Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:21 am

alright, please instruct me on the proper etiquette to request a seat swap. I have the following situation.
I booked my family of four (10 and 12 YOs) in EC on a 3-3 configuration. We booked the 3 side plus the aisle seat across the aisle. Delta switched us onto a new flight and put us all in an exit row, which obviously would not work. I rearranged us a couple of times and have now landed on the below:
22B
22C
22D and
21D
All pretty close and in EC, but I would like to swap 21D for 22A. This is a aisle for window swap, so a decent deal for most flyers.
Please coach me on the proper timing and approach to make this request to 22A.
I await with Popcorn in hand

Edited to add, I am fine with the current arrangements, but I know my youngest would love the window seat.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:03 pm Reason: Removed terminology which caused the discussion to go off topic.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by ThompsonBr
alright, please instruct me on the proper etiquette to request a seat swap. I have the following situation.
I booked my family of four (10 and 12 YOs) in EC on a 3-3 configuration. We booked the 3 side plus the aisle seat across the aisle. Delta switched us onto a new flight and put us all in an exit row, which obviously would not work. I rearranged us a couple of times and have now landed on the below:
22B
22C
22D and
21D
All pretty close and in EC, but I would like to swap 21D for 22A. This is a aisle for window swap, so a decent deal for most flyers.

Edited to add, I am fine with the current arrangements, but I know my youngest would love the window seat.
Take it up with the airline.

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:18 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content and response thereof.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
22B
22C
22D and
21D

You were able to book two aisle seats but not the 22A window because someone else had already booked it. Seems to me that 22A WANTS the window seat so your swap is not "decent."

I would suggest - get 21A or its EC window equivalent if you think a swap would be agreeable. Like for like is the safest way - however, your assumption of like for better based on your preferences as opposed to the unknown preferences of the swapee is a recipe for "no" and rightfully so.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
22B
22C
22D and
21D

Ask the gate agent to call 22A to the podium to see if they would be ok with swapping.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:04 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content and response thereof.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Well, no one would listen to either of us; so I decided to do something about it.

Please swap seat swapping stories and poach on seat poaching stories all you like and to your hearts’ content in this new discussion, which was extracted like an aching tooth from the “Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories discussion.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum
Where the heck is that "Moderators Guilty of Premature Extraction" thread?!?!?!?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:23 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by houserulz77
Where the heck is that "Moderators Guilty of Premature Extraction" thread?!?!?!?
To tell the tooth, I am not sure; but I believe it is in the Patient Chair forum on DentalTalk.

You know the drill...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:26 am

Programs: DL exDM MM
MCO-MSP on a 767 today. F is 2+2+2. 3rd F to board. Settled into 5D. 5C arrives and begins to stow her gear. As she finishes 4E arrives.

5C: "Would you mind swapping with my boss in 4E?"

Me: "Actually, I would rather not."

Both 5C and 4E give me looks of surprise and dismay. I am thinking DYKWIA at this point as they clearly expected me to give up my preferred inside aisle seat (which I selected weeks ago when there were many choices), for an inferior outside seat which would put me at risk to move to allow 5F to get out who-knows-how-many-times on a 3+ hour flight.

4E then trys to get 4F to switch with 5C. 5F says no.

I am so glad I brought my noise-cancelling headset as the two have had numerous conversations before and during the flight. Not sure how 4D can stand it. Not sure why they gave up so easily.

Since I do not seat swap frequently the following solution did not occur to me until halfway to MSP. I offer it to help those who must SS:

5C should have offered to swap with me. Since 5C is equivalent to 5D I would have agreed. 5C (now in 5D), should then have asked 4D to swap with her. If he agreed she would have been immediately across the aisle from her boss. Not perfect, but close enough to easily communicate during flight. And who knows, 4C may have agreed to swap with 4E.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
alright seat Nazi's, please instruct me on the proper etiquette to request a seat swap. I have the following situation.
22B
22C
22D and
21D

I would just keep checking the seat map, especially at t-days when upgrades occur and hope 22a gets upgraded and switch seats. Also keep checking at t-24 hours to see if 22a SDC's on another flight.

If not get to the gate early and hope 22A is on the upgrade list and gets upgraded and explain the situation to the GA and ask if they will move your son to 22A if 22A gets a gate upgrade.

If not, politely ask 22A to switch and hope for the best. I would wait until 22A boards to ask and not take the seat before then, because like others in this thread have stated, if someone poaches my seat it is a deal breaker.

Whilst I would take an aisle over a window any day, you may have an issue in this case. If aisle seats were available when 22A booked and he wanted an aisle, he would have probably chosen an Aisle over 22a so they probably prefer a window over an aisle and won't be as likely to switch.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Bicostal
You were able to book two aisle seats but not the 22A window because someone else had already booked it. Seems to me that 22A WANTS the window seat so your swap is not "decent."

I would suggest - get 21A or its EC window equivalent if you think a swap would be agreeable. Like for like is the safest way - however, your assumption of like for better based on your preferences as opposed to the unknown preferences of the swapee is a recipe for "no" and rightfully so.
Exactly - I always book a window seat whenever possible.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:06 pm Reason: Removed now-deleted quoted content and response thereof.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:03 am
HMO

Originally Posted by captiveguru
Since I do not seat swap frequently the following solution did not occur to me until halfway to MSP. I offer it to help those who must SS:

5C should have offered to swap with me. Since 5C is equivalent to 5D I would have agreed. 5C (now in 5D), should then have asked 4D to swap with her. If he agreed she would have been immediately across the aisle from her boss. Not perfect, but close enough to easily communicate during flight. And who knows, 4C may have agreed to swap with 4E.
It could have worked. Or after you had swaped 5C x 5D, her boss could have asked to swamp 4E x 5E.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Bicostal

There was an aircraft change so there is no guarantee that anybody chose that seat on purpose. Since DL changed their carefully selected seats to begin with, I would call them and ask them to swap the seats again.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:00 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by HMO
It could have worked. Or after you had swaped 5C x 5D, her boss could have asked to swamp 4E x 5E.
Why would he swamp the seats? Would he use a PDB to do it?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Howste
Why would he swamp the seats? Would he use a PDB to do it?
There was a report recently on FT were someone did exactly that. IIRC it was someone on a BA flight in business class who didn't like their assigned seat, saw an empty seat as the door closed, and decided to pour champagne onto the old seat so that FAs could not force them to move back to the original seat.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:59 pm

I still plan to kindly request (but not poach) a seat swap from 22A as you never know their preference without asking. A 'no thanks' is a reasonably acceptable and expected response, but you never know without asking.

Personally, I have never found a kind and polite request for a favor from a stranger as rude, but I guess there are different strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Canarsie; Mar 25, 2015 at 8:06 pm Reason: Removed unnecessary content.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Exclamation Please Remain On Topic

Well, there is nothing like a little clean-up to highlight a night in a discussion which went awry.

Please stay on topic; try not to use terminology which may potentially be considered offensive; and resist posting personal attacks.

Thank you.

Regards,

Canarsie
Co-Moderator, Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.