Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anybody looking at prices over Memorial Day - Prices Double or Triple

Old Mar 8, 15, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners

Just went to do an ATL - LHR in May and did a five week calendar. Travel May 14 and prices are passable at best ($1472) then watch it skyrocket to $3489. I checked a whole pile of routes from TPA too (TPA - LHR, TPA - AMS, TPA to WAW) and the prices jumped (doubled or tripled) on May 17 and then started falling on June 3.... I didn't look for cities in the US, but found these jumps in pricing amazing. With the low price of gas still in the US and Del-duh playing games with these high prices, I just wonder how many people are going to forego any air travel and drive and stay local.
Old Mar 8, 15, 12:11 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I think you need to provide a little more clarity here. That pricing is only true for trips that don't include a Sat night stay. Once you add Sat night, the fare drops down quite a bit (by about half). Including a Sat night stay isn't a big deal for most leisure travelers (especially when you can save $1700+). These fares are aimed at price insensitive biz flyers who fly in on a Sun or Mon and then leave on Thu or Fri because they want to spend the weekend at home.

Also, suggest you try MCO-LHR if you can't do a Sat night stay. Further, if you use google flights, you will see there are some ATL-LHR options involving VS flights that don't require a Sat night stay for cheaper fares.

Last edited by LBJ; Mar 8, 15 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 8, 15, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

You are right... They only went up $500 when you included a Saturday night stay rather than almost tripled... I still think it is wrong... I don't do MCO or VS... I wasn't trying to save money.. Just commenting on the HUGH fare differences...
Old Mar 8, 15, 11:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the spring, TATL fares traditionally go from low season to shoulder to high. There's probably a date threshold in what you're comparing.
Old Mar 9, 15, 9:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
In the spring, TATL fares traditionally go from low season to shoulder to high. There's probably a date threshold in what you're comparing.
I am sure that there is a date threshold. If I remember right, it is right around mid May that prices go up. I just don't remember them ever tripling. I think that there also might be a "sale" for a couple of days in April if historical pricing holds true. It is usually on the routes that don't fill up in May. For a couple of years, I tracked pricing, but gave that up after a while.
Old Mar 9, 15, 9:51 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by localady View Post
Just went to do an ATL - LHR in May and did a five week calendar. Travel May 14 and prices are passable at best ($1472) then watch it skyrocket to $3489. I checked a whole pile of routes from TPA too (TPA - LHR, TPA - AMS, TPA to WAW) and the prices jumped (doubled or tripled) on May 17 and then started falling on June 3.... I didn't look for cities in the US, but found these jumps in pricing amazing. With the low price of gas still in the US and Del-duh playing games with these high prices, I just wonder how many people are going to forego any air travel and drive and stay local.
Demand also skyrockets during that same period. Not sure if prices tripled on other airlines, but I'm sure the prices made significant jumps as well. Not surprising at all IMO
Old Mar 9, 15, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Navig8R View Post
Demand also skyrockets during that same period. Not sure if prices tripled on other airlines, but I'm sure the prices made significant jumps as well. Not surprising at all IMO
Not really... I am seeing them stay the same on UA throughout the month without even requiring a Saturday stay. The others went up 15 to 40 percent, but nothing like Delta's... I call it gouging... Just like a lot of the gas stations... Get the most $$$ from the customer they can.... Then if the government ever tries to step in and regulate prices, the airlines scream "unfair... what did we do"...

Now on the other hand... I tell everybody who hears me complain to go out and buy Delta's stock and cash in on their greed. Last year around this time it was $13.00 a share, now it is hovering between $40.00 and $45.00 and the dividends are healthy too... I do it and don't jump on the tripled prices .. I believe in equal opportunity gouging and greed...
Old Mar 9, 15, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MMô, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by localady View Post
Get the most $$$ from the customer they can....
If you don't think 98% of all business in the USA are ran this way, I have a sad awakening for you. It is called capitalism.

If gas stations get the most out of you they can....why aren't they charging $4 a gallon anymore? That is right...because they can't. The oil business is slightly different because the supply is artificially fixed but on the retail level there is plenty of competition. While, people think there isn't a lot of competition in the airline industry these days...there still is a good bit....and things like driving and not going is "competition."
Old Mar 9, 15, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
If you don't think 98% of all business in the USA are ran this way, I have a sad awakening for you. It is called capitalism.

If gas stations get the most out of you they can....why aren't they charging $4 a gallon anymore? That is right...because they can't. The oil business is slightly different because the supply is artificially fixed but on the retail level there is plenty of competition. While, people think there isn't a lot of competition in the airline industry these days...there still is a good bit....and things like driving and not going is "competition."
Driving is not an option for overseas flights...
Old Mar 9, 15, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Supply and demand....
http://www.investopedia.com/universi...economics3.asp

Search this Thread
Search Engine: