Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta MD80 skidss off runway @ LGA 11:09AM EST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:22 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alpinecow
Looks like the plane was coming in on emergency. Mightn't be that vectoring had nothing to do with it:

NYC Scanner @NYScanner · 55m 55 minutes ago

Queens: LaGuardia Airport PAPD reporting a inbound Delta flight # 1086 with a broken wing and fuel leaking Emergency units staging.
That sounds like the landing incident, not before the landing. I wouldn't think there would have been two other AC on final if DL1086 was declaring that type of emergency prior to landing. And the audio doesn't make any mention of an in-flight emergency.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:24 am
Suspended

Well now that I hear everyone is ok I can worry about the aircraft now. From the video/pictures it doesn't look like the plane received too much damage (the wing looks intact, no gashes in the front of the aircraft) but then again there could be a ton of internal damage. Too bad, I love the MD88's. Glad it didn't go into the water either, would've been a lot more injuries or even fatalities.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP; US-Silver; Marriott-Platinum; Starwood-Platinum; Hilton-Gold
Delta 1086

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102413682

Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Well now that I hear everyone is ok I can worry about the aircraft now. From the video/pictures it doesn't look like the plane received too much damage (the wing looks intact, no gashes in the front of the aircraft) but then again there could be a ton of internal damage. Too bad, I love the MD88's. Glad it didn't go into the water either, would've been a lot more injuries or even fatalities.
All the video and pictures I have seen are of the right side, with all passengers deplaning through the right over-wing exists. Even from this angle is clear that no one is deplaning to the left side, and that combined with the report of a fuel leak and ruptured left wing may indicate something much more serious on the other side. Has anyone seen pictures of the left side?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/06/ny...one-share&_r=0
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Would they usually use thrust reversers on this type of landing in an MD88 at LGA? AT least the right one isnt deployed in the continuously looping video

I like how the anchor occasionally notice that they are looking at old video but the CNN.com lady doesnt seem to understand its the same 30 seconds looping continuously from that lady's instagram post
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Lol, I think someone at Fox5 is monitoring this thread, they seem to be extracting talking points...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
All the video and pictures I have seen are of the right side, with all passengers deplaning through the right over-wing exists. Even from this angle is clear that no one is deplaning to the left side, and that combined with the report of a fuel leak and ruptured left wing may indicate something much more serious on the other side. Has anyone seen pictures of the left side?
That's actually a very good point, haven't seen any pictures yet of the left side.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Down3Green
for those wondering why they would land on RWY13, here is the weather at the time of the landing:

RWY31 does not have a precision approach and you couldn't come close to landing in this weather. RWY04 does have an ILS, but the visibility requirements are relatively high at 1sm/RVR5000. RWY13 has an RVR limit of 2400 which makes it the only viable runway for this weather. (and btw, I don't see any 20 kt tailwind)
18mph tailwind (from NW) was reported by Bill Evans of NY WABC Channel 7 while diagramming the approach and landing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by geckoflyer
According to fly.faa.gov, the airport (LGA) is closed until 6:59pm EST tonight. That could always be changed of course.
Should have been closed due to weather anyway. Newark, Philly, Dulles. They're all basically shutdown.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by mother-
Lol, I think someone at Fox5 is monitoring this thread, they seem to be extracting talking points...
All of the major NY TV stations are monitoring it - www.7online.com is WABC, www.myfoxny.com is Fox 5, www.nbcnewyork.com is Channel 4.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by george 3
18mph tailwind (from NW) was reported by Bill Evans of NY WABC Channel 7 while diagramming the approach and landing.
Bill Evans, the ultimate authority
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by gooselee
Very glad that everyone on board and on the ground seems to be okay.

But, good lord. CNN, that bastion of reporting integrity, is stressing, based off a single, very far away still photo, that the rear landing gear failed or broke off. Followed by commentary about cancelled flights and a tone hinting at why wasn't this flight cancelled, too?

Oh yeah, CNN's days as the bastion of reporting integrity ended years ago, but if there was any doubt, the Malaysia flight put a nail in the coffin of CNN's respectability.

Originally Posted by rylan
Glad no serious injuries.
From some of the video I saw, the right wing has damage along with the nose.

And yeah, gotta love CNN. I'm surprised they didn't post a story about the missing Malaysia flight again too.
Yeah. Judging by the photos, the news stations claiming the wing broke off are overstating things. (No surprise) It's fair to say the wing tip was clipped. Enough to spill fuel. In defense of the journalists, they got the "wing broken off" story from one of the passengers.

I'd love to start getting a sense of the repairability of this plane. I'm assuming this plane is not a total loss. It will fly again.

Originally Posted by CaptainMiles
Interesting that the tower appears not to see the accident aircraft at the end of runway 13, and has to be told about the accident by someone else on frequency. RVR was reported at 4500 feet, and distance from tower to that overrun area where the aircraft stopped is about 5000 feet. So odds are tower could not see it.
I don't know if ATC is in the same location as the tower cam, but the tower cam the local Fox station was streaming right after the news broke was white-out. Viewers couldn't even tell there was a plane out there. Probably no better for ATC.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTom111
Should have been closed due to weather anyway. Newark, Philly, Dulles. They're all basically shutdown.
My US flight to PHL from CHS is still on time for this afternoon! Fingers crossed...I have a wedding mid-day tomorrow.

Per NBC NY, there's a news conference scheduled for 1pm EST. (ETA: Now 1:30pm EST)
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Down3Green
for those wondering why they would land on RWY13, here is the weather at the time of the landing:

KLGA 051551Z 01008KT 1/4SM R04/2800V3500FT SN FZFG VV009 M03/M05 A3012 RMK AO2 SLP199 P0006 T10331050

RWY31 does not have a precision approach and you couldn't come close to landing in this weather. RWY04 does have an ILS, but the visibility requirements are relatively high at 1sm/RVR5000. RWY13 has an RVR limit of 2400 which makes it the only viable runway for this weather. (and btw, I don't see any 20 kt tailwind)
Allow me to correct you. That is not the weather at the time of landing. That is the weather at 1551Z, some 12 minutes before the landing.

We have two more recent reports. An aircraft was cleared to depart at 1600Z from runway 4 and at the time given landing RVR of 4500 ft. Another aircraft asked for a wind check at approximately 16:00:25 (and presumably that was DL1086 who asked, not sure) and the wind then was 020@10. That would be a 4-knot tailwind component.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.