Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:52 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Sorry you life is so miserable and you have no care or respect for other human beings.

Karma will strike when you least expect it.
One can only hope.

I don't begrudge anyone who has a true preference for a selected seat. I'm not giving up an exit row, leaving EC for a regular coach seat, or if the flight is other than a short one, relinquishing my aisle for a window seat. But to reject a polite request to swap aisle for aisle, or window for window, in the same cabin with same quality of the seat, based on an unwavering mantra that the answer is always "no"? That's simply selfish. Is it really that hard to be nice to a stranger by swapping once you've confirmed that the new seat will not be a downgrade for you in any way?

Of course, the OP does not have to consider a trade. It's his "right" to say, no matter the circumstances, the answer is always no. And he's probably correct that it won't affect him that the rest of the cabin thinks he's a jerk because he'll never see them again. But it brings to mind the old adage about one's true character being demonstrated when one believes no one else is watching.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
One can only hope.

I don't begrudge anyone who has a true preference for a selected seat. I'm not giving up an exit row, leaving EC for a regular coach seat, or if the flight is other than a short one, relinquishing my aisle for a window seat. But to reject a polite request to swap aisle for aisle, or window for window, in the same cabin with same quality of the seat, based on an unwavering mantra that the answer is always "no"? That's simply selfish. Is it really that hard to be nice to a stranger by swapping once you've confirmed that the new seat will not be a downgrade for you in any way?

Of course, the OP does not have to consider a trade. It's his "right" to say, no matter the circumstances, the answer is always no. And he's probably correct that it won't affect him that the rest of the cabin thinks he's a jerk because he'll never see them again. But it brings to mind the old adage about one's true character being demonstrated when one believes no one else is watching.
I agree!

btw, 27-2!
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by caseminole
I agree!

btw, 27-2!
27-2. That sounds vaguely familiar, but I assume you must be referring to an unacceptable seat swap because the rows are too far apart and not to anything related to our football teams. I've conveniently blocked that number combination out of my memory, and instead am focused solely on my team overachieving this year under our new coach.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: DL DM
27-2. That sounds vaguely familiar, but I assume you must be referring to an unacceptable seat swap because the rows are too far apart and not to anything related to our football teams. I've conveniently blocked that number combination out of my memory, and instead am focused solely on my team overachieving this year under our new coach.
It is rare for the Seminole to agree with the Gator, but count me in with both of you on the idea that a like-for-like switch is a good karma scenario as you never know when you might want to ask for the same humble favor in order to sit with your favorite Gator

52-20
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
This thread still going 3 years strong! LOL. Must happen a lot. Once on a crowded 767 some guy took my seat and being late to board due to connection, was a little annoying because I had to go back around by swimming upstream to change aisles to take his seat.

More recently, also late to board (in fact, one of the last most everyone was seated) I see some guy just sat in my seat and put on headphones. I asked the person next to him if they wanted to sit together and he looked at me confused. Had to find my boarding card, waved the FA over. FA said sometimes the gate makes last minute changes but I know that normally this would result in a printing of a new seat assignment paper slip. In any case I fumbled around to find my boarding card looking like a buffoon standing in the Aisle while the FA fumbled around to find the manifest. I told him I was pretty sure that 2D was my assigned seat, but could not immediately prove it. Eventually FA asked headphone man if that was his seat and he simply said "no", like, ... dude you know its not your seat and yet you sit in it anyway? His was 5D not like there was a huge difference, and he didn't even know the guy next to him in 2C. Ridiculous. Rather than delay any longer I said it wasn't a problem for me to take 5D I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
For anyone who thinks it's not a big deal to swap with someone else...1) so what, and 2) if it's not a big deal to swap, isn't it equally not a big deal for the person who wants to swap to just stay in the seat on his boarding pass?
Old Dec 9, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by Mr. Elliott
He said he wanted to swap seats so he could sit with his wife, but I was ready to say no because I still wanted my EC seat. He showed me his boarding pass and it was for a first class seat, so I questioned him to make sure this was correct.
I do this often when travelling with the family. Sometimes my wife (gifted GM) as well as I get the UG and we move to the EC seats with our son. It is fun to watch the person when they realize they are getting an FC seat. So if you are travelling RDU-CLE-RDU this Christmas season, you might get the UG.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by huskerchad
For anyone who thinks it's not a big deal to swap with someone else...1) so what, and 2) if it's not a big deal to swap, isn't it equally not a big deal for the person who wants to swap to just stay in the seat on his boarding pass?
Apples and oranges. Virtually no one asks to swap without it being motivated by a desire to sit with a companion. It's basic human kindness to accommodate the request if the swap is not a detriment to you in some way. It's better for them; it's no different for you. Why not be nice?

