Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 11, 17, 8:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
Wiki Link
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Dec 14, 15, 7:25 pm
  #646  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Midwest
Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 110
Originally Posted by Henla View Post
bereducation
*portmanteau of berate and education
Henla is offline  
Old Dec 14, 15, 8:37 pm
  #647  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Posts: 11,787
Originally Posted by Henla View Post
*portmanteau of berate and education
nice, I'll need to remember that
jrl767 is offline  
Old Dec 15, 15, 2:32 am
  #648  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Wavre, Belgium
Posts: 57
Originally Posted by DYKWIA2014 View Post
We walked onto the plane together from the bar. I gave her the $100 and my boarding pass, and told her to offer it to whomever was sitting next to her. This guy comes up the aisle looking like he had just won the lottery.

I was single at the time, and the girl turned out to be a keeper. She's my wife.
WOW! What a truly beautiful story. It gave me goosebumps.... Thank you for sharing that, you put a huge smile on my face.

cindy
sg1phileshipper is offline  
Old Dec 15, 15, 5:18 am
  #649  
HMO
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 928
Originally Posted by JayTeaBee View Post
What's "fair" to you or I may not be to anyone else.
This is the point. You had decided that it was fair to you be two rows ahead, not for the lady.

For the majority, be upfront, even a couple of rows, is a premium. It seems to you and your wife too, since your first attempt was to be ahead, instead of she moving back.
HMO is offline  
Old Dec 15, 15, 7:07 am
  #650  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Posts: 2,394
Originally Posted by Henla View Post
This.

If I'm not okay with the seat change, that's it. I prefer not to invite a debate to justify my choice to keep my own seat. Beyond the unimpeachable, "sorry...I'm sitting next to my wife," or a short bereducation of why the swap is worse for me (1A? Sorry, I want legroom; C+ aisle for 33B?....LOL, but thanks for checking; etc.), I prefer a simple, "no thanks."
+1. No explanation, no debate. Just "no thanks" if I'm not interested in the trade.
KevinDTW is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 8:00 am
  #651  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Posts: 151
My favorite seat swap story of all time was a few weeks back on a full flight when a guy in a window seat ended up sitting next to a woman traveling with a baby and a young child. The man walked up to the front of the plane to talk with an FA and prior to door close, the FA got on the PA and made the following announcement:

"Attention everyone. The gentleman in seat 17F -- a window -- is interested in swapping seats WITH ANYONE ELSE ON THE PLANE REGARDLESS OF WHERE IT IS".

The sad part is that no one bit and the poor guy had to then face that woman the entire flight.

On a related note, I was once offered $20 to swap a seat (I took it -- it was 'an aisle for an aisle' -- sorry for the bad pun)

Mordy
mordy2000 is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:15 pm
  #652  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,031
An equipment sub landed me on a different version 757 than booked. Of course seats randomly reassigned. Traveling companion and I were split up. I was in 1B...asked 1a if he would mind switching with 2A. His line (in an OLD pm dl 757 with no cut out) "I am in row 1...I have the best seat on this plane. You are out of your freaking mind". Mmmmmm ok....Enjoy absolutely zero legroom. He tried to strike up conversation with me in the flight. Nah....no thanks
bubbashow is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:29 pm
  #653  
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Now: SAT. Previously: SEA, DAY/CVG
Programs: Delta PM
Posts: 4,807
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
An equipment sub landed me on a different version 757 than booked. Of course seats randomly reassigned. Traveling companion and I were split up. I was in 1B...asked 1a if he would mind switching with 2A. His line (in an OLD pm dl 757 with no cut out) "I am in row 1...I have the best seat on this plane. You are out of your freaking mind". Mmmmmm ok....Enjoy absolutely zero legroom. He tried to strike up conversation with me in the flight. Nah....no thanks
Why didn't you ask 2B if they wanted to switch with you then? I know I personally prefer the bulkhead (even if it means less legroom) because it also means no one in front of me reclining into me. When traveling alone, I always select 1B/C (assuming those are bulkhead aisles) when available.
ATOBTTR is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:42 pm
  #654  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 12,569
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Why didn't you ask 2B if they wanted to switch with you then? I know I personally prefer the bulkhead (even if it means less legroom) because it also means no one in front of me reclining into me. When traveling alone, I always select 1B/C (assuming those are bulkhead aisles) when available.
I get up a lot so like aisles. But if only windows are available when I'm upgraded I prefer a bulkhead window because it's possible to crawl over your seatmate in the aisle to use the lav without them getting up.

