Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Had a first. Flying with my wife today. We were upgraded via RUC a few days ago. We were initially upgraded to 1A and 1B (the only set of two together), but my wife hates bulkheads so I moved her to 3A and me to 2B. When I checked in last night, that's what we had. When we got to the gate and my wife pulled up her boarding pass via the Delta App, it showed 2A (and the machine spit out a receipt for 2A when she scanned her phone as she boarded.)

Wonder what happened. We didn't ask anyone to swap us. Did a GA notice we were traveling together and move the original occupant of 2A to 3A and put her beside me? Or perhaps 2A misconnected or switched to another flight and the GA saw 2A was open and moved her beside me? Odd that it happened without us even being asked or is inquiring about it.
Only the GA knows. If you phone in and ask politely, they might be able to tell you what the record says (especially if you say you want to compliment whoever was responsible for making the change).
Old Sep 30, 2017, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Most likely someone else had been split up and GA played around to make everyone happy.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Still, GAs shouldn't move seats without asking first. For all the GA knew, 2B and 3A were in the middle of a nasty divorce and the seats were moved form 1A and 1B because they did NOT want to sit together. Do not assume.....
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Does it really make the world a better place? Or does it contribute one more bit of self entitlement being rewarded? One more bad behavior encouraged.

As to good deeds coming back...lets not assume some magical universal providence that operates behind the scenes. That's superstitious talk. There is no evidence, nor is there any rational reason, nor any science, that points to on subjectively moral act influencing another unrelated one in the future. A guy can beat a child and win the lottery the next day. Another can save a child and die in agony in a car wreck. This isn't the movies, and invisible karmic justice isn't operating as a function of the universe.
I thought I was jaded and cynical. Well, actually I am in general. But you make me look like an absolute dove, LOL! Hey, to each his own!

Last edited by MW147; Oct 1, 2017 at 8:44 pm
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Still, GAs shouldn't move seats without asking first. For all the GA knew, 2B and 3A were in the middle of a nasty divorce and the seats were moved form 1A and 1B because they did NOT want to sit together. Do not assume.....
Well, I was taking Mrs. ATOBTTR to OGG so I guess that would be a good hint a "bitter divorce" wasn't going on. Plus we were seated right next to each other on the other leg so I guess that would also tip off the GA that we weren't going through a bitter divorce.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Well, I was taking Mrs. ATOBTTR to OGG so I guess that would be a good hint a "bitter divorce" wasn't going on. Plus we were seated right next to each other on the other leg so I guess that would also tip off the GA that we weren't going through a bitter divorce.
Never know. She may have taken the last Woodford on the previous flight and now all bets are off. Connected to GoGo and filed paperwork from the plane before touching down.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or maybe the GA would have brought a couple headed towards divorce back together as they were forced into closer proximity for an extended time

It's 50/50
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Got on my 6AM LGA-BOS shuttle last week, to find someone sitting in my exit row window seat (21E on the 717, the one with no seat in front of it). I noted that I believed he was in my seat, and he immediately got up and moved to 22E. Yeah, I'm SURE you accidentally took the seat with more legroom than an NBA center could use, rather than the regular economy one a row behind.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Got on my 6AM LGA-BOS shuttle last week, to find someone sitting in my exit row window seat (21E on the 717, the one with no seat in front of it). I noted that I believed he was in my seat, and he immediately got up and moved to 22E. Yeah, I'm SURE you accidentally took the seat with more legroom than an NBA center could use, rather than the regular economy one a row behind.
I get this with the exit row all the time. The last time, the guy didn't even say anything..just got up and moved. Ridiculous...pay to play or get off the field.
Statman and cestmoi123 like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Was asked to move from 3B to 5A on a 757 ATL-RNO so a couple could sit together.
Husband was in 5A and the one who asked. Every time I am asked it is by the husband. Just an observation.

I complied. Felt like being nice for a change.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I get this with the exit row all the time. The last time, the guy didn't even say anything..just got up and moved. Ridiculous...pay to play or get off the field.
Guy in my case didn't say anything either, immediately got up, didn't even make a pretense at "oops, is this 21, I thought it was 22."
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Guy in my case didn't say anything either, immediately got up, didn't even make a pretense at "oops, is this 21, I thought it was 22."
This must happen pretty often. Last year I was on an AS 737-700, and Row 17 is set up the same way - no seat in front of 17A or 17F. I was in the aisle but a guy with 17F boards and finds a lady sitting in his seat. He says something and she halfway pretends to pull out and look at her boarding pass and was like "oh I'm in the wrong seat". As she's shuffling to get out and move back to her seat (which wasn't even close to Row 17), he goes "Nice try...."
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This must happen pretty often. Last year I was on an AS 737-700, and Row 17 is set up the same way - no seat in front of 17A or 17F. I was in the aisle but a guy with 17F boards and finds a lady sitting in his seat. He says something and she halfway pretends to pull out and look at her boarding pass and was like "oh I'm in the wrong seat". As she's shuffling to get out and move back to her seat (which wasn't even close to Row 17), he goes "Nice try...."
I hope the guy said it loudly enough to embarrass her.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:54 pm
Suspended

And this illustrates WHY I never give up a seat if asked (unless I am getting a better seat in trade, which I never am) and why I boot poachers without even considering their predicament.

It's a competition. A competition for comfort. A competition for ease of the travel experience. A competition to be first to snag that seat over all the others who want it. It means being willing to spend the extra $$ vs someone who isn't. It means being knowledgeable about booking seats in advance vs an ignorant kettle who asks for seats at the airport check-in. It means having some status to leaverage vs someone who doesn't. it's a matter of luck too, avoiding IRROPS and random issues vs. the poor sucker who became a victim of them.

When you get that seat, you won the competition. It's dog eat dog. Sorry...those who are weak perish, those who are strong get the exit row aisle.

I would love to be able to offer platitudes about feeling good by being nice to someone in need. If that's your bag, fine. You chose to give it away and sit in the middle. Your choice. But me? No. I can feel sympathy for a person's predicament...if it's not completely of their own making...but not enough to give up what I fought for and won.

I think Karma is a superstitious and irrational notion. Thinking kind acts will come back to you someday is a fine Disney narrative, but not a dimension of reality as we know it.

I think courtesy is not bothering other people. Asking for a swap is discourteous, not refusing a swap.
ESPECIALROB and Statman like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Flew JFK-YYZ last night. I was in 4A. Gentlemen sits down in 4C. Just before boarsing finishes, lady in 4D comes aboard. Puts her stuff away and then ask gentlemen what his seat nunber is. Didn't think anything of it, figuring she was 4c and him 4D. Nope. She was last upgrade and knew 4C was empty. He pulls out BP and its for 19B. Proceeds to act like he thought you just took first available seat while boarding. Perfect English went to broken English with accent real quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.