Wiki Posts
Search

What's your snack basket type?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Smile What's your snack basket type?

While watching the snack basket get handed around last night on two separate flights, I realized I have devised an authoritative classification of fellow passengers. Perhaps I am the only one, but the sociology around the snack basket, I must admit, is entertaining. It always provides a fun distraction from whatever I'm in the midst of doing.

Here it goes, feel free to add your own:

The Hawk (H): eyes perk up at least one row prior to basket arrival as the Hawk eyes the dwindling supply of their favored (read: not pretzels or peanuts) delight, hoping it will survive the seats ahead.

The Dweller (D): the myriad of choice overwhelms, even though the snack basket hasn't changed in weeks. You know you've taken too long when the FA moves to hold the basket with a second hand.

The Overzealous (O): takes one of each and does so in a rush, attempting to fool their seatmate and the FA into thinking they only took two items. Success rate minimal.

The Frugal (F): thought about buying that sandwich to bring on board but never pulled the trigger. Now hoping the Goldfish/Cape Cod chips reappear and they can snag three bags. Because three 100 calorie packs = a good lunch.

The Shopper (S): uninspired by the bruise marks visible to them, they pick up and examine each banana to ensure the best possible selection for themselves, only to leave others with now even more bruised selections.

The Classic (C): you can throw all the fancy creme filled wafer pouches, brownie bite bags and fancy nut mix sachets to the side, what they serve in red and blue in coach is good enough for me in First.

I will say last night I witnessed several HOF passengers (yes, I think in some ways this is Myers-Briggs like), which I note increase at meal times on shorter segments. And I appreciate seeing a good C--I tend to warm up to them the most.

Snack well and happy flying!

Last edited by CGNC; Mar 9, 2015 at 3:00 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm normally H, but with F tendencies when there's no time to buy food in the airport. I miss the SC cheese and crackers option as a substitute for a light dinner.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:44 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
H here, sometimes exhibiting D tendencies as I look for the last item with chocolate in it. I've never let it get to the point of hand switching on the FA's part.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
More of an H for sure - but the Cape Cod chips never seem to make it past row 2...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
I am an H. I also make sure I know what I want before the basket gets to me. I love it when, on a red-eye, the FA has a flashlight to show what is in the basket.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by CGNC
While watching the snack basket get handed around last night on two separate flights, I realized I have devised an authoritative classification of fellow passengers. Perhaps I am the only one, but the sociology around the snack basket, I must admit, is entertaining. It always provides a fun distraction from whatever I'm in the midst of doing.
It appears that some people don't have enough to do.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
I'm mostly H, though a few times I've observed folks going past the snacking and grazing, and right into dining out of the snack basket.

I keep wondering if I will ever see one that's so bad that the FA will need to back to her station and refill the basket.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:31 pm

I classify myself as:

The Woody (W): select whatever is in the snack basket that looks like it will pair best with a Woodford.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 0.4MM
Originally Posted by Auston
I classify myself as:

The Woody (W): select whatever is in the snack basket that looks like it will pair best with a Woodford.
I wish they had Makers instead.

What do you call the person that just grabs some chocolates for the wife and doesn't eat anything? heh heh. My life will be easier when they stop carrying those salted caramels (Sanders).

Or the poor sleeping sucker that sleeps right through the snasket presentation.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Auston
I classify myself as:

W - That is absolutely what I have become and those dark chocolate salty/sweet snack pair absolutely perfectly with a Woody IMHO ^
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jeffjohnvol

What do you call the person that just grabs some chocolates for the wife and doesn't eat anything? heh heh. My life will be easier when they stop carrying those salted caramels (Sanders).

The GIFTER (G)...

Unless you are in FC on a complementary upgrade, in which case you are a GRIFTER. (I don't actually believe that, but I thought I'd go a ahead and say it, and save someone else the trouble. )

I'll join the predominate classification here. I am an H, with borderline O tendencies.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Mar 9, 2015 at 4:27 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:37 pm
Suspended

THE I CAN'T DECIDE - When you are in regular economy and are given the choice of either biscoff, peanuts, or pretzels, but can't decide what to get so you ask for one of each.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sweeper20
More of an H for sure - but the Cape Cod chips never seem to make it past row 2...
Ha! Those Cape Cod chips are what I am most often aiming for and I usually book early enough that I can get my preferred location of a second row seat. I am definitely a big H with an occasional F.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 4:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Miesque
Ha! Those Cape Cod chips are what I am most often aiming for and I usually book early enough that I can get my preferred location of a second row seat. I am definitely a big H with an occasional F.
Yes! Cape Cod chips for dinner.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Turbo Diamond, Functioning Alcoholic, Hertz Pres Circle (When they have cars), Marriott Lifer
Those salty caramel thingies are my dowwnfall. They taste horrible with gin and tonics, but I push through. I need to remember to get the Woodford when they bring them around, those mix well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.