Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Seth
"If it was so important for you to sit together, you should not have taken your free upgrade in the first place".
Hehe. Was that said from the lofty perch of a paid FC ticket?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Harrah's Diamond; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skchin
The correct thing to do is have your wife start crying and show some tears.
This actually makes me less likely to switch. Again, if it is such a big deal they should have stayed in coach and enjoyed each other's company. There have been a few times my partner and I have had to sit apart in FC and we survived just fine.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:14 am

Programs: United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, Frontier, Delta, Hertz Gold, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by javabytes
Just ask the people sitting in those seats if they would be willing to accommodate you sitting together. When someone asks me, I almost always switch, unless:

1. They ask in a tone like they are demanding it
2. They get on board before me and sit down in my seat first and then ask me to switch
3. I have chosen a specific seat for a reason, and the seat they are offering me is one that I want to avoid (such as a bulkhead with no legroom or the last row that doesn't recline fully)
+1 Agreed. Above are about the only reasons why I would not honor a polite request.

Good attitude. And keep it classy if the person says "No", even if it is snarky DYKWIA-type response to your request. It is their seat, afterall.

I don't view it as a burden to ask to sit next to a loved one. I think in this case too, karma comes into play in the long haul.

BTW . . . if you lose, and don't get the switch, just let it go. Whining about it afterward only gives the other person satisfaction, and makes you look like a whiner. It's a no-win.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PE
Originally Posted by whytravelsomuch
Ask the passengers in the aisle seats next to the both of you if they would switch, if they say no, drop the idea of trying to switch seats and accept you'll be sitting apart for two hours. IMO, starting to then ask other people in the cabin really is not appropriate and it can cause a delay in others that are boarding.

Also, just keep checking the seat map (or set an Expertflyer alert if you have that service) for an aisle seat to open up, then grab one if it does. Asking to switch aisle for aisle will be a hell of a lot easier then asking to switch aisle for window.
I too agree with this. And for clarity, you're not looking for a specific aisle seat next to one of you... you are looking for ANY aisle seat as a bargaining chip.

And even if you don't subscribe to Expertflyer, keep checking DL ... people's plans change and you may be able to grab a better seat.

Failing all else, if sitting next to each other is paramount, you may be able to convince two seatmates from the rear cabin to swap
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
One of life's greatest mysteries. Why *do* guys do things women ask?
Hold on, let me figure out why did the chicken cross the road first.

"City girls just seem to find out early
How to open doors with just a smile..." Eagles
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
waiting . . .

Originally Posted by tentseller
Hold on, let me figure out why did the chicken cross the road first.

"City girls just seem to find out early
How to open doors with just a smile..." Eagles
Great song, agreed.

Waiting for the "country girls" comments, then the "farmer's daughter" jokes, and finally the lock.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
And yes, some LGA-ATL flights do have meal service even though its under the published mile amounts.
yes if it's during meal time. 2-4pm and 8-10pm flights do NOT have meal service though. Just refreshment basket. it's a cold meal though so no big loss really.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
This actually makes me less likely to switch. Again, if it is such a big deal they should have stayed in coach and enjoyed each other's company. There have been a few times my partner and I have had to sit apart in FC and we survived just fine.
honestly I quite prefer sitting apart from my partner on long (transcon) flights. Usually I start with us together in EC but often times I'll UG at the window and he won't until companion window or at the gate if we're seated apart it's fine especially on the return trip. After on a vacation together in a small hotel room or sharing a guestbed we're often happy to have some time apart. Plus he's a restless sleeper so there's very little chance I'll have a peaceful flight even with an ambien!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'd just ask politely. In F, I think a window vs. aisle isn't that big a deal, especially on a short flight where you aren't going to be heading to the restroom that often. If you just say politely "Excuse me, would you mind swapping seats with my wife (or me) so that we could sit together, I think you have a great shot. You can also ask at the gate (you never know who will be a no-show and whose seat you can grab before it's given away). And if you say it JUST loud enough that other people can hear, maybe someone else will volunteer.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
my response was "If it was so important for you to sit together, you should not have taken your free upgrade in the first place". That shut him up.
Or tell him if it's that important for them to sit together to just buy a first class ticket when booking and they can select the seats at booking or fly Delta more and there will be a greater seat invenentory when the upgrades clear
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by andymo99
It's nice that you love each other so much, but a short flight apart won't kill you.
We never said it would... we love each other and would like to spend the time together. Jeeez.

Thanks to everyone! Great ideas. And frankly, these are the ideas that we've used in the past.

Update: two seats together opened up in the first class cabin and BAM, we got them. So, all is resolved before we even step on board.

Thanks again for your help and ideas!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by TheRoadie
If the wife is hott she might get hit upon a lot? Or the hubby is hott? .....
I'd like to think we both are, thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by skchin
The correct thing to do is have your wife start dancing and show some skin.
Fixed your post
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Or tell him if it's that important for them to sit together to just buy a first class ticket when booking and they can select the seats at booking or fly Delta more and there will be a greater seat invenentory when the upgrades clear
Everybody can calm down a bit, I didn't say that it was the "end of the world" if we didn't sit together... just wondering what your thoughts were.

Man, I miss the old days when this site was about travel and sharing ideas and thoughts and NOT attacking anyone that had a different opinion.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:29 pm

I think the point has been made here... MODS can you please lock the topic? It's gone kind of "off the reservation" lately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.