Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:26 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by pvn
FA also hooked him up with something via her tricorder
Her tricorder? Is that a real thing or
Attached Images  
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Today from LAX-LAS in First my seat mate drank my water!! .... He didn't ask or say sorry. Just grabbed it and drank it. He FA was awesome. She actually saw it and brought me 2 bottles and a glass of ice.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aero0729
Today from LAX-LAS in First my seat mate drank my water!! .... He didn't ask or say sorry. Just grabbed it and drank it. He FA was awesome. She actually saw it and brought me 2 bottles and a glass of ice.
That's pretty stupid, because water is free and FAs will gladly give you more if you are parched. All you have to do is ask politely.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by Explorer789
That's pretty stupid, because water is free and FAs will gladly give you more if you are parched. All you have to do is ask politely.
This guy was rude
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:28 am

Programs: none
I'm glad you took the trouble to post this, but I don't know why I am.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Explorer789
be glad you were on DL ... AS provisions exactly one bottle of Dasani per seat for their F pax
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:39 am

And you said nothing??
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Finkface
Her tricorder? Is that a real thing or
I just hope that FA wasn't wearing a red shirt!
Old Mar 27, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by tonypct
I just hope that FA wasn't wearing a red shirt!
Isn't security a yellow shirt? What do yeoman wear?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: DL PM, MM; Marriott Plat
In the original Star Trek, red shirted crew members on away teams tend to die quickly.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL - DM, AA, UA, HH, Hertz
This was for sure a disgusting act, although as I have no photographic proof, I suppose it belongs in the etiquette thread. Last night MSP-SFO in F, my seatmate had awful body odor. When he would (frequently) raise his arms above his head to stretch etc. it was absolutely rancid. He was not otherwise unkempt - just an unathletic middle aged guy in a golf shirt and khakis hammering away at what appeared to be work most of the flight.

I didn't say anything but found it increasingly hard to mask my disgust. What does one do in that situation? Just come out and say "Hey, dude....you f***ing stink"?!??!?

Last edited by cbc812; Apr 3, 2017 at 1:53 pm
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Gold, Marriott/SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cbc812
This was for sure a disgusting act, although as I have no photographic proof, I suppose it belongs in the etiquette thread. Last night MSP-SFO in F, my seatmate had awful body odor. When he would (frequently) raise his arms above his head to stretch etc. it was absolutely rancid. He was not otherwise unkempt - just an unathletic middle aged guy in a golf shirt and khakis hammering away at what appeared to be work most of the flight.

I didn't say anything but found it increasingly hard to mask my disgust. What does one do in that situation? Just come out and say "Hey, dude....you f***ing stink"?!??!?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:36 pm

Some medical condition maybe?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Delta, United

Open the air vent and point it to between you and him.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL - DM, AA, UA, HH, Hertz
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
Open the air vent and point it to between you and him.
That is genius. Next time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.