March 2015 SkyMiles Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lcbj68c
Diamonds board first?

I've boarded 6 flights since 3/1/2015 and this hasn't happened once. It's been the typical crippled, FC, SkyPriority, Z1,Z2,Z3 setup. Is it only certain airports participating?
I think you will find that even though you are in the coach cabin, your BP zone will be PREM. DMs are now automatically in the PREM zone which is the first zone to board.*

And by first, I mean third after special needs and families with car seats.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I have mixed reactions to making it easier for people to earn MQDs. When MQDs were introduced, they were supposed to help to thin the herd of upper tier elites. Now DL seems to be changing course on this.
I suspect this is less about relaxing MQD requirements, and is more a precursor to making partner earning also based on revenue.

Right now, there's a strong incentive to book lower-fare tickets onto partners with favorable earning rates. Once the IT infrastructure is in place to reliably report revenue figures to Delta, it's not a huge jump to imagine that joint venture partner earnings will shift to the same scheme as Delta's.

The JVs are supposed to be operating carrier-neutral, and the current earning scheme makes that decidedly untrue from a frequent flier perspective. This seems like a first step towards removing the incentive to fly other carriers but credit to DL.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by yohanson
There are no longer any low awards available within 21 days of many flights. I've also been monitoring flights recently and I've noticed that many of the aircraft have lots of seats available the day they go out. With all of the last minute fares I book for work, you'd think you'd give me a break when I get some last minute free time and would like to book a low award on your half empty aircraft.
I haven't made it through this whole thread, so I don't know if this is addressed deeper down. But you will note this in footnote 1 to today's email. This makes clear the 21 advance purchase for the 10,000 mile award that we have recently noted.

Advance Purchase: All travel: 21 days
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
To what do you attribute AA's declining January unit revenue performance, since it didn't institute MQD BS? There's no press release yet by AA in February, and here we are on the sixth business day of the month. Southwest's January decline?
My guess is that weather problems have hit USA airlines hard the last several months. There were lots of waivers and cancelled flights.

Also, January is generally a slow month for air travel. I don't know whether the numbers you're seeing rarer seasonally adjusted or not. In other words, is revenue (or do you mean earnings) down from December or down compared to January 2014?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Asmara
So if I'm understanding correctly - a KLM ticket to/from Africa currently earns me about 14,000 miles. If ticketed via Delta.com on 006 stock, I pay about $1300 and earn about $1150 MQDs. On the new proposal, if I bought this ticket for $1300 from KLM, would I earn $2800 MQDs? (20% of the 14,000 miles??)
If A, Y, B, M, U fare...yes. At least that is how I understand it.
The MQD rates are actually pretty high. At 35%, it translates to less than 3 cpm. Better than a mileage run
So in your KL example, you would be instant MQD Silver by spending $1300 with KL but half way had you bought the ticket on DL.
Weird actually...
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
I suspect this is less about relaxing MQD requirements, and is more a precursor to making partner earning also based on revenue.

Right now, there's a strong incentive to book lower-fare tickets onto partners with favorable earning rates. Once the IT infrastructure is in place to reliably report revenue figures to Delta, it's not a huge jump to imagine that joint venture partner earnings will shift to the same scheme as Delta's.

The JVs are supposed to be operating carrier-neutral, and the current earning scheme makes that decidedly untrue from a frequent flier perspective. This seems like a first step towards removing the incentive to fly other carriers but credit to DL.
True, but we've already seen examples here of cheap tickets that earn many more MQDs under the 20% rule when they're booked with other carriers. I don't think this is what DL wants to do. It's rewarding folks using cheap tickets and also providing incentives to fly partners rather than DL.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by flyerwma
I haven't made it through this whole thread, so I don't know if this is addressed deeper down. But you will note this in footnote 1 to today's email. This makes clear the 21 advance purchase for the 10,000 mile award that we have recently noted.
I'd like to be able to find MSP-MSO-MSP for less than 40K 3 weeks in or less. I'm seriously thinking about flying AS. I can purchase $300 flights from them or at least I could a week ago. DL typically charges $489 >30 days out.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:37 pm
Suspended

... also providing incentives to fly partners rather than DL.
Sounds like DL want to stick the kettles to the partners, keep the HVCs for itself
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
OK, so (partner) Medallion Qualifying Dollars are based on Milesflown...

