Search

VS vs DL on TATL

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by ruckzac
@GRALISTAIR

J
I found VS J and DL J to be quite similar. Overall, the VS service is a bit better, and the breakfast service is much better. VS's amenity kit is lackluster compared to DL's, but VS does offer pajamas (DL does not). The DL's A330 seat has an edge on VS's A330 seat because you can recline into the flatbed position without having to stand up (with VS, your seat needs to be folded over backwards to be made into a bed). Food and wine selection were comparable. Since it was a red-eye, VS's Upper Class bar did not lure me.
Even if you have to fold back the seat--is it totally lie-flat (not angled lie-flat)?
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by atl runner
Even if you have to fold back the seat--is it totally lie-flat (not angled lie-flat)?
Yes, Virgin only offers 180-degree flat-bed seats in J. I believe Delta is the same now for all long-haul flights.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:05 pm

After having done 10+ flights on DL and VS in Y, I'd rate them about the same. The legroom is similar, IFE similar, food on DL is slightly better, VS service levels are better, seats more comfortable, but that's about it.

Very similar.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would hope that a full PE product would be much better than regular Y or even Comfort+. And VS has a reputation for a quite good PE product at that. I'm in the camp that your comparison isn't terribly valid, but it is good to hear that it is a nice product. I will confess to not caring at all about how young or attractive FAs are.

My impression from what I've read is that VS Y is quite poor, with negative comments on the food and cramped cabins being the most common.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I still think VS Premium Economy is better than DL Comfort + .
Old Apr 7, 2015, 4:50 am

Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
I still think VS Premium Economy is better than DL Comfort + .
There's no question it is, but that's like saying a Chipotle burrito is better the a freezer-aisle chimichanga.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:41 am

Yes, Virgin only offers 180-degree flat-bed seats in J. I believe Delta is the same now for all long-haul flights.
Yes DL is also all-flat beds--at least on wide body jets.

I hope I like the VS 333 because I'm on them both between ATL and LHR and--then ATL and MAN within the next few months. End of an era with DL 64 and 65 being handed over to VS. I'd been on those flights every year from 1996 through last year.

By the way, what type of lounge access is there in MAN when flying VS in the premium cabin? I've heard all about the club at LHR and know it won't be anything like that at MAN, but it's got to be something.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

End of an era with DL 64 and 65 being handed over to VS. I'd been on those flights every year from 1996 through last year.

Absolutely - I was not happy

By the way, what type of lounge access is there in MAN when flying VS in the premium cabin? I've heard all about the club at LHR and know it won't be anything like that at MAN, but it's got to be something.
Only been in the Escape Lounge MAN T2 - they do fresh bacon/sausage sandwiches - they have cereal, toast, fresh juices, alcohol (help yourself), muesili, fruit etc. Not too bad. Not sure about VS- I have heard it is even better.

Last edited by GRALISTAIR; Apr 7, 2015 at 9:14 am
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
For my own personal tastes, I really like the breakfast buffet in the T4 SkyTeam club. The VS Clubhouse is pretty amazing, though.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:08 am

Only been in the Escape Lounge MAN T2 - they do fresh bacon/sausage sandwiches - they have cereal, toast, fresh juices, alcohol (help yourself), muesili, fruit etc. Not too bad. Not sure about VS- I have heard it is even better.
From what I could tell on the VS website--the lounge they use at MAN is the Escape Lounge. I think I've been in all those lounges in T2 at MAN--they aren't knock-your-socks off facilities, but there are worse places to spend an hour before boarding a flight.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

From what I could tell on the VS website--the lounge they use at MAN is the Escape Lounge. I think I've been in all those lounges in T2 at MAN--they aren't knock-your-socks off facilities, but there are worse places to spend an hour before boarding a flight.
Exactly - much better than a DL Skyclub IMHO.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 5:02 pm

Exactly - much better than a DL Skyclub IMHO.
IMHO, Sky Clubs aren't created equal. For instance, I still love Center Point in ATL (A) and the SC in SAN is not big--but VERY nice. Just two examples.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's not just flat beds but also 100% direct aisle access, which DL has on all of its wide bodies but not the 757s, even those variants with genuine flat beds now. Many DL partners still have 2-3-2 seating in business class, which I consider to be unacceptable.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:05 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by SEA-Flyer
I was very disappointed when DL LHR-SEA moved to T4. It was out of T3 until about a week ago.

You'll have access to the Skyteam lounge in T4. The Skyteam lounge is good, much better than a Delta Skyclub. However, the Virgin Clubhouse is much better.
I'm typing while sitting in Virgin's lounge at T3. All I can say is, "Bravo." If there is a finer airline lounge, I've not been in it. Everything is so incredibly well thought-out.
If you're undecided between DL and VS in J, the lounge alone makes it an easy decision.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by airmotive
I'm typing while sitting in Virgin's lounge at T3. All I can say is, "Bravo." If there is a finer airline lounge, I've not been in it. Everything is so incredibly well thought-out.
If you're undecided between DL and VS in J, the lounge alone makes it an easy decision.
Depending upon the destination, you get the VS lounge when flying DL, so it doesn't really make the decision easier.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Depending upon the destination, you get the VS lounge when flying DL, so it doesn't really make the decision easier.
That's true, though you're guaranteed to fly out of T3 if you fly VS. You're taking a chance with DL since they sometimes shuffle around their departure gates between T3 and T4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.