Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I just received a phone call from Delta with a Singapore area code.

Old Mar 31, 15, 12:23 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, IC Amb

I have friends in Europe and South Africa but hadn't ever seen a +65 area code call me before. Turns out it is from Singapore.

The lady who just called me was just calling to tell me "the good news that you have been upgraded on your upcoming PHX-JFK flight that you were waitlisted on."

Is this a new procedure???

I applied an RUC about a month ago because it was going to expire the day after this flight. I've been checking daily to make sure it was still applied as "Upgrade Requested" but its status hasn't changed.

So...I get a phone call just now...she asks me for a seat preference up front....and its done. Confirmation email just popped up, too.
Old Mar 31, 15, 12:39 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
I think the more important thing here is not the Singapore country code, but the fact that someone from DL called you and confirmed that you cleared an upgrade list. I can't think of the last time that happened to me.
Old Mar 31, 15, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Delta has a call center in Singapore, so that's why you saw the Singapore phone number.
Old Mar 31, 15, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
and they are very good. I used to use the Sing res office quite a bit when in Asia (and flying DL) and they always did an awesome job.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL DM
Singapore also does a large amount of the manual reissues, so they may just thought they would call you while they were doing the reissue
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:05 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler View Post
I think the more important thing here is not the Singapore country code, but the fact that someone from DL called you and confirmed that you cleared an upgrade list. I can't think of the last time that happened to me.
Yes. I've never been called when a RUC or GUC has been applied. I thought it was strange.

I also didn't know Delta had a Singapore reservations office.

Still interesting.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:08 pm

Programs: DM/2MM
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Yes. I've never been called when a RUC or GUC has been applied. I thought it was strange.

I also didn't know Delta had a Singapore reservations office.

Still interesting.
If this is something new they are doing for DMs (and whoever else), it's a nice service touch.

Of course, that would mean the RUCs and GUCs were applied correctly to begin with. And there are many threads here that state otherwise...
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:09 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I know I've had tickets issued by SINRES, or something like that.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by davetravels View Post
I know I've had tickets issued by SINRES, or something like that.
Me too, although I've never been aware of reaching their call center by phone..
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:12 pm

I got a phone call too, about 2 to 3 weeks ago. It was from the 800 number and not from Singapore, but it was to tell me I was upgraded (I had applied an RUC).

Truth be told, I thought it was weird.

When your cell phone rings on the same day of travel and the display reads "Delta", my first thought is that it's the automated system telling me that my flight was cancelled.

Personally, the standard email that "your upgrade has cleared" would have been sufficient. And it's a lot easier to choose a seat yourself online when you can see the configuration and what's available. It take more time to have the phone agent relay that to you and for you to process that info and make a decision. (I ended up just taking a seat over the phone and then switching it online).

Sorry to appear ungrateful, but I didn't love this change.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The calls might be placed to someone on the top of the upgrade list when a bunch of people are being cleared simultaneously in order to give the person with the highest priority the choice of seats. IMO it's a kind gesture.
Old Mar 31, 15, 1:18 pm
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Me too, although I've never been aware of reaching their call center by phone..
Not sure if it will work but here is the number in case anyone ever wants it.

+65 6544 6900
Old Mar 31, 15, 2:13 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 355F1 View Post
Not sure if it will work but here is the number in case anyone ever wants it.

+65 6544 6900
EDIT: I think this is not actually the same number I called - see new post later in this thread. The number I used is +65 6336-3371.

ORIGINAL POST: I can confirm this number works and sends you directly to the SIN call centre.

I was recently in Singapore and had successfully applied a GUC to my return journey, but the ticket reissue hadn't happened so I couldn't check in. (Side note - why is this STILL happening? How hard is it to make sure all tickets get reissued before day of departure? Sigh...)

I called the Singapore number rather than the Diamond line so it would be a local call. I reached an agent with a distinctly Singaporean accent; I was able to tell her my ticket needed to be reissued so I could check in, and she was able to do it very quickly - without the usual long hold time, so I'm pretty sure she didn't call IRRRES like usually happens with US-based agents.

I did have to wait on hold a bit even after entering my SkyMiles number, though, so I wouldn't necessarily say calling Singapore directly is a better option than just calling the elite line, describing your problem, and asking to be transferred to the international reissue desk. I do think it would be a better option for someone with no status vs. calling the general line, however.

Last edited by BenA; Apr 2, 15 at 5:51 pm
Old Mar 31, 15, 2:18 pm

Also good when there are weather problems in the US. Vonage and similar VOIP systems price Singapore phone calls at 1 cent/minute.
Old Mar 31, 15, 2:46 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
SIN tends to handle some of the more complex manual reissues. I have received calls from them on such issues n multiple occasions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: