Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I love 1B as well. Not sure why all the hate for bulkhead. With someone reclining into you, bulkhead often offers more legroom.
The First Rule of the Bulkhead Club should be, "We don't talk about the superior benefits of bulkhead seating."

Fortunately most FFs have already made up their minds, but some pax may become curious and try the bulkhead thus making for more competition for the best seats on the plane (oops, just violated Rule #1)...

I wonder if those who complain about bulkhead seating are really bulkhead fans trying to dissuade others from competing for bulkhead seats?
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by BeatCal
Crazy,sorry, not meant to be a personal attack. But the person and child had a loyalty upgrade which is no different from your "instrument"

If the person who changed seats with the kid, wanted his window back, he should have asked.

Kind of nice to let your kid fly in first, we would have given both kids the first and sat in the backs ourselves.

"what i paid for": you "paid" for a seat in first, not the "assigned seat". If you look at DLs rules, the FA can change your seat anytime she/he wants to.

With few exceptions (eg bad leg, different seat configuration, trading window for middle), I believe that one who who will not give up their seat is the sad person and that is the problem with our society today - we are too concerned with ourselves instead of others!
Why are all your post combative and wrong at the same time?

Last edited by theddo; Mar 22, 2015 at 12:01 pm Reason: More postitive tone
Old Mar 22, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by CJKatl
It was a buddy pass rider. Both the FA and the person who reached out to me via FT indicated that. The person who reached out via FT knew something about the passenger/situation that I had not posted, and asked to verify we were talking about the same passengers, which indicated to me the situation was dealt with. It was a short flight, we needed to take off and I wasn't complaining, so it wasn't dealt with at the time, but the FA and, later, the pilot, were livid. Had it not been for them, I would have just let it pass and known to never switch seats without clarity again.

Also, the younger daughter may have been older than four, but there is no way she was eight.
I am sure the person who provided the buddy pass was in HUGE trouble. Not only are they forbidden from asking to switch seats with any passenger, this guy had a paid passenger leave first for coach. I am sure the employee who provided the passes had a lot more than just a hand slap. BTW, I am sure the pilot and the FA also filed complaints. It's a big no-no.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by captiveguru
The First Rule of the Bulkhead Club should be, "We don't talk about the superior benefits of bulkhead seating."

Fortunately most FFs have already made up their minds, but some pax may become curious and try the bulkhead thus making for more competition for the best seats on the plane (oops, just violated Rule #1)...

I wonder if those who complain about bulkhead seating are really bulkhead fans trying to dissuade others from competing for bulkhead seats?
LOL, maybe this will help fend off your competition. In bulkhead seats you have to fight for overhead space, you have to get into the overhead after takeoff if you want to grab your laptop or anything else from your bag, some configurations don't have much leg room, FAs have a tendency to chat loudly in the galley when you're trying to sleep and the lights from the galley can be annoying when you're trying to sleep.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:44 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by CMK10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asiaflyguy

not sure how this qualifies as a DYKWIA...? Granted she seems a high maintenance,but not sure I see the DYKWIA in the post...

If you use phrases like "this is the worst flight I've ever had" and threaten to never fly the airline again over a one hour delay...you ARE a DYKWIA.
Seems more like an inexperienced flyer.

Nice signature.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by mudpuppy
LOL, maybe this will help fend off your competition. In bulkhead seats you have to fight for overhead space, you have to get into the overhead after takeoff if you want to grab your laptop or anything else from your bag, some configurations don't have much leg room, FAs have a tendency to chat loudly in the galley when you're trying to sleep and the lights from the galley can be annoying when you're trying to sleep.
Thanks. I agree. Bulkhead seats are to be avoided at all costs. And do not even try to get me to swap to a bulkhead seat!
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:05 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
BTW - I am tired of typing "seat swap request," and will begin using SSR.
SSR is taken. Special Service Request (in airports, often refers to wheelchair or cart assistance)
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:21 am
HMO

What do you think about Seat Trade Demand?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Had a guy with a small child yesterday on my BOS/DTW flight (girl looked like she was over 2 but apparently she wasn't if she was a lap child). I think it was a gate upgrade because I saw the machine spit out a slip when the GA scanned his phone and he boarded with his wife and she took an aisle seat in EC.

He was my seat mate and boarded a few people ahead of me and I noticed he had some things on my seat and figured since he had a small child he was just getting situated so I put my bag in the bin and he proceeds to sit down in my seat. He told me he needed an aisle since he was holding a child and the GA only had windows available.

I thought it took a lot of nerve to just take the seat and tell me he was taking the aisle. I told him I wanted the aisle and wasn't going to take the window and he got a lot nasty about it and said it was a short flight. He asked a couple other people to trade that were in aisles and no one would and had the nerve to ask the FA to try to do a seat swap and she wouldn't.

I guess it wasn't that big of an issue to have a window seat because he didn't give it up and didn't need to get out of his seat the entire flight. If it was that big of a pain for him to be with a lap held child in a window seat he should have declined the upgrade or given the girl to his wife who was in a coach window seat.

I would have probably switched with the guy (and just warned him I was going to be getting up to use the bathroom during the flight and if the girl was asleep he would have to deal with it) if he wouldn't have just sat down in my seat and would have asked. When someone is sitting in my seat and tells me they want it, then I am not going to do a seat swap
Old Mar 23, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta-PM, HHonors-Diamond, Hyatt-Explorist, Hertz - Presidents
Originally Posted by HMO
What do you think about Seat Trade Demand?
LOL! It's taken tho! Scheduled Time of Departure
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Now that's just crazy talk.

My daughter (13) and I were quite late to JFK. We were final boarding JFK-AMS last week. We sat separate in KLM business class. We both survived. It was a great flight. I felt it was not right to inconvenience people who were settled already when we were some of the last to board the business class cabin. My daughter did not have any issues with this. (Row 4 and Row 5, BTW)
Originally Posted by puddinhead
That's amazing - you both arrived at the same time and she wasn't abducted during the flight never to be seen again? After reading some of the stories one would think that a child not next to a parent could be taken off of the flight during some sort of Steven Segal incursion and removal. It's nice to know there are normal, sane passengers. Those stories don't seem very popular.
Oh, please, you're not such a hero. What teenager has ever wanted to sit next to a parent for nine minutes, never mind nine hours in the air? Cries of, "Dad, you're embarrassing me!" would have filled the cabin.*

(Hoping this post is buried by the time B_K wakes up)

Mike

*I happen to know the OP in the real world, as do many others on this forum, and can assure you that he and his family are among the most lovely individuals that one could hope to meet. No reputations were harmed in the making of this post.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 10:58 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by mikeef
Oh, please, you're not such a hero. What teenager has ever wanted to sit next to a parent for nine minutes, never mind nine hours in the air? Cries of, "Dad, you're embarrassing me!" would have filled the cabin.*

(Hoping this post is buried by the time B_K wakes up)

Mike

*I happen to know the OP in the real world, as do many others on this forum, and can assure you that he and his family are among the most lovely individuals that one could hope to meet. No reputations were harmed in the making of this post.
I'm awake! What do you think mikeef, I just drink (cognac) all night and sleep all day? (oh, and thanks for the *small print* disclaimer, I happen to think you are a pretty decent person yourself... strange, but decent... )
Old Mar 23, 2015, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I'm awake! What do you think mikeef, I just drink (cognac) all night and sleep all day? (oh, and thanks for the *small print* disclaimer, I happen to think you are a pretty decent person yourself... strange, but decent... )
No, I thought it was Krug.

Mike
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Had a guy with a small child yesterday on my BOS/DTW flight (girl looked like she was over 2 but apparently she wasn't if she was a lap child). I think it was a gate upgrade because I saw the machine spit out a slip when the GA scanned his phone and he boarded with his wife and she took an aisle seat in EC.

He was my seat mate and boarded a few people ahead of me and I noticed he had some things on my seat and figured since he had a small child he was just getting situated so I put my bag in the bin and he proceeds to sit down in my seat. He told me he needed an aisle since he was holding a child and the GA only had windows available.

I thought it took a lot of nerve to just take the seat and tell me he was taking the aisle. I told him I wanted the aisle and wasn't going to take the window and he got a lot nasty about it and said it was a short flight. He asked a couple other people to trade that were in aisles and no one would and had the nerve to ask the FA to try to do a seat swap and she wouldn't.

I guess it wasn't that big of an issue to have a window seat because he didn't give it up and didn't need to get out of his seat the entire flight. If it was that big of a pain for him to be with a lap held child in a window seat he should have declined the upgrade or given the girl to his wife who was in a coach window seat.

I would have probably switched with the guy (and just warned him I was going to be getting up to use the bathroom during the flight and if the girl was asleep he would have to deal with it) if he wouldn't have just sat down in my seat and would have asked. When someone is sitting in my seat and tells me they want it, then I am not going to do a seat swap
^ for you and ^^^ for all the others in aisle seats on your flight.

To paraphrase my comment in # 4985; If a pax requests a seat swap expecting, or in this case, demanding the request to be granted he is definitely DYKWIA.

The gate-generated UG is an interesting phenomenon. One is happy to be upgraded but then suddenly not satisfied with the seat assignment.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: Delta DM/1.3MM, Marriott PP/LTP, Natl EE, Etihad Guest, FT FNG
^ for you and ^^^ for all the others in aisle seats on your flight.

To paraphrase my comment in # 4985; If a pax requests a seat swap expecting, or in this case, demanding the request to be granted he is definitely DYKWIA.

The gate-generated UG is an interesting phenomenon. One is happy to be upgraded but then suddenly not satisfied with the seat assignment.
And to make matters worse, he played the "I have a small child, therefore you need to give me what I want" card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.