Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by RaflW
So, is it seat poaching to board and sit in a seat that the DL app shows is empty? I'm guessing the consensus will be yes, because I know that seat maps are notoriously wrong, that pax check in and get seats late, etc.

Is there any point to asking the GA? I usually only care on long-haul. Like today, I'd like to split up and grab two 2-seat pairs on a 767 on a 10 hr flight. We have one FG exit pair, but two rows ahead there appears to be an empty pair - restricted recline but I'd take it for the personal space & angle myself to be able to sleep.

If I move one of us up there on the app, and the other seats check in/get nabbed, then we have to ask for a swap and pax can, and clearly regularly do, say no. (I would probably say no, too, if it was to swap to 19 from exit row!)

That said, GAs are almost always rather busy esp on Int'l departures. Am I being a pest to ask the GA around boarding time "how's the load in Y, do you think 19FG will fill up?" Should I ask "Is it OK if one of us hangs out in 19 in case it doesn't get assigned late?"

Thx for any suggestions.
Why not just asked to be moved to 19?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by sethb
I completely fail to see what one has to do with the other. What benefit is there to me checking in at T-24 rather than T-5? I'll do it when it's convenient (e.g. I'm near a printer).
I believe that check-in time is one of the criteria that goes into the algorithm that determines involuntary denied boarding. When I travel with my kids in a separate PNR and they have no status and are likely traveling on a cheap fare or mileage redemption, T-24 is mandatory. T-5 also lowers your upgrade priority in tie breakers. Do what works for you, but T-5 is risky and amateurish for me.

Agree my SEQ test potentially discriminates against international itineraries. Though I've never been asked to swap seats in DeltaOne, only domestic First for some reason.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
I believe that check-in time is one of the criteria that goes into the algorithm that determines involuntary denied boarding. When I travel with my kids in a separate PNR and they have no status and are likely traveling on a cheap fare or mileage redemption, T-24 is mandatory. T-5 also lowers your upgrade priority in tie breakers. Do what works for you, but T-5 is risky and amateurish for me.

Agree my SEQ test potentially discriminates against international itineraries. Though I've never been asked to swap seats in DeltaOne, only domestic First for some reason.
But the pax could be on the domestic leg of an international itinerary. Starting in the US and had to check in at the counter, that's T-2 at best.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by HongKonger
But the pax could be on the domestic leg of an international itinerary. Starting in the US and had to check in at the counter, that's T-2 at best.
True. I readily admit my procedure isn't perfect. I've probably only needed to do it a dozen times. Let's just say passengers aren't always happy when I politely explain that "given my status, I'm inclined to remain in the seat I booked. But may I inquire, when did you check in?"

Similarly, I routinely yield to nicer cars. If two of us arrive at an intersection simultaneously, I'm inclined to waive a Bugatti through whereas I'm not inclined to show much courtesy to a minivan. Though I suppose the Bugatti could be stolen and not deserving of deference. Sort of the same concept, I suppose.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 am

Programs: AADULtArer
I think the key to this etiquette is to NEVER sit in the seat one is trying to 'poach"

The few times I have had to ask, I have always stood in the seat area, and when the rightful owner has arrived, promptly moved out of the way and then politely asked if a swap is possible. This makes it clear this is YOUR seat, and you have a right to it which you can comfortably assert by sitting in it, if you choose.

..and my success rate is 100%

Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
I think the key to this etiquette is to NEVER sit in the seat one is trying to 'poach"

The few times I have had to ask, I have always stood in the seat area, and when the rightful owner has arrived, promptly moved out of the way and then politely asked if a swap is possible. This makes it clear this is YOUR seat, and you have a right to it which you can comfortably assert by sitting in it, if you choose.

..and my success rate is 100%

Good approach, polite and unassuming.

I tend to not swap, but sometimes, if it's a good story and I feel like it, I will consider it.

Important: I want the story to be complete, including what the other seat is (preferably with proof like a boarding pass) so I can make up my mind right there. If it would require several questions to get the full picture I revert back to my standard "no thank you" since once you open the door to considering it becomes much harder to paddle back.

I never discuss a reason on why I want my seat either, as that creates the illusion that I am open to weighing my vs. the other's reasoning for validity of the swap.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:26 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
True. I readily admit my procedure isn't perfect. I've probably only needed to do it a dozen times. Let's just say passengers aren't always happy when I politely explain that "given my status, I'm inclined to remain in the seat I booked. But may I inquire, when did you check in?"

