Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 11, 17, 8:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: BadgerBoi
Wiki Link
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Apr 4, 17, 12:07 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by hurnik View Post
I do recall one of my lovely 'prop job' flights from ALB to EWR where they had to stop the right engine because it kept revving (about 20 minutes from landing), and there were several people who put their hands in the air and you could hear the praying start whilst we had a rather rough (but safe) landing. Followed by many joyful "hallelujah's" and clapping/etc. (I was mostly covered in sweat).
Several vacation flights I had, ended with clapping. Funny days
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:13 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by HMO View Post
Several vacation flights I had, ended with clapping. Funny days
It sounds like you were swapping more than just seats if you ended up with the clap...
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
Seems harsh to laugh at an old lady, even if she is trying to steal your seat.
Oh. It was a small little chuckle in the vain of nice try. I doubt she was offended as we talked a bit during the flight.

She just said she hates the middle seat. Hard to blame her.
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Allan38103 View Post
So now anyone who asks the person next to them if they will switch seats qualifies as a SEAT POACHER?
19E was seated in 19F when we got to the row.
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by The Situation View Post
I had the exact same situation happen to me a few years ago. A lady in the middle seat asked me if I "prefer the middle seat." Although the wording seems innocent enough, it was not asked in a very nice tone and I am sure it was a similar situation. There was a definite attitude and expectation that I would switch with her. I replied, "if I preferred the middle seat, given that middle seats are always the last seats available, don't you think I would have chosen the middle seat to begin with?" We didn't speak the rest of the flight which was fine with me. She also was the type that preferred to crawl over the guy in the aisle seat rather than politely asking him to get up so she could use the lav.
I hope she doesn't trip and fall. That's why you ask someone to get out.
Old Apr 4, 17, 12:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's even more ridiculous when people won't get up and expect you to crawl over them.
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:28 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
It's even more ridiculous when people won't get up and expect you to crawl over them.
Same when getting into your seat during boarding. The aisle will see that you've got the window and then do this thing where they sit up real straight and sort of try and turn their legs to the side. Just get up you lazy bum!
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
It's doubly awkward when you start getting up and they don't notice as they try to climb over you.....
Old Apr 4, 17, 1:53 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
It's doubly awkward when you start getting up and they don't notice as they try to climb over you.....
That happened to me. I was sleeping in aside C+, empty middle, TPAC flight.
Lady in window seat did not wanted to wake me disturbing my sleep so she climb over me facing me. Divine intervention happened and we hit a turbulence as she was in the middle of her climb.
Over to OMNI for the rest of the story
Old Apr 4, 17, 2:44 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PP, Hertz PC
Minor issue but annoying nonetheless. Flew JAN>ATL on a CRJ200 a few weeks ago on IROPS and had been originally on a B717 but missed connection. Got to gate, and GA said she gave me 1A with nobody in 1B so I could spread out. I was the last to board. After door shut, one of the two gentlemen traveling in 2C&D moved into 1B since they were both big guys and I am not so thus they would both have more room. Win/win for them but not for me. And of course I then had an elbow in my rib for the next 75 minutes. This picture does not adequately convey but his elbow was way over the armrest and into my seating area and lower ribs/belly the whole flight
Attached Images  

Last edited by bergamini; Apr 4, 17 at 2:55 pm
Old Apr 4, 17, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta, United
You should have politely said something like - Please move your elbow in so it does not encroach into my ribs. Then put your arm down by (not on) the arm rest. Worse case you put a magazine between you and the arm rest.
Old Apr 4, 17, 2:57 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by bergamini View Post
Minor issue but annoying nonetheless. Flew JAN>ATL on a CRJ200 a few weeks ago on IROPS and had been originally on a B717 but missed connection. Got to gate, and GA said she gave me 1A with nobody in 1B so I could spread out. I was the last to board. After door shut, one of the two gentlemen traveling in 2C&D moved into 1C since they were both big guys and I am not so thus they would both have more room. Win/win for them but not for me. And of course I then had an elbow in my rib for the next 75 minutes. This picture does not adequately convey but his elbow was way over the armrest and into my seating area and lower ribs/belly the whole flight
I'm confused. You were in 1A. 1B is empty. Somebody moved into 1C. Who had their elbow in your ribs?
Old Apr 4, 17, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Ritz PP, Hertz PC
Fixed typo to 1B. Bottom line, someone moved into a seat next to me after door closed to get more room since he and his travel buddy were bigger and I had seat open next to me and I wasn't as big.
Old Apr 4, 17, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Howste View Post
I'm confused. You were in 1A. 1B is empty. Somebody moved into 1C. Who had their elbow in your ribs?
OP edited his post. Mr. Big Guy moved into 1B. If OP is in 1A, the pic clearly shows that 1B is, in fact, occupied.

Poor form by 1B. If you're going to move into a seat under those circumstances, you gotta lean out into the aisle utilizing the aisle armrest as your primary space.

That said, if I was OP and knew 1B was empty, I would have taken 1B to guard against precisely this happening. Pure speculation, but I bet that other guy would have been much less likely to move to 1A.
Old Apr 4, 17, 3:13 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by Howste View Post
It sounds like you were swapping more than just seats if you ended up with the clap...
Cheap tickets to common tourist destinations. A winning combo...

Search this Thread