So an already complicated program is made even more complicated.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AB Platinum :( , AS 50K, Hilton Diamon, Marriott Gold, IHG Diamond AMB
Has anyone found any of these 10k redemptions yet? I've scrolled through a few months on a couple of random routes and didn't see any. The promotion is for selected markets, though no list of these is provided anywhere that I can see.

Whilst these MQD changes are potentially generous for long, cheap partner flights, they are way off base for shorter more expensive routes, evidently an imperfect, though still welcome, adjustment

Last edited by mreay; Mar 9, 2015 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

Just imagine, you will have the equivalent of a Math PhD when you finally and fully understand the Skymiles program! Google, Apple and others will want to hire you ASAP!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

Next step will be to remove the rules and tell us that whatever MQDs are credited must be correct by definition. So DL keeps the risk loving customers that prefer to play lotteries.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:48 pm
Suspended

Next step will be to remove the rules and tell us that whatever MQDs are credited must be correct by definition.
That's why you are gonna COPY ALL AND EVERY TABLE RIGHT NOW to just make sure that won't happen to you!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by mreay
Has anyone found any of these 10k redemptions yet? I've scrolled through a few months on a couple of random routes and didn't see any. The promotion is for selected markets, though no list of these is provided anywhere that I can see.

Whilst these MQD changes are potentially generous for long, cheap partner flights, they are way off base for shorter more expensive routes, evidently and imperfect though still welcome adjustment
Did DL just restore incentives for MRs, provided that they are done with partners?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 12:55 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
To what do you attribute AA's declining January unit revenue performance, since it didn't institute MQD BS? There's no press release yet by AA in February, and here we are on the sixth business day of the month. Southwest's January decline?
Sort of shooting from the hip, but I think the answer for AA is (1) an immediate uptick of fare pressure ex-DAL due to lifting the perimeter, putting pressure on yield, (2) AA adding several new longer flights ex-DFW to asia which may be under-performing and add a lot of ASM, (4) more exposure to South A which is getting hit, (4) AA did well in 1Q 2014 (as did DAL) so they have hard comps, while UAL sucked, so has easy comps, (5) and as you build up your yield (and out perform) it gets harder to continue to out perform as your competitors (UAL) can undercut you. in 2014 consolidated PRASM was SWA +5.1%, DL +3%, B6 +2.3%, AA +2.1%, UAL +1.6%. It gets harder and harder for AA or DL to outperform UAL which has lagged for three years.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
It may seem early in the year, but the brain trust in Atlanta has spoken and has tweaked the program to permit MQD on more tickets than initially planned. Call it tweaking or back-pedaling or "minor adjustments" or whatever you want - it reflects a change in course that I'm guessing results from competition or from internal recognition that the 2015 first quarter isn't shaping up as rich as 1Q2014.

Perhaps that speculation will be proven correct in the future. What we know today is that DL is relaxing some of its recent restrictions on elite qualification that appeared to make little sense.
My guess was that they are simply responding to pressure from elites and in particular from ME airlines. Delta (and UAL) have a choice, try to force elite international passengers to pay more/fly legs on DL (UA)/have a hard time booking some itinteraries, or potentially losing them entirely to the ME3 or other carriers, such as AA which are more agnostic about elite qualification. Someone evidently ran the numbers and found DAL could compete on the merits, so did not need to put a gun to it's elites heads to fly DAL, and made what is clearly a major (positive for DAL elites) business decision.

My guess is that weather problems have hit USA airlines hard the last several months. There were lots of waivers and cancelled flights.

Also, January is generally a slow month for air travel. I don't know whether the numbers you're seeing rarer seasonally adjusted or not. In other words, is revenue (or do you mean earnings) down from December or down compared to January 2014?
cancellations of flights, absent a "book away/cancelled trip" issues actually helps PRASM. I think AA and DL got a bounce from the cancellations in 1Q 2014, United - which could not handle the IRROPS well, got cancellations of tickets which hurt PRASM and total revenue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.