Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dzflyer
If im in the middle and this happens and i want the aisle seat then i say i will either take the aisle seat or i will keep my middle seat. I bet the two people that want to sit together that badly come around to my suggestion real quick.
WRONG!!! Our priority was easy aisle access for Mrs. Paplover. We would even take different rows to insure that. Being next to each other is nice, but not top priority. Again, different people have different priorities.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
If im in the middle and this happens and i want the aisle seat then i say i will either take the aisle seat or i will keep my middle seat. I bet the two people that want to sit together that badly come around to my suggestion real quick.
If they wanted twere sit together that badly don't you think they would have picked the aisle/middle combo to begin with?
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
If they wanted twere sit together that badly don't you think they would have picked the aisle/middle combo to begin with?
If they didn't expect the flight to be full, picking aisle/window has the best chance of getting all three seats, because someone else is less likely to take the middle than the window.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
If they didn't expect the flight to be full, picking aisle/window has the best chance of getting all three seats, because someone else is less likely to take the middle than the window.
Oh I'm well aware of that. I was just responding to the fact that some FTers can't seem to fathom that not everyone else has the same travel preferences they do; i.e. an FTer can't comprehend someone else's preference order of
1) Window/Aisle with open middle (hence selection at booking for reason you stated)
2) Aisle/Middle with the would-be middle seat holder taking the window
3) Aisle/Window with occupied middle seat
4) Lastly, Window/Middle with would-be middle seat holder taking the aisle seat. But since OP stated option #4 is a no-go, the pecking order will stop at #3, which was the status quo to begin with.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: delta dm
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I think they thought they would get someone to do whatever they wanted who sat in the middle seat which isnt always the case. WSTBST...want seats together buy seats together or try to fly equipment that has a 2 seat side or give someone the better trade.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I think they thought they would get someone to do whatever they wanted who sat in the middle seat which isnt always the case. WSTBST...want seats together buy seats together or try to fly equipment that has a 2 seat side or give someone the better trade.
Do you really believe that window isn't better than middle?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Do you really believe that window isn't better than middle?
Do you believe its smart not to book two seats together and then expect someone will move to the seats u want the person to move to 100 percent of the time?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Diamond
If possible I try to book two aisle seats in the same row. We both like the aisle and I don't need to spend the entire flight talking. When you do have to say something just watch out for the drink cart. It leaves out the possibility of us having the aisle/window with no one in the middle but that doesn't seem to happen anymore anyways.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by FlyingCOS
If possible I try to book two aisle seats in the same row. We both like the aisle and I don't need to spend the entire flight talking. When you do have to say something just watch out for the drink cart. It leaves out the possibility of us having the aisle/window with no one in the middle but that doesn't seem to happen anymore anyways.
Yep ....i dont sit in Y all that often anymore but i cant remeber the last time i have sat next to an open middle seat.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:54 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
We do the same thing. On a flight to HGK (2-4-2) a passenger asked if I would switch because he prefers the aisle. I was on the end of a 4 seat center. I told him - that's amazing, so do I. Imagine the odds that 2 people would like the same thing.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
This is what my wife and I do too when we travel together. Used to book Aisle/middle but a after a time or two of only one of us getting upgraded and the person left behind stuck in middle by themselves, switched to the aisle/aisle method.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Do you believe its smart not to book two seats together and then expect someone will move to the seats u want the person to move to 100 percent of the time?
Not smart. Most of the time my wife and I are flying together and we always take seats together (window and middle if that's the best option) because we rarely see empty middle seats.

We do want to sit together and save the "exchanges" for when we get upgraded and the seats are not together. Of course, in FC we don't have to worry about a middle seat.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did they ever say it was an expectation? If the person being asked wants to decline and keep their middle seat, they can and OP would keep their window and aisle with the stranger in the middle seat. Would the person in the middle seat have any bargaining power if the person in the window wasn't asking to swap? No. It remains the status quo for the person in the middle seat. This isn't rocket science to figure out....
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If possible I try to book two aisle seats in the same row. We both like the aisle and I don't need to spend the entire flight talking.
Spousal mouse and I are the same way. We're both also leggy sorts (He's 6'2" and I'm 5'9" of mostly femur) and it's what seems to give both of us the most reasonable leg room scenario.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Spousal mouse and I are the same way. We're both also leggy sorts (He's 6'2" and I'm 5'9" of mostly femur) and it's what seems to give both of us the most reasonable leg room scenario.
Spouse mouse? That's cute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.