If I were asked to swap out of 1b into 2b I would in a heartbeat but not from 1a to 2a
jamesteroh is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 1:44 pm
  #655  
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Detroit, MI USA
Programs: DL DM
Posts: 5,031
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Why didn't you ask 2B if they wanted to switch with you then? I know I personally prefer the bulkhead (even if it means less legroom) because it also means no one in front of me reclining into me. When traveling alone, I always select 1B/C (assuming those are bulkhead aisles) when available.
I thought 1B was the lesser seat. Legs had to be angled around the closet. I felt liked id be giving 2b the worse seat
bubbashow is offline  
Old Dec 22, 15, 2:31 pm
  #656  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ATL
Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Posts: 9,393
Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
I thought 1B was the lesser seat. Legs had to be angled around the closet. I felt liked id be giving 2b the worse seat
I feel like rows 1/2 on most planes are the most subjective re: better or worse.

I almost always want an aisle, but in row 1 I actually prefer a window. If choosing 1B vs. 2B, I'll take 2 for the extra legroom (usually), but I know many others who put a priority on not having someone recline into them.

All a matter of personal preference.
gooselee is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 1:28 pm
  #657  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Programs: Delta, Starwood, Hilton
Posts: 434
On our way back from California, I am in a middle seat because I want my husband to have the window which has a bit more foot room. POS sits in the aisle and says"You don't mind if I put the armrest up, do you?" " As a matter of fact", I say, "I do". POS is embarrassed for me and makes some comment about preferences then fights me for the armrest while grabbing the best banana from the basket that I had my hand on . Thanks to FT, I stood my ground. I have had this sort of thing happen in Economy Comfort several times and think that maybe POS customers think they are getting more width as well as that luxurious extra 2 inches. Or maybe it was just holiday rudeness😐
gungadin is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 2:32 pm
  #658  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by gungadin View Post
On our way back from California, I am in a middle seat because I want my husband to have the window which has a bit more foot room. POS sits in the aisle and says"You don't mind if I put the armrest up, do you?" " As a matter of fact", I say, "I do". POS is embarrassed for me and makes some comment about preferences then fights me for the armrest while grabbing the best banana from the basket that I had my hand on . Thanks to FT, I stood my ground. I have had this sort of thing happen in Economy Comfort several times and think that maybe POS customers think they are getting more width as well as that luxurious extra 2 inches. Or maybe it was just holiday rudeness😐
I swear, every time I read POS I think Piece of S***, which makes my Point of Sales report meetings always fun.
Osmo is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:48 pm
  #659  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 1,808
Here is how the etiquette should work in a civilized society: Take the seat you are given, shut up, and don't bother anyone else. Oh, and don't travel with kids unless you are fleeing a dictatorial regime or relocating for good.

If we all did that, the issue of how to refuse wouldn't be a problem. If there were no kids, the problems of self entitled parents being separated from their crotch fruit and demanding strangers accommodate them would be rare indeed.
Proudelitist is offline  
Old Jan 4, 16, 4:41 pm
  #660  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: BOS
Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Posts: 346
Originally Posted by DrDiarrhea View Post
Here is how the etiquette should work in a civilized society: Take the seat you are given, shut up, and don't bother anyone else. Oh, and don't travel with kids unless you are fleeing a dictatorial regime or relocating for good.

If we all did that, the issue of how to refuse wouldn't be a problem. If there were no kids, the problems of self entitled parents being separated from their crotch fruit and demanding strangers accommodate them would be rare indeed.
That's unnecessarily hostile, and this is coming from someone who is childfree and has every intention of remaining so.

Also, in my experience, seat poaching is much more commonly an issue with adult couples who want to sit together than it is with parents wanting to sit next to their children. I'm not familiar with the process, as it doesn't affect me at all, but I know there are all kinds of regulations about how a minor has to be seated next to a guardian unless he's unaccompanied or something. The gate agents can see all the tickets that belong to minors, so it's usually never an issue.

Oh and lastly, my father worked for Delta when I was young, so my brother and I grew up flying all the time, and we behaved just fine. There's nothing wrong with traveling with kids, as long as parents don't let them run wild in the airport or on the plane. Sure I've seen obnoxious children, but I've seen obnoxious adults, too, and I unfortunately can't stop them from flying either. I feel sorry for children who grow up never flying anywhere, because they're missing out on the invaluable experience of seeing other countries or remote parts of their own country.
BOSTransplant is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread