Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hertz FS, SPG Plt, HH Gold
Sometimes it's an honest mistake.

I have been guilty of it myself on one occasion; I thought my assistant had booked me in the window (I just assumed it was window so completely my fault) and sat there. The person who was originally supposed to be at the window sat on the aisle (my seat) and was passive aggressive all flight (giving me evil stares, muttering to herself about selfish people, etc.). I couldn't figure it out until near the end of the flight, I asked her if she was okay, and then she explained that I had been sitting in her seat. I looked at my boarding pass and realized my faux pas, quickly apologized, and explained though I'm sure that didn't make her feel any better. It was definitely a "Doh!" moment.

Also, there are a few planes that have seat numbers near the seat light that only midgets can see clearly--a few people end up sitting in the wrong seat when that happens purely by accident.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
This happens all the time on LY flights with religious men who don't want to sit next to women. I'm frequently asked to switch for this reason and always say no to that. It happens to/from TLV with non-religious people too and I'll only do it if I get a better seat out of the trade.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by edweird
Seatnanigans?@:-)
We have a great new vocabulary word.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
I've sat in the wrong seat a couple of time by accident, like sitting in the aisle seat on the wrong side of the aisle or wrong row since the numbering is odd. So I always politely say first "I believe you are in my seat". I will only trade for a better seat and better is defined by ME, not the poacher. Only if there is an issue will I get the FA involved. And I ask to see the boarding pass before I agree to any change.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I actually had it happen once on an AZ flight from FCO-TLV that they issued 4 people, including me, a boarding pass for the same exact seat! They worked it out once everyone was on board.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by NYTA
I actually had it happen once on an AZ flight from FCO-TLV that they issued 4 people, including me, a boarding pass for the same exact seat! They worked it out once everyone was on board.
Okay, admittedly completely off topic, but your story reminded me of it.

I was on a TLV-FCO flight, sitting in the aisle seat opposite a very religious couple. The husband was furious because AZ had not provided a kosher meal for his wife. He kept yelling that she was pregnant and could not go the entire flight without eating. (Of course, he was not pregnant but he didn't consider giving her his meal.)

I had ordered a kosher meal, but only because the kosher meals in Y are better than the regular ones. I would just as happily eat a ham and cheese sandwich.

This being the case, I told the FA to give the wife my kosher meal and bring me a standard one.

She did, and to thank me, told me that she was moving me up to FC. The husband blew up! It was his wife whose meal was missing, he said, and he should be given the upgrade.
Wangja likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by krpjr

Today, I board my flight, first class cabin. Some lady is already in my seat, I said "excuse me ma'am" before I could finish she cut me off and said "do you mind sitting in my seat over there."
When Ive been hit with this I usually answer ,I would have had no problems switching with you had you asked and Not simply sat in my seat and not yours. Now,Yes I do mind and want my assigned seat.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:26 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster

I was on a TLV-FCO flight, sitting in the aisle seat opposite a very religious couple. The husband was furious because AZ had not provided a kosher meal for his wife. He kept yelling that she was pregnant and could not go the entire flight without eating. (Of course, he was not pregnant but he didn't consider giving her his meal.)

I had ordered a kosher meal, but only because the kosher meals in Y are better than the regular ones. I would just as happily eat a ham and cheese sandwich.

This being the case, I told the FA to give the wife my kosher meal and bring me a standard one.

She did, and to thank me, told me that she was moving me up to FC. The husband blew up! It was his wife whose meal was missing, he said, and he should be given the upgrade.
Wow, what a pig!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by craz
When Ive been hit with this I usually answer ,I would have had no problems switching with you had you asked and Not simply sat in my seat and not yours. Now,Yes I do mind and want my assigned seat.
I've tried saying "my policy is NOT to trade with people who have already taken my seat without asking; if you had first asked me politely, I *might* have considered a trade depending on the seat that you are offering."
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:29 am
Suspended

cute, Ive over heard the samething (woman wasnt pregnant) and asked the religious person how can you do that , you are now the reason that person will be eating trief. A few times the person ended up giving the ksml back to the other passenger, others said well they probably eat trief all the time no big deal. I said it is a very big deal since every other time they arent eating because of something you caused, this time you are the sole cause for them eating the trief
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:30 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...

You sacrified so much for her...
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Wow, what a pig!
Make sure it's kosher!

(let's not go into technicality with pig being kosher either.)
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
This subject has been covered countless times on the DL board and elsewhere on FT. Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts and lets get back to the discussion of earning SkyMiles, MQM's and scoring upgrades, which is why we are all really posting here.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:48 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Ettiquette for seat-swap request, in First!

Hello-

Just wondering opinions here... My wife and I both got upgraded on an upcoming ATL-LGA flight. However, we were both put in Windows, right behind each other. There are other seats still open in First, but they are all Window as well.

What would you (the plural 'you') suggest is the best way to ask someone in an aisle to sit in a window for the 2 hour flight from ATL to LGA so that my wife and I can sit together.

We've had this happen only once before when we both had window and the people sitting by us on the aisle (both of them) wouldn't move... luckily, two men sitting together both heard our pleas and volunteered to take our seats so we could sit in theirs.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 8:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Same etiquette as if you want someone at another table, in a restaurant, to swap with you. Assume there might be a reason why they don't want to, but ask politely if you really care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.