And again, if the swap is not the same for you (aisle/window; bulkhead/not a bulkhead; etc.), then of course, I see no reason why it would be unreasonable or unkind to refuse.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
That post made me laugh.

Grew up in Atlantic Beach, have lived in SoCal for 30+ years, but am back to FL often.

In an ironic twist of fate, my mom now lives with my sister who is a UF professor, so my trips are almost exclusively to Gainesville now!

The great Bobby Bowden said it best: College football runs in cycles. So as hard as it was for us FSU folks to believe it after Tebow& Co. pounded us in 2009, the teams cycles are completely reversed.

Unfortunately for FSU, that wont last forever
Old Dec 9, 2015, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by Minnegator
It is rare for the Seminole to agree with the Gator, but count me in with both of you on the idea that a like-for-like switch is a good karma scenario as you never know when you might want to ask for the same humble favor in order to sit with your favorite Gator

52-20
Another post that made me laugh. That said, if the 52-20 score in question is from the Sugar Bowl after the 1996 , i can also remind you of another score from that year 24-21
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

If one person wants to sit with fellow employee, wife, kid, etc and the other only wants a seat of similar value.. then yes, it is a deal.

Common human kindness you know...
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Apples and oranges. Virtually no one asks to swap without it being motivated by a desire to sit with a companion. It's basic human kindness to accommodate the request if the swap is not a detriment to you in some way. It's better for them; it's no different for you. Why not be nice?
Who said it's no different for me? I chose my seat for a reason. It's the one I want. They have their reasons for wanting the seat--why are they more valid? The kindness line is a bit overdramatic, don't you think? We're talking about sitting next to someone on a flight, not saying goodbye one last time at an execution.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
But I also don't ask people to switch seats either. If I'm travelling with someone and they get upgraded after me and we can't get seats together I don't ask people to switch seats, I figure if it's that important for me to sit next to someone I should decline the upgrade
I don't have a problem with a polite request, and if the offered seat is no worse than the one I have, I'm generally willing to switch. Of course, it's my subjective opinion that counts in determining "no worse".
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'm not giving up an exit row, leaving EC for a regular coach seat, or if the flight is other than a short one, relinquishing my aisle for a window seat.
You are seemingly not alone in this policy. On three separate occasions I asked people if they would switch so that my wife and I could sit together but they were all trade a window for an aisle, and on each flight neither seatmate was willing to trade. That's 6 opportunities declined. So it must be very important to many people. Honestly I don't know why, I prefer the window to be left alone, sleep, work etc. But on one of these flights my seatmate was some kind of clergy I think (he had some kind of vestment on under a sweater but I didn't notice until we landed). I've never seen anyone put away that many bottles of scotch anywhere, anytime but at least I understood why he would not switch seats - he had to get up and down at least 4 times to visit the lavatory and would have driven his seatmate crazy asking to be let out of the row over and over again.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Who said it's no different for me? I chose my seat for a reason. It's the one I want. They have their reasons for wanting the seat--why are they more valid? The kindness line is a bit overdramatic, don't you think? We're talking about sitting next to someone on a flight, not saying goodbye one last time at an execution.
So I am upgraded to 2A...my wife is upgraded to 2C...and you are in 2B. Please enlighten us to the great hassles you must endure switching to 2C so we can have a more pleasant flight? ...This is of course after I ask you politely...not just take your seat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.