Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
As someone who negotiates for a living, I can tell you that you cannot depend on people "behaving rationally", or at least what constitutes rationality from one's own viewpoint. In fact, you can pretty much count on them not to, after a certain point.
I agree, sort of. People act in their own perceived self-interest. They're often wrong.

Maybe. How many times do you make the other person say "No" before you quit?
Once.

I am not opposed to being asked, once, politely, but when I say "No" that's not an invitation to further cajoling -- although I have thought about offering to switch for $100, not because I'd do it (and I have never raised this idea in practice, of course) but only to demonstrate that, suddenly, it's not so important for Timmy and Suzie to sit together.
There have been a couple of times when I would have accepted.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm on a plane, I'm not interested in moving from my seat. I'm not interested in any sort of negotiation or interaction with you. Go sit in your seat, I'm already in the front of the plane, you're only interested in improving your own situation. Not happy with your lot? Talk to an airline employee, not me.
So you always get your #1 most favorite seat on every flight? Are you Mr. Pillows?

Suppose some day you buy a ticket only to find that your favorite seat is taken and you have to book your second-favorite seat. Then, at T-15, the person who booked your favorite seat misconnects and somebody else gets upgraded into it. If that person offers to trade you your favorite seat for the one you have, is it in your interest to accept?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by jackvogt
I don't continuously ask...just one time and if they say no, I go on my way. Little do people know all you have to do is ask the gate agent, they will bump someone out of their seat (assuming your request is reasonable) and call the passenger up to the podium to receive their new boarding pass.
I certainly hope and believe you are wrong about the gate agent bumping me out of my seat "assuming your request is reasonable". What is reasonable to almost all these seat switchers posting here amounts to no more than a personal preference to sit by their traveling companion.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:56 pm

What is with all of these hypotheticals?, They come across thinly disguised efforts to catch some inconsistency so that you can say "AHA!!!!! See?!?!?!"

Take this most recent example -
Suppose some day you buy a ticket only to find that your favorite seat is taken(1) and you have to book your second-favorite seat(2). Then, at T-15, the person who booked your favorite seat misconnects(4) and somebody else gets upgraded into it(5). If that person offers to trade you your favorite seat for the one you have(6), is it in your interest to accept?
Poster is stringing together 6 hypotheticals and basically saying "well, what about when THIS happens?"

I find it strange that one faction seems to be saying "the person being asked has every right to decline", but then goes on to define the reasons that THEY think are acceptable for declining. i.e. if you say "no" because you don't think the offer is for an equivalent or better seat, that's apparently both fine AND dandy. But if you decline because you "don't do seat swaps", then you are unreasonable.

What I want to know is, how are you going to police this distinction in real life?
Proudelitist likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
A few months ago I was flying DTW-LAS, one of the last flights of the night. I was in 4B, my GF was upgraded into 4D. When we boarded, I politely asked the guy in 4C if he would mind swapping for my seat. He obliged and I was grateful.

I do not believe it was much of an imposition as he could still easily get to his overhead, and he had to move his iPhone. To some this may of been to much, but I was thankful and we shared more than a few beverages and conversation. In full disclosure, he was playing catch up as he was late to the Bachelor Party, this may of played a part in his generosity.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
Thank you for clarifying your alignment with Proudelitist and a couple others. Everyone else can form their own opinions about what kind of person you are.
*Sigh*

And the Asker faction wonders why the Askee faction has such a jaundiced viewpoint.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
For a flight the length of TPA to ATL that's just silly.

Did I mention the time that Reggie Jackson poached my seat on a flight from TPA to ATL. Seriously.
I might be ok with that if it was like for like and he gave me an autograph. If not, then I'd say, "Reg, you may be in the Hall of Fame, but today you're in the Hall of Shame..."

Originally Posted by bergamini
I did paid F but if we get separated due to IROPS you can bet I'm going to ask people to switch for the first time. I hope they will understand and accommodate my elderly mother to sit next to her son on her first jet flight j stead of being offended simply because I asked.
In that situation, I'm sure they will, or likely will, provided that you aren't trying to screw them, which I trust you are not (paid F and all that). That said, assuming they don't, I would also trust that you would handle it with a certain degree of aplomb.

Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
...and I routinely try to stick my hand between the doors for those who ask, and those who don't.
As a heads-up from a guy who formerly worked in the construction biz, you are better off slicing your hand through the air in a "karate chop" motion, making sure to follow-through all the way through; if the life-safety systems are working properly, the doors will open, if not, then you don't risk having your hand caught in between the doors.

Originally Posted by Tizzette
I certainly hope and believe you are wrong about the gate agent bumping me out of my seat "assuming your request is reasonable". What is reasonable to almost all these seat switchers posting here amounts to no more than a personal preference to sit by their traveling companion.
They don't, in general...airline employees seldom like to take sides if they don't have to because someone is going to be left unhappy.

O/H
Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:13 pm
formerly jackvogt

Programs: Delta SkyMiles,
*Sigh*

And the Asker faction wonders why the Askee faction has such a jaundiced viewpoint.

