Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New passenger put between us

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Further, I do not think Delta has any livery with skipped seat labeling.
As far as coach, I think you might be correct, however, they do skip the "B" seats in First Class on the CRJ900 where you have a single seat (A) on one side and two seats (C&D) on the other side.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
Really, you cannot be one person apart for a few hours?
Really?
My wife and I always book 2 adjacent aisle seats eg C and D seats with aisle in between. We both get easy access to the aisle, leg room and elbow room!
And we do this on domestic and international flights.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:32 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by mahohmei
Mrs. Mahohmei and I have booked DL837 from ATL to HNL, then DL836 from HNL to ATL. When we made the bookings, both flights' W/Y cabins were 2-4-2, so we booked A and C.

DL has changed these planes to 3-4-3, and put a surprise passenger between us in the previously-nonexistent seat B. From HNL to ATL, I was able to change our seats to B and C from HNL to ATL, so we're seated together on that flight.
Nothing adds up in your post. The only 2-4-2 configured birds in Delta's fleet are the A330 series and the 2 sides are AB and HJ. If what you stated above is correct, then you were never sitting next to your wife in the first place. You booked the incorrect seats.

Secondly, as others have mentioned, even though there was an equipment swap, Delta maintained your original seat assignments. This is exactly what they should've done so there is absolutely no reason for a rant. In fact, Delta did you a favor with the swap since you are sitting closer to your wife now that you aren't separated by an aisle.

Lastly, all you need to do is call Delta and they should have no problem swapping the middle seat passenger so you and your wife can sit together. If that fails, ask the GA at the gate or ask the middle seater once you board. They will definitely switch with you.

If all else fails, be happy that you are able to take a trip with your wife to Hawaii, on a 747-400 no less
Old Apr 12, 2015, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by saxman66
I was assigned a middle seat not long ago. I get to the seat and lo and behold, it's a couple that always book A and C seats. If the flight is open they get a whole row to themselves. If not, the middle seat guy (me) is always happy to switch to the window or aisle.
True. But if it were me I'd probably only take the aisle.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
True. But if it were me I'd probably only take the aisle.
My wife and I were once in A and C for DTW-PVG. The guy in the middle would only take the aisle as well. Really surprised me.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by TTT
My wife and I were once in A and C for DTW-PVG. The guy in the middle would only take the aisle as well. Really surprised me.
I don't like climbing over one person, let alone 2. But I'm especially thinking of the exit row where some of the planes have a bulge in the door where the emergency exit slide is stored, and it makes it hard to stretch out my legs when in the window seat. If it's a regular row and I can lean against the wall to sleep then maybe, and if it's the nice bulkheads with lots of leg room so I don't have to climb over people and no exit row door then absolutely I'd take the window. But I figure they want to sit together, so I have the negotiating power. If they refuse I'm still in the middle and no worse off than I was, whereas if they want to get what they want they'll have to make a concession. @:-)
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
I really try not to bash OP's, but this one is a little crazy. What would you do if you encountered a real problem? Something tells me OP will never be happy regardless.

Not letting you select a J seat with a Y ticket? The madness!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: DL 2MM, DL PM, Marriott Gold, HIlton Gold
I am glad that Delta did not put an old passenger between the OP and his wife.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:30 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HongKonger
I don't like climbing over one person, let alone 2. But I'm especially thinking of the exit row where some of the planes have a bulge in the door where the emergency exit slide is stored, and it makes it hard to stretch out my legs when in the window seat. If it's a regular row and I can lean against the wall to sleep then maybe, and if it's the nice bulkheads with lots of leg room so I don't have to climb over people and no exit row door then absolutely I'd take the window. But I figure they want to sit together, so I have the negotiating power. If they refuse I'm still in the middle and no worse off than I was, whereas if they want to get what they want they'll have to make a concession. @:-)
You're right - the middle person has the leverage. In any case, a couple sitting together will have more space if they are next to each other so IMO that is the better option even if it is the window/middle combo.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AADULtArer
Originally Posted by Pinehurstgolfer
I am glad that Delta did not put an old passenger between the OP and his wife.
nicely struck ^^
Old Apr 12, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: dl dm, *g
I've had this happen to myself and my houseboy a few times and they offered us jump seats in the cockpit as compensation.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by gloyster
I've had this happen to myself and my houseboy a few times and they offered us jump seats in the cockpit as compensation.
In fairness they should have let you flown the aircraft for at least one hour, especially if it was long haul.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Exactly. It's a common tactic in cattle class to book A-C and hope the middle seat remains unfilled. If it fills, simply swap. It's such an obvious gain for the other passenger that I'd be very surprised if you ever had trouble. We have never had trouble with booking A-C and sitting A-B, if B shows up I offer them C. The closest to an objection we've ever had is someone who would have preferred A.
Nthing this. I've been on both sides of that offer and I've never turned it down or had someone else turn me and my wife down.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
I really try not to bash OP's, but this one is a little crazy. What would you do if you encountered a real problem? Something tells me OP will never be happy regardless.

Not letting you select a J seat with a Y ticket? The madness!
OP is going to be even more upset when they realize that "W" doesn't exist on Delta and they are just in Y with a little more leg room and a snack basket.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by mahohmei
DL has changed these planes to 3-4-3, and put a surprise passenger between us in the previously-nonexistent seat B. From HNL to ATL, I was able to change our seats to B and C from HNL to ATL, so we're seated together on that flight.
Umm, Delta doesn't have any aircraft with 3-4-3 seating. Yet.

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.