Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:37 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RTW1
Sorry, but I don't find (considering) sitting in a seat you presume empty by looking at a seat map or asking an FA as soon as you board good manners.... There is a time for everything, and for changing to an empty seat that is when the door closes....

And asking the person that hopef he/she had an empty seat next to him/her is the decent thing to do as well (something I wouldn't take kindly to). You are placing your comfort above theirs.
1. So where in my initial question did I say I would ask the FA immediately upon boarding?

2. I also clearly stated that, as of now, 19FG is an empty pair. I would not be inconveniencing someone expecting an empty seat next to them.

The particular facts I laid out - for a trip I'm taking today - I thought posed an interesting question of etiquette, but I see I've seemed to squashed your toes some how. You've made your opinion abundantly clear. Over and out.

I am still interested in other's thoughts on etiquette for approaching a GA about pax load & remaining seat choices.

Last edited by RaflW; Mar 26, 2015 at 9:44 am
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by RaflW
... Over and out.
Just a sidenote: this is one of the most wrongly used terminology in radio communications.
"over" means its the other party's turn to speak. "out" means completion of the conversation. "Over and out" basically means "you can speak, but I'm not listening anymore". (unless you meant to convey that sentiment )
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by RaflW
1. So where in my initial question did I say I would ask the FA immediately upon boarding?

2. I also clearly stated that, as of now, 19FG is an empty pair. I would not be inconveniencing someone expecting an empty seat next to them.

The particular facts I laid out - for a trip I'm taking today - I thought posed an interesting question of etiquette, but I see I've seemed to squashed your toes some how. You've made your opinion abundantly clear. Over and out.

I am still interested in other's thoughts on etiquette for approaching a GA about pax load & remaining seat choices.
If the GA isn't extremely busy, it is perfectly appropriate to ask about the load situation and the possibility of changing the seat assignment with the goal of getting two seats for the price of one. I have, on a few occasions, had this request granted. The GA always said, "I can't promise you the adjacent seat will remain empty, but I will try."

I've never tried that with an exit row pair and would think it unlikely to cajole that kind of favor. However, for a limited recline seat, I would think the odds are pretty good.

As always, YMMV.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
There is no status or fare class that entitles anyone to force someone out of their seat. (So far as we know.)
only a FAM can do this AFAIK
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by HMO
Quote:

Originally Posted by HongKonger

That's for upgrades, not for seat poaching.

Agreed

Anyone with a seat assignment has priority over a seat poacher.

But if the question is about who has priority for seat poaching, like two poachers wants to trade the same seat... if the rightfull owner agrees with the swap, I imagine it would be first come first serve. But it would be fun to watch a Unobtainium card demands a seat because the now seated poacher is a non elite or non rev...
If multiple people want my seat, I'll put it up for auction.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I've posted on the DL forum many times about my experience, but seat poaching just disgusts me.

I have no problem with you asking me to move. I have no problem with you providing a good reason for me to switch with you. In those case I likely will switch with you. But what I despise is:

1. You sitting in my seat in presumption that I will say yes (ie switching before asking)
2. You sitting in my seat pretending you didn't know better (and then maybe sheepishly giving a dumb excuse like "many people like the window seat, so I thought you might want it")
3. You getting mad when I say no, as if I owe it to you to say yes regardless of your reason given
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
A couple related incidents, both of which I posted at the time...

Several years ago, ATL-LAX, I'm seated in 6C when a gentleman standing at the aisle tells me I'm in his seat, 6D. No, I inform him in no uncertainty, borderline threatening voice, 6D is the window. My finger points to the seat numbers above me, which show this, and tell him I would be happy to get up and let him into his window seat. As he's getting into the seat, I felt a glint or recognition. Since we were going to be sitting next to each other for several hours, he tried to make peace. He was the bigger man, both figuratively and literally. He asked me what kind of work I do, After answering, I asked him the same. His answer, "I'm a professional fighter." Yep, I picked a fight with former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield over a potential seat poach. He was the most interesting person I've ever had a conversation with, which surprised me.

Within the past year, I went to sit in 4C and someone was already there. He apologized and said he was assigned 4D, but since it made no difference and he was already seated, I should just take 4D. I said, in the most condescending voice possible, that yes, it makes no difference, so he should just slide over. He then unleashed a string of profanities towards me. The FA intervened, told him he could either move or get off the plane. The guy in 5C swapped seats with me so I wouldn't have to sit next to the jerk.

