Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Recently I boarded a 777 to find some jerk in my favorite seat 7A that I had carefully selected in advance. He clearly was settled in and argued about moving to his seat which I think was 11B (definitely in the second BE cabin and definitely in the center). He tried to tell me that he had made a mistake in reading his boarding pass, it didn't matter, the seats were the same, his bag was in the bin, he was settled in and his stuff was organized, he beverage was there, he had opened the water bottle, we would all arrive at the same time,......I just called for the GA who had come on board (and with whom I had had a brief conversation earlier where she congratulated me on getting the best seat on the 777 and I indicated that I always try hard to get 7A or 7D) and insisted that the jerk move. When he tried to tell the GA his "mistake" story I loudly laughed and said that I didn't believe he wasn't aware of exactly what he was trying to do. I rode in 7A that day.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
I wouldn't have minded at all if he had simply asked (beforehand). I should have said "Most people ask politely instead of pointing." or "Next time try asking first."
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: Delta GM; Fly Clear; Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently I boarded a 777 to find some jerk in my favorite seat 7A that I had carefully selected in advance. He clearly was settled in and argued about moving to his seat which I think was 11B ...
Just talking to my wife about this type of situation... if this had happenned on a long haul with a carefully selected seat- and I would have done exactly what you did. That is just plain obnoxious that someone would poach a long haul seat.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 18sas
I wouldn't have minded at all if he had simply asked (beforehand). I should have said "Most people ask politely instead of pointing." or "Next time try asking first."
To me, the pointing has connotations of an order being given to a dog. It's extremely rude. I would have been livid and no way would that guy have gotten my seat.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by wpxstar
Just talking to my wife about this type of situation... if this had happenned on a long haul with a carefully selected seat- and I would have done exactly what you did. That is just plain obnoxious that someone would poach a long haul seat.
It happens. In fact, once a nonrev grabbed my BE seat and settled in, shoving my possessions aside (the seat was clearly occupied at that point) when I went to the lavatory. He spilled beer on my pillow and was insistent and obnoxious about it, demanding to know why I wouldn't switch. In retrospect, I wish I had lodged a major complaint.......
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
... it didn't matter, the seats were the same...
I love this one -- so if they're all the same, go sit in your own %&*$ seat!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
I love this one -- so if they're all the same, go sit in your own %&*$ seat!
That's what I said, but without the expletive.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:46 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by 18sas
Bingo.

Ask first, don't expect me to give in to someone's rude behaviour!
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by havnfn
Bingo.

Ask first, don't expect me to give in to someone's rude behaviour!
I've been in situations where I've told the person very explicitly that I might have considered switching seats if he had asked politely instead of just taking my seat. Usually the response is a dumb stare.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K, AA EXP, US G, SPG P, HH D, MR G, NEXUS/GE, DL AMEX Reserve
"Yes, I WOULD mind. I selected this specific seat when I purchased my ticket three weeks ago." Then stand there until the guy moves. Don't encourage a seat snatcher.
+1. If the person asks you first then fine. Don't just sit in someone else's seat without asking first. Otherwise I won't be switching with you.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
That's what I said, but without the expletive.
Expletives are only for venting here on FT IIRC, I think it was you who said it best elsewhere: don't argue or negotiate, just get the FA.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by KevinDTW
Expletives are only for venting here on FT IIRC, I think it was you who said it best elsewhere: don't argue or negotiate, just get the FA.
......and I've seen expletives get people kicked off of flights.
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
It happens. In fact, once a nonrev grabbed my BE seat and settled in, shoving my possessions aside (the seat was clearly occupied at that point) when I went to the lavatory. He spilled beer on my pillow and was insistent and obnoxious about it, demanding to know why I wouldn't switch. In retrospect, I wish I had lodged a major complaint.......
I also had a nonrev grab my seat (about 4 years ago). When he saw my intentions to claim my seat, he asked if I could switch seats. I told him I had selected it in advance because of a personal preference with that seat, his answer was that his personal preference was not having another man sitting by his girlfriend (Also with a big bold NRSA in the BP). It turned out that his girlfriend was not even in the right seat.

Last edited by SDQBound; Sep 29, 2014 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by B7e7US
I also had a nonrev grab my seat (about 4 years ago). When he saw my intentions to claim my seat, he asked if I could switch seats. I told him I had selected it in advance because of a personal preference with that seat, his answer was that his personal preference was not having another man sitting by his girlfriend (Also with a big bold NRSA in the BP). It turned out that his wife was not even in the right seat.
Wife and girlfriend both on the plane? Wow.

BTW, where was this? Not wanting another man sitting next to girlfriend would seem to seriously limit her life in terms of job, riding public buses and subways, going to church, waiting for medical appointments, etc. Could this have happened in the middle east or someplace similar?
Old Sep 29, 2014, 1:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Wife and girlfriend both on the plane? Wow.

BTW, where was this? Not wanting another man sitting next to girlfriend would seem to seriously limit her life in terms of job, riding public buses and subways, going to church, waiting for medical appointments, etc. Could this have happened in the middle east or someplace similar?
Sorry, fixed my post, I meant to say girlfriend. Too much stress with my own wedding prep. Surprisingly, this was SDQ-JFK, the couple was from the U.S.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.