I might be ok with that if it was like for like and he gave me an autograph. If not, then I'd say, "Reg, you may be in the Hall of Fame, but today you're in the Hall of Shame..."

In that situation, I'm sure they will, or likely will, provided that you aren't trying to screw them, which I trust you are not (paid F and all that). That said, assuming they don't, I would also trust that you would handle it with a certain degree of aplomb.

As a heads-up from a guy who formerly worked in the construction biz, you are better off slicing your hand through the air in a "karate chop" motion, making sure to follow-through all the way through; if the life-safety systems are working properly, the doors will open, if not, then you don't risk having your hand caught in between the doors.

They don't, in general...airline employees seldom like to take sides if they don't have to because someone is going to be left unhappy.

O/H
They DO do it when I am traveling with my family and the website will not allow my child who has a high level of anxiety when traveling as it is to sit with me. Usually its trading a middle seat for a middle seat. No big deal. Would it kill you all to be a little bit more gracious? Its just a seat (it goes both ways) and is it worth fighting for it?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Middle seat to middle seat is one thing, although it would be gracious to offer the one that's farther forward to the other person, but most seat swap requests are from people trying to trade their middle seat for an aisle seat, which can be a big deal, especially on a long flight.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:25 pm

They DO do it when I am traveling with my family and the website will not allow my child who has a high level of anxiety when traveling as it is to sit with me. Usually its trading a middle seat for a middle seat. No big deal. Would it kill you all to be a little bit more gracious? Its just a seat (it goes both ways) and is it worth fighting for it?
If the situation were explained to me, I would help out a parent separated from a high anxiety child, and I would help out the poster traveling with his elderly mother flying for the first time. I think most people would.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
What is with all of these hypotheticals?, They come across thinly disguised efforts to catch some inconsistency so that you can say "AHA!!!!! See?!?!?!"

Take this most recent example -

Poster is stringing together 6 hypotheticals and basically saying "well, what about when THIS happens?"

Suppose some day you buy a ticket only to find that your favorite seat is taken(1) and you have to book your second-favorite seat(2). Then, at T-15, the person who booked your favorite seat misconnects(4) and somebody else gets upgraded into it(5). If that person offers to trade you your favorite seat for the one you have(6), is it in your interest to accept?[/I]

I find it strange that one faction seems to be saying "the person being asked has every right to decline", but then goes on to define the reasons that THEY think are acceptable for declining. i.e. if you say "no" because you don't think the offer is for an equivalent or better seat, that's apparently both fine AND dandy. But if you decline because you "don't do seat swaps", then you are unreasonable.

What I want to know is, how are you going to police this distinction in real life?
I find it interesting that you apparently can't count. There are only 3 hypotheticals: (1) => (2) (If your favorite seat is booked, you'll select your second-favorite, or perhaps one you prefer even less). (3) is missing entirely. (4) pretty much implies (5). So (1), (4), and (6) are the only independent hypotheticals.

But the more general case is, simply, if someone offers to swap you a seat you prefer to the one you currently hold, is it to your advantage to accept?
Old Sep 22, 2017, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I'm flying alone and the seats are similar, I'll trade. If I'm sitting next to my wife (or perhaps another traveling companion), it's less likely.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta-pm, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-PP
You guys sure know how to beat a dead horse
CrazyEddie and Seabilly like this.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

O/H said it best.

This is what it so often comes down to: Say no to the request and you're not gracious, or a jerk, or whatever other insults have been slung at those of us who are reluctant to swap seats.

I'm sorry, jackvogt, but I really don't care. Your problem is with the airline, not with me or any other pax. Your family is your responsibility, not mine. Multiply your attitude times the countless others who share it and many, probably most, of us have long ago reached the end of our patience with those asking for seat swaps.

Of course, if you're traveling for an emergency -- funeral, medical treatment, something like that -- just tell me so and I'll be happy to swap and render any other kind of assistance that I can. I will always help people truly in need. However, otherwise? The fact that you decided to travel with your family is of no interest to me and I really don't care whether you have to sit apart, or take another flight or fly another day.

"Gracious" does not mean subordinating my needs to those a stranger because they've decided to go flying with their kid. Thinking that someone isn't "gracious" because they won't swap to accommodate you and your kid, on the other hand, is entitlement demanding and selfish.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by flying_donkeys12
You guys sure know how to beat a dead horse
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:10 am

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Definitely happens sometimes. I was assigned to 13C at OLCI on a CR9 recently. I picked that one over 13B because 13A was occupied and 13D was not, so I was hoping to get an empty window seat beside me. When the GA cleared the standbys she put a couple into 13C-D and moved me to 13B. I did notice the change on my app, but I was never called up and my first official notice was when the scanner beeped and the GA handed me a new BP. Wasn't a big deal at all since they're equivalent seats on the opposite side of the aisle, but I do wonder if she would have called me up and asked if it was a move to 20B instead. Also, said couple was definitely in the "OMG, we can't possibly be apart for 90 whole minutes!" category.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.