be to change our class to Y or J. DL's website will allow me to pick two Y seats, but I can't pick J seats, even though they're marked as available.

On a rant here, I find it simply unacceptable that DL would separate two passengers in adjacent seats with the same confirmation number. I will, needless to say, be on the phone with their customer service about this. Does anyone know, in situations like this, if they will offer free or significantly discounted discounts on J? I we wind up in Y, I will be *very* angry, and I will be expecting a *significant* refund from DL on this.

So you're that guy who expects a full refund and an upgrade to first class whenever a seat assignment changes, no matter how small... Seats are not guaranteed. Not even seat type (lie-flat vs. standard reclining) is guaranteed.

Stop the over-entitlement and swap with B. Behaviors like yours make me reallllllllly hesistant to go above and beyond for people. Why should I, when passengers will just be rude from the beginning?

When passengers approach me and don't open up with demanding a refund, compensation, miles, etc. then I'm happy, I empathize, and I usually hook them up with everything I possibly can. I reward good behavior. If the first words out of a passenger's mouth are "I'm never flying this airline again" then I have absolutely no incentive to do anything since they already told me they won't be giving the airline any more business. Be rude, get screwed.

DLERT Apr 11, 2015 10:18 pm

With popular heavy flights the gamble that the seat between two parties is going to go
empty is just down right crazy bad thinking. If the seats are not filled by revenue passengers
without a seat selection they most certainly will be filled by non-revs and buddy passes.
The closer to the front of the cabin the more likely that empty seats are going to be filled
while the very back of the cabin is where any unfilled seats are going to go unfilled especially
those that have limited recline or proximity to blue room or galley.

In the case of equipment substitution a smaller configuration will almost
guarantee no empty seats while a larger aircraft configuration may result
in empty seats that are the most undesirable.

Basically Delta has sold you space (seat) from A to B in a specific class.
You have the option in purchasing that space to select a seat in that class.
If you don't pick one - at departure one will be assigned to you.
If the configuration of the aircraft changes you maybe offered or assigned a
seat in the same area of your original selection. If this can not be done then
and only then would Delta perhaps upgrade you into another class higher
than what you paid for. If you have boku frequent flyer status with Delta
may determine if better accommodations may be arranged. The KEY word
here is MAYBE. Delta's contractual obligation here is to transport you from
A to B in the class of service that you have paid for or are using miles.
Specific seating is offered but is on a first come first serve (selection) basis.
Obviously Delta will try to offer you seating together in your party be it two
or more. But folks who have selected seats first are not going to be moved
to fit everyone into the jigsaw seating chart. And of course equipment
substitutions will alter the dynamics of the jigsaw seating chart.

On another note if you are playing the empty seat gamble and the flight
is apt to go full you might contact the gate agent in advance to improve
the odds of getting a complimentary upgrade using your seats as a bargaining
chip of sorts for unexpected oversales or other situations requiring parties
to be seated in the same area together i.e. bulkhead row families with babies.
But beware that even this is subject to first come first option for
the GA to ponder and no guarantees and you are not going to get a free
pass around the Standby List & other upgrades.

mbece Apr 11, 2015 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Anudoric (Post 24652589)
Stop the over-entitlement and swap with B. Behaviors like yours make me reallllllllly hesistant to go above and beyond for people. Why should I, when passengers will just be rude from the beginning?

Funny thing in this situation is that in the OP's eyes the airline would never be able to handle this situation in a way that the customer is satisfied. In this case, Delta honored their seat assignments (A and C). I'm sure if the OP or his companion had gotten the B seat to keep them in adjacent seats, there'd be a complaint about losing an aisle/window seat.

Bowgie Apr 12, 2015 1:44 am

Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel (Post 24652501)
Exactly. It's a common tactic in cattle class to book A-C and hope the middle seat remains unfilled. If it fills, simply swap. It's such an obvious gain for the other passenger that I'd be very surprised if you ever had trouble. We have never had trouble with booking A-C and sitting A-B, if B shows up I offer them C. The closest to an objection we've ever had is someone who would have preferred A.

Personally, I book me in B and wife in C. (She doesn't like middle seat.) My status is higher than hers. With a separate PNR's, I often get upgraded anyway. If I don't, the end result is the same as if we picked A and C, and then swapped with the guy in B. Very very rare that a middle seat in EC remains empty considering how full flights are nowadays.

Bowgie Apr 12, 2015 1:49 am

Middle Seat Mondays

I think Delta still does "middle seat Mondays." If you don't book the middle seat; but swap into it after boarding, then you won't get the 500 mile bonus.

FlyingUnderTheRadar Apr 12, 2015 1:54 am

Someone can correct me if I am wrong. But I have not ever seen a Delta Airbus that was 2-4-2 with seating that labeled as AC rather than AB. Further, I do not think Delta has any livery with skipped seat labeling.

Now even if it the seats were AC, when the equipment changed happened Delta (i.e. the computer reassignment) gave you the same AC seats. That is about the best that is going to happen.

When it comes to seat assignments the old adage around FT is check early and check often.

As such, "You doth protest too much, methinks"