Wiki Posts
Search

VS vs DL on TATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by ruckzac
That's true, though you're guaranteed to fly out of T3 if you fly VS. You're taking a chance with DL since they sometimes shuffle around their departure gates between T3 and T4.
I'm just saying that, for several destinations, choosing between DL and VS will not impact which lounge you use. I would add, FWIW, that the T4 lounge isn't that bad, and lounge aside, I think the airside part of T4 is better than T3.

Last edited by pbarnette; Apr 8, 2015 at 6:46 am Reason: Missing "not"
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would add, FWIW, that the T4 lounge isn't that bad, and lounge aside, I think the airside part of T4 is better than T3.
Don't know what you mean by "better", but I've always found T4 airside to be bland and boring. I prefer T3 for the variety of (non-lounge) eating/drinking options.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mAAine_flyer
Don't know what you mean by "better", but I've always found T4 airside to be bland and boring. I prefer T3 for the variety of (non-lounge) eating/drinking options.
By better, I mean it doesn't have the massive communal area in the middle that gives it all the charm of a bus terminal. T4 is simply more pleasant.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
By better, I mean it doesn't have the massive communal area in the middle that gives it all the charm of a bus terminal. T4 is simply more pleasant.
Good characterization. But, to me, T3's "bus terminal" atmosphere is preferable to T4 which has all the appeal of a dentist's waiting room in a post neutron-bomb world.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta GM
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Wow - as a DM I was running at about 20% - so 50% as a GM is nice.
Was actually a PM then. Not that it makes much difference!
Old May 1, 2015, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
So took VS 110 ex ATL to MAN last night. In ATL, desk mainly staffed by DL GAs but a VS person was present. Oversold by 12! Most accepted flying tonight and a free round trip ticket to anywhere VS flies. I was in Premium Economy. 2 Weeks ago my wife was in economy. In her opinion VS Economy is better than DL economy. All get little menus. All get a little amenity kits. The bar area for premium economy is good. Her FF miles have still not posted. I travel back to the USA Monday when I will report further. I enquired about the oversell and offered to do ATL-CDG-MAN on AF and they looked at me blankly. But they did offer ATL-LHR-MAN on BA - weird.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I think the T4 breakfast buffet is great--lots of delicious choices.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by ND76
I think the T4 breakfast buffet is great--lots of delicious choices.
Agree the food offerings in the ST lounge are decent, but we weren't talking about lounges (rather, the relative merits of airside T3 vs airside T4 absent any lounge access privileges).
Old May 1, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
So took VS 110 ex ATL to MAN last night. In ATL, desk mainly staffed by DL GAs but a VS person was present. Oversold by 12! Most accepted flying tonight and a free round trip ticket to anywhere VS flies. I was in Premium Economy. 2 Weeks ago my wife was in economy. In her opinion VS Economy is better than DL economy. All get little menus. All get a little amenity kits. The bar area for premium economy is good. Her FF miles have still not posted. I travel back to the USA Monday when I will report further. I enquired about the oversell and offered to do ATL-CDG-MAN on AF and they looked at me blankly. But they did offer ATL-LHR-MAN on BA - weird.
Let me get this straight.
1) you booked yourself in PE and your wife in Y?
2) flight was oversold by 12 and you didn't take a bump?
3) you didn't get an op-up?
Old May 1, 2015, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Let me get this straight.
3) you didn't get an op-up?

Correct - I booked myself in PE for Thursday April 30th. I offered wife the same for April 15th and she declined and said she was happy with Y. If we had been travelling together we would have sat together.

Correct-most options we re to go tonight and arrive Saturday - I travel back Monday - my time is more precious than money for a bump.

3) you didn't get an op-up?[/QUOTE]

Correct - Upper Calls (Virgin Terminology) was full and even if not I am sure Virgin would upgrade their elites before DLs.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My Review from 2 Years Ago

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...c-iad-lhr.html
Old May 3, 2015, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

EXTRACT from report "I thought VS’s strongest point was its enthusiastic and helpful staff; every VS employee I encountered was helpful and made me feel welcome" END EXTRACT

Agree - really great staff I have had so far. Will be doing MAN-ATL tomorrow on VS109 (+DL codeshare). Once again I am in Premium Economy.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Another excellent flight yesterday VS109. Food not bad, good seat, great crew, great service in Premium Economy.

Must try their Upper Class sometime. They did offer it me at check-in Manchester. 1200 POUNDS STERLING ONE WAY- A little rich for my budget.

No FASTLANE which I always got with DL.

I had to call DL last time to get my FF miles to post. Still - product - nice.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just flown VS in Economy - only ever done in Premium Economy (W) before. IMHO, better than DL in terms of food, service and number of drinks etc. Still not seamless at booking or Sky Priority/Diamond benefits but definitely a good experience. Just need to do VS in Business now to get a full comparison.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 7:54 pm

I'll be flying to London with the family in June on award tickets in J. Choices are PIT-DTW-LHR on Delta metal, with DTW-LHR an A333, or VS PIT-JFK-LHR (obviously PIT-JFK will be 'Delta' (Endeavor) metal) on a A346. My thought is to go with the VS flight, if only to try out the JFK Clubhouse, which I have yet to experience.

My only concern is the DL A333 vs the VS A346. Any opinions on the difference between the two? I will be with the wife/kids, so the eating together option on VS would be nice, but it seems a bit impractical. As it is a relatively short flight (at least for me), it probably doesn't matter too much, but I would be curious if there was some sort of serious show-stopper that should put me on DL metal TATL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.