Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: BadgerBoi
The Definitive Guide to Seat Poaching

1. Don't do it.
2. Alternatively to #1: Asking politely (and not demanding) to swap for an equal or better seat is acceptable by most (but the final decision always lays with the original seat holder)...but, be warned, some FT'ers may breathe fire at you.
3. Keep in mind that Point 2 is not seat poaching.
Print Wikipost

Seat Swapping, Seat Poaching and Seating Etiquette: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by PTravel
Ah, now you're catching on. I expect them to leave me alone and not ask. Why in the world would you think it's remotely acceptable to bother someone with headphones on and eyes closed?

RUDE people are going to ask in those circumstances. That's the whole point. There is no RIGHT to have a swap request heard. I don't need to make myself available to you so that you can ask me for a favor.

No, it isn't. There is no right to go around pestering people about changing seats. 99.9% of people board a plane, take their assigned seats, and then go about their business without bothering anyone else.

That's essentially correct.

Are you serious? Really, in what world do you think it's acceptable to bother someone who's trying to sleep so you can ask them for a favor that, among other things, will require that they put all their gear away, get up and move somewhere else IF they agree?
The entire notion of you trying to sleep is an awfully convenient way to frame the issue. We are to believe that every time you set foot on an airplane, you immediately start dozing off as the rest of the plane is still boarding, announcements are being made, people are jostling luggage, etc. You must be in a window seat every time for this to be even remotely believable given that all of us regularly get bumped repeatedly with roller bags, backpacks and purses as the lower boarding zones file past us in aisles barely wide enough for supermodels. Even in a window seat, it's implausible most of the time.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Honestly, if I was just dozing off and you tapped my shoulder and said, "Excuse me, but would you change seats with me so I can sit next to my?" my response wouldn't be polite and, probably, would include a threat to have the FA notify the police and have you arrested if you touched me again.
Threatening arrest because someone tapped you on the shoulder while boarding is still underway is patently absurd behavior. That's not to say that one should interrupt someone who is sleeping. They shouldn't -- although, again, the I'm always dozing off immediately when I sit down defense rings hollow. But even if you were dozing off, your response would be an incredible overreaction.

By all means, keep posting your thoughts. You're simply proving that our characterization of the crux of your opinions -- characterizations with which you took such umbrage just a few posts ago -- are "dead on balls accurate." ("It's an industry term.") Plus, you don't want to let Proudelitist be the most memorable person in this thread.

Last edited by GatorBlues; Oct 13, 2017 at 11:09 pm
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
FWIW....

SJC-ATL (redeye boarding now) I was assigned 1B and as I boarded an older gentleman asked me politely if I would take 1C so he could sit next to his wife. I asked "aisle for aisle?" And when he said "yes" I accepted the trade.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
SJC-ATL (redeye boarding now) I was assigned 1B and as I boarded an older gentleman asked me politely if I would take 1C so he could sit next to his wife. I asked "aisle for aisle?" And when he said "yes" I accepted the trade.
How dare he ask you to swap?!?! Why did you let him walk all over you like that?!?! You should have told him no on principle!! Plus, there's no way he asked you politely. That never happens.
Fizzer likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
How dare he ask you to swap?!?! Why did you let him walk all over you like that?!?! You should have told him no on principle!! Plus, there's no way he asked you politely. That never happens.
Only because he had shined shoes on. And because I had not yet put in my Bose buds or erected my portable wall of seclusion/isolation.
Fizzer, GatorBlues and RaflW like this.
Old Oct 13, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Can't we all just get along?
Old Oct 14, 2017, 7:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by CrazyEddie
I really don't think there's room for this sort of discussion in this thread, which is purely dedicated to people giving attention to a couple of trolls who for some reason are allowed to endlessly spew the same post 400 times again and again.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:08 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Thread closed pending Mod Review
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
GRALISTAIR likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Due to some ridiculous personal exchanges I am giving this thread a timeout. If the moderators decide to reopen it this type of behavior needs to stop. If not the TOS will be strictly enforced.
RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.