Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2017, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MEMLawGuy
I think you missed the point of my posts. No one is assigning "FAULT" here. I stated several times that, in the end, I didn't care about switching because I had no plans to recline so I was totally unaffected. So it was not this guy's, or the FA's, FAULT that I had 24E. I voluntarily accepted it.

And I admitted that the only reason I even contemplated further action later would have been out of spite, not out of feeling bad because I didn't get the seat I wanted. I didn't forego such action because I wanted to be the "better person" in the encounter. I let it go because it didn't ultimately affect me and further action (simply for spite) is a d-bag thing to do.

The point of my posts was that if the guy did it on purpose, which the evidence seems to suggest that he likely did, then he is a seat poacher, which is what this thread is about.

And intentional seat poachers (those that just take with no intention of asking for a switch) are scum, so it takes no effort or assignment of FAULT for me to feel superior to them.
This.

If the person in the wrong seat doesn't respond by apologizing and immediately getting up, I take it as proof that it was intentional and treat them accordingly.
Old Mar 9, 2017, 11:04 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Henla
This.

If the person in the wrong seat doesn't respond by apologizing and immediately getting up, I take it as proof that it was intentional and treat them accordingly.
You're a little harsh. They could be drunk or high. You know, toasted to sub-catatonic.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
You're a little harsh. They could be drunk or high. You know, toasted to sub-catatonic.
Fair enough.

If someone in my assigned seat makes eye contact and implies in any way that I should just take a different seat, I take it as proof that it was intentional and treat them accordingly.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by puddinhead
I don't think being drunk or high is an excuse for bad behavior. That was their choice too.
Old Mar 11, 2017, 3:32 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Howste
I don't think being drunk or high is an excuse for bad behavior. That was their choice too.
He didn't say it was an excuse, he offered it as possible explanation other than "intentional poaching"
Old Mar 11, 2017, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
My wife and I had opposite aisles in F which is our preferred domestic seating. When we boarded tonight both window passengers offered to swap and were surprised that my wife thanked them but declined with the explanation that we preferred to sit the way we were and that's how we selected our seats.

It was nice of them to offer.
Old Mar 12, 2017, 7:11 pm

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Henla
Fair enough.

If someone in my assigned seat makes eye contact and implies in any way that I should just take a different seat, I take it as proof that it was intentional and treat them accordingly.
Agreed but if they can't focus or get both of their eyes to move together it may be a sign the drugs have kicked in. As Hunter S. Thompson said "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge."

Besides if they are drooling excessively, I don't want to sit in a wet seat.

Last edited by puddinhead; Mar 12, 2017 at 7:20 pm
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Appears there was some confusion. I didn't know that 38F actually meant 5C.

First time someone from Y has ever tried to poach me. Ended that in about 5 seconds.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
This happened last week on a non-DL 14hr+ flight....

Middle row with four seats, me on far aisle, three women traveling together in the other three seats, two around sixty, one apparently an adult daughter of one of those women...

I get up about four hours into the flight to go to the restroom, wind up talking to another passenger for ten or so minutes, return to my seat to find one of the older women sitting in my seat, on my pillow, fast asleep. The younger woman is stretched across the two middle seats. In a firm voice, I instruct the woman in my seat to get out of my seat. She says she thought I had moved seats, so it's her seat now. ?? I point out that my computer is still there, my headphones and phone are plugged in and sitting on the tray table and that she had seen me standing in the back talking to the other passenger when she went to the lav ten minutes ago (she said hello), so that didn't make sense. The daughter instructed me to find another seat - only middle seats were left - because she wanted to stretch out. I reached over and hit the call button. Two flight attendants eventually told the women there was no discussion to be had. They then asked that I be assigned a new seat because they didn't want to sit near me after this altercation, so the FAs found the two women new seats. They were middle seats in different cabins. One was in the last row and the other towards the front of the plane. The third woman, who was on the aisle, actually seemed happy to be rid of her two flying mates.

The FA told me this type of thing happens almost every flight. I've flown many international flights and had only had something like this happen once before: a few week's earlier. Both flights were ME3 or ME3-similar airlines, but on the second airline, the offending passenger was American. Drunk, reeking of alcohol and cigarettes, but American.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

I am in 11C on a 739 ATL-LGA. I board last as usual, get to my seat and find a guy sitting in 11C but 11A is open. I prefer the window so I say "hey, I'm in 11C but I like the window so if you wan the aisle that's cool with me" and he agrees. As we're taxiing it's clear his IFE screen isn't working. And he's pretty antsy about it. He even PUSHED THE CALL BUTTON (gasp) once we got airborne.

A) should I offer to switch back? The person in 11B is already pretty wrapped up in a movie and would be unnecessarily disturbed.

B) If he asks to switch am I obligated? I would probably say yes anyway but just looking for opinions.

FWIW, now that we're airborne it seems he's given up and got out his laptop.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
I am in 11C on a 739 ATL-LGA. I board last as usual, get to my seat and find a guy sitting in 11C but 11A is open. I prefer the window so I say "hey, I'm in 11C but I like the window so if you wan the aisle that's cool with me" and he agrees. As we're taxiing it's clear his IFE screen isn't working. And he's pretty antsy about it. He even PUSHED THE CALL BUTTON (gasp) once we got airborne.

A) should I offer to switch back? The person in 11B is already pretty wrapped up in a movie and would be unnecessarily disturbed.

B) If he asks to switch am I obligated? I would probably say yes anyway but just looking for opinions.

I would hope that he would be able to survive without for a shorter flight lol.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by pvn

Since he took your seat 11C in the first place and you let him keep it, you have already done more than enough for the guy.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:45 pm
pvn
Suspended

Update: he's watching delta studio on his laptop so all is well.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:18 pm
pvn
Suspended

FA also hooked him up with something via her tricorder
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by pvn
FA also hooked him up with something via her tricorder
Or did she pick seat 11C on her SkyPro and hook YOU up?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.