Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
It would be fun to watch if you and your hubby continue to act like perfect strangers, but he "offers" to pay for you, without making the offer to the middle pax.
You know I never even thought about how bizarre it must seem that one of us always just says "I'll pay for the lady in the window seat too.". Looking back on things that could explain some of the odd looks I have had when I do not even say thank you.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Bogwoppit
You know I never even thought about how bizarre it must seem that one of us always just says "I'll pay for the lady in the window seat too.". Looking back on things that could explain some of the odd looks I have had when I do not even say thank you.
I really want to try this now
Old Jan 14, 2016, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
I really want to try this now
While traveling alone?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Howste
While traveling alone?
^
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:56 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by zoo260
They start talking to each other and passing things back and forth as if I am not there. The husband catches on and tells his wife to stop passing things to him. She does not stop at first but eventually does. Crisis averted!
it happened with me once, I had grabbed a magazine and conspicuously read it half elevated, using the space between me and the front seat. It seems they realized their were bugging me, but I really had the impression that they weren't happy about it...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Gold
I was in a middle seat in C+, ATL-LGA. Husband and wife arrive and take the aisle and window seats. I offer to switch with either of them so they can sit together. The response is no thanks, she likes the window and he likes the aisle.

They start talking to each other and passing things back and forth as if I am not there. The husband catches on and tells his wife to stop passing things to him. She does not stop at first but eventually does. Crisis averted!
My rule for avoiding these situations is not to sit in the middle

Worked out pretty well so far...
Old Jan 14, 2016, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by matthew64832
My rule for avoiding these situations is not to sit in the middle

Worked out pretty well so far...
I generally try not to, but when they're paying me $umpteen hundred to take a different flight, I'll settle if I have to.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 12:29 pm
Suspended

I was in a middle seat in C+, ATL-LGA. Husband and wife arrive and take the aisle and window seats. I offer to switch with either of them so they can sit together. The response is no thanks, she likes the window and he likes the aisle.

Mrs. DrDiarrhea and I always book two aisles and hope the middle remains empty, but are completely aware that this is not likely to happen. So when someone sits in the middle, we don't really interact with each other out of respect for the poor soul in the middle. We also let them have both arm rests as is proper.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea
Mrs. DrDiarrhea and I always book two aisles and hope the middle remains empty, but are completely aware that this is not likely to happen. So when someone sits in the middle, we don't really interact with each other out of respect for the poor soul in the middle. We also let them have both arm rests as is proper.
Whenever I have booked two aisle seats, I have never had someone sit in the middle. How would the FAs get the cart through if there was someone sitting there?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Whenever I have booked two aisle seats, I have never had someone sit in the middle. How would the FAs get the cart through if there was someone sitting there?
Between two aisles is my favorite spot on the plane. I sit in a meditative trance and hover off the ground with my legs crossed.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL PM/KM, AC *G, AS MVP-100K
Apparently the Diarrheas prefer to take their mileage runs in the center section of 767s.

Last edited by SkyBuck; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
Apparently the Diarrheas prefer to take their mileage runs in the center section of 767s.
Funny. (Bold added: I couldn't resist.)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 8:58 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by SkyBuck
every now and then there's a post on FT that just lightens my day
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:08 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
The other day I was sitting in 1A and the following exchange took place in Row 3 so I didn't get to see it, but just listening to the dialog was enough for a smile.

Ms. 3B arrives to find Mr. 3A sitting in her aisle seat.

Mr. 3A: "Can you take the window?"

Ms. 3B: "No, I prefer the aisle."

Mr. 3A: (grudgingly) "Well, OK, but I have to warn you that I get up frequently."

Ms. 3B: (sharply and with no hesitation) "Well, when you pay for your ticket you can select the seat you want!"
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Ms. 3B: (sharply and with no hesitation) "Well, when you pay for your ticket you can select the seat you want!"

Good for Ms. 3B! Sounds like this wasn't her first rodeo.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.