Bonus: FL flight back in the day, IAD-ATL. Out of nowhere, my sister who lives in DC got off the inbound flight, so we sat and talked until last call for boarding. When I get on the plane, also out of nowhere, my friend Jerry was sitting in my F seat. "Jerry, what are you doing in my seat?" He replied he, his wife and son had been in DC, which is the first I noticed them on the other side of the aisle. That answered what he was doing on the plane, but I again asked him why he was in my seat. He pointed to the seat next to him and said that was actually his seat, but the guy sitting there must have had his seat, so he just took the aisle seat, since it's closer to his family across the aisle. We both look at the guy in the F window seat, who says, "My seat is actually in the back. I guess I should go there." He picked up his PBD, his stuff and went to the back. Jerry and I both admired his chutzpah and were upset that we had never thought to do that.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 27, 2015 at 1:07 am
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by HMO
^^^
Before considering a swap, I ask to see the boarding pass. If the SEQ number is high (ie 108 on a 717) and the status is lower, it is a non-starter. Seriously, if you can't be bothered to check in when OLCI opens, you don't take travel seriously and I'm not inclined to be flexible. Granted, this is imperfect, as the pax may have come from a cancelled flight. But if a 360 member with a SEQ in the single digits asks me to consider a swap, I will definitely consider it, depending on the options. I've also moved for caregivers, the infirm, and military. But I totally agree with an earlier post re honeymooners. All that planning and you didn't book together? Yeah, you're going to make great parents...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Before considering a swap, I ask to see the boarding pass. If the SEQ number is high (ie 108 on a 717) and the status is lower, it is a non-starter. Seriously, if you can't be bothered to check in when OLCI opens, you don't take travel seriously and I'm not inclined to be flexible. Granted, this is imperfect, as the pax may have come from a cancelled flight. But if a 360 member with a SEQ in the single digits asks me to consider a swap, I will definitely consider it, depending on the options. I've also moved for caregivers, the infirm, and military. But I totally agree with an earlier post re honeymooners. All that planning and you didn't book together? Yeah, you're going to make great parents...
^^^

And

I see result proving your last statement every day!
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
A couple related incidents, both of which I posted at the time...

Several years ago, ATL-LAX, I'm seated in 6C when a gentleman standing at the aisle tells me I'm in his seat, 6D. No, I inform him in no uncertainty, borderline threatening voice, 6D is the window. My finger points to the seat numbers above me, which show this, and tell him I would be happy to get up and let him into his window seat. As he's getting into the seat, I felt a glint or recognition. Since we were going to be sitting next to each other for several hours, he tried to make peace. He was the bigger man, both figuratively and literally. He asked me what kind of work I do, After answering, I asked him the same. His answer, "I'm a professional fighter." Yep, I picked a fight with former world heavyweight champion Evander Holyfield over a potential seat poach. He was the most interesting person I've ever had a conversation with, which surprised me.
Hope you didn't talk the rest of his ear off.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:08 am
Suspended

It has been many years since I've been able to OLCI. Seems like you're discriminating against people with international itineraries.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:21 am
HMO

I have never considered to check the SEQ #. Interesting suggestion ^
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Before considering a swap, I ask to see the boarding pass. If the SEQ number is high (ie 108 on a 717) and the status is lower, it is a non-starter. Seriously, if you can't be bothered to check in when OLCI opens, you don't take travel seriously and I'm not inclined to be flexible.
I completely fail to see what one has to do with the other. What benefit is there to me checking in at T-24 rather than T-5? I'll do it when it's convenient (e.g. I'm near a printer).
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sethb
I completely fail to see what one has to do with the other. What benefit is there to me checking in at T-24 rather than T-5? I'll do it when it's convenient (e.g. I'm near a printer).
That too.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by mnredfox
But what I despise is:

1. You sitting in my seat in presumption that I will say yes (ie switching before asking)
2. You sitting in my seat pretending you didn't know better (and then maybe sheepishly giving a dumb excuse like "many people like the window seat, so I thought you might want it")
3. You getting mad when I say no, as if I owe it to you to say yes regardless of your reason given
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.