Similarly, I routinely yield to nicer cars. If two of us arrive at an intersection simultaneously, I'm inclined to waive a Bugatti through whereas I'm not inclined to show much courtesy to a minivan. Though I suppose the Bugatti could be stolen and not deserving of deference. Sort of the same concept, I suppose.
Your attitude in both of these paragraphs is not something to be proud of
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by CMK10
True,
I hope he was kidding. Otherwise, this thread should be moved to DYKWIA.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Esltroy
Otherwise, this thread should be moved to DYKWIA.
Please, no...
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Well, no one would listen to either of us; so I decided to do something about it.

Please swap seat swapping stories and poach on seat poaching stories all you like and to your hearts’ content in this new discussion, which was extracted like an aching tooth from the “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
I really do not want to play discussion tennis, as I do not — er — love doing that...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:51 pm

Why? Passengers dress up in hopes of upgrades. Not saying it helps, but people believe it helps. I'm more inclined to stop and help somebody with directions when asked, if they are dressed in a suit and ask me politely, than if they are dechelved with needle tracks in their arms and demand my assistance. How this qualifies as DYKWIA behaviour is beyond me. Yes, I yield to fine automobiles as a courtesy, and will entertain a seat switch if the pax status is superior to mine. Just being courteous, hardly DYKWIA.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Why? Passengers dress up in hopes of upgrades. Not saying it helps, but people believe it helps. I'm more inclined to stop and help somebody with directions when asked, if they are dressed in a suit and ask me politely, than if they are dechelved with needle tracks in their arms and demand my assistance. How this qualifies as DYKWIA behaviour is beyond me. Yes, I yield to fine automobiles as a courtesy, and will entertain a seat switch if the pax status is superior to mine. Just being courteous, hardly DYKWIA.
Courtesy and proper manners should be given to all regardless of what car they drive, what their FF status is and what their bank account is. If someone asks you politely to swap seats, or needs to pull in front of you, or needs directions or any of another one hundred scenarios, your behavior should be the same regardless of who they are.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:14 pm

Courtesy and proper manners should be given to all regardless of what car they drive, what their FF status is and what their bank account is. If someone asks you politely to swap seats, or needs to pull in front of you, or needs directions or any of another one hundred scenarios, your behavior should be the same regardless of who they are.
Vigorously disagree. I'm far more inclined to help the elderly than the able bodied. I'm far more inclined to help the impoverished and motivated than the well-off and lazy. I'm far more likely to hire the eager and aggressive than the self-entitled brat. I will continue responding to the courteous vs the obnoxious. And I'll consider yielding to those of higher status and/or automotive good taste.

OT, but do you know the difference between a Corvette and a cactus? Cactus, the prick is on the outside. Just wanted to try and inject some humour. Be well, fly safely - Jamie
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
On DL1889, a women came up from aha and took my seat in F, right after I got up. She them took her bag, unpacked on my dads seat while she checked her E-mails! Now, this was on an A320 so I couldn't wait. I called the FA a she was whisked backed to her seat!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
...Similarly, I routinely yield to nicer cars. If two of us arrive at an intersection simultaneously, I'm inclined to waive a Bugatti through whereas I'm not inclined to show much courtesy to a minivan. Though I suppose the Bugatti could be stolen and not deserving of deference. Sort of the same concept, I suppose.
You've got it backwards. The Bugatti owner wants his/her car to stay pretty, so that's not the driver you need to worry about. Nobody wants to drive around in a banged up Bugatti, nor do they want the car tainted with a dent, scratch or ping. Cut the Bugatti off, make your turn even if the Bugatti got to the other side of the intersection before you and cut into the parking space even if the Bugatti was there first. Not deferring to the driver in the thirty-five year old banged up Ford LTD is more likely to wind up with your car being damaged.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
You've got it backwards. The Bugatti owner wants his/her car to stay pretty, so that's not the driver you need to worry about. Nobody wants to drive around in a banged up Bugatti, nor do they want the car tainted with a dent, scratch or ping. Cut the Bugatti off, make your turn even if the Bugatti got to the other side of the intersection before you and cut into the parking space even if the Bugatti was there first. Not deferring to the driver in the thirty-five year old banged up Ford LTD is more likely to wind up with your car being damaged.
Good point. I like how you roll.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.