Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta falling behind with new aircraft and upgraded domestic First meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta falling behind with new aircraft and upgraded domestic First meal service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2015, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
but most FF get excited by new generation aircraft.
You are smoking crack if you believe this. MOST frequent fliers don't pay ANY attention to the aircraft they select. Maybe, just maybe, they try to avoid the CRJ but even that is a stretch for "most."
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by indufan
You are smoking crack if you believe this. MOST frequent fliers don't pay ANY attention to the aircraft they select. Maybe, just maybe, they try to avoid the CRJ but even that is a stretch for "most."
It's clear that Wpgjetse is simply taking his/her own opinion and generalizing it to a broader population with absolutely zero data or other relevant evidence to support such a generalization. There's nothing wrong with someone being excited about airplanes - many of us on FT are. There is something wrong with assuming that just because you like jelly donuts, so does the rest of the world.

Virtually all non-administrative employees in my company spend 60%-70% of their time on the road. The biggest things I hear when people are talking air travel is something like "I was on one of those planes with the two seats on one side" or something. I've equally heard people that rent cars and can't even remember what model they have when a valet asks. Stuff like that just isn't top-of-mind. Time, price, and convenience is far more relevant.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by indufan
HA!! Even my never-frequent flying, not an airliner freak, husband tells me to book away from CR2s and E145s. He hates those gd things as much as the most seasoned frequent flyer.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by robnsfla
It seems when compared to the two other US domestic legacy carriers...Delta is falling behind in new aircraft...example American and United both have the 787 Dreamliner...Delta's latest addition is the 717 into service..a nice CRJ alternative but not real eye popping...737-900's as well, nice but a little cramped and hardly the roomier feel of the 757 it is replacing
Delta customers would like to be able to at least experience the 787 or the A380 on Delta metal

United is touting much more enhanced domestic meal service....Delta still has the same stuff....with FCM Delta should give a better meal service back to the customer for paying more and more $$$ to fly in First

Over the last few years Delta has become SO FIXATED on cost cutting and driving revenue higher...I feel they have fallen behind on investing in the business...

You have to invest money to make money down the road...United and American are rolling out better products so hopefully Delta wakes up and catches up....
as someone who frequently pays full boat to sit up front I have to agree with you. The end product has really started falling behind especially this year. I've flown united and american in first so far this year which is really surprising to me as I didn't expect to fly other carriers.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by gooselee
It's clear that Wpgjetse is simply taking his/her own opinion and generalizing it to a broader population with absolutely zero data or other relevant evidence to support such a generalization. There's nothing wrong with someone being excited about airplanes - many of us on FT are. There is something wrong with assuming that just because you like jelly donuts, so does the rest of the world.

Virtually all non-administrative employees in my company spend 60%-70% of their time on the road. The biggest things I hear when people are talking air travel is something like "I was on one of those planes with the two seats on one side" or something. I've equally heard people that rent cars and can't even remember what model they have when a valet asks. Stuff like that just isn't top-of-mind. Time, price, and convenience is far more relevant.
Here is some facts, why new is better than old. The 787 is replacing the 767.

1) Speed - The cruising speed of a 787 is 913Km/h to the 767 cruising speed of 853km/h. This shortens most Asian flights by 45min.
2) Comfort - Higher moisture level- Bleedless air system
3) Higher pressurization - The 787 is pressurized to 8.98 psi and the 767 is only pressurized to 7.92 psi. That means, less jetlag because your body feels a pressure of 6000ft instead of 8000ft.
4) Higher ceilings - better feel in general(Boeing)
Old Mar 9, 2015, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM/Amex Reserve 2 Million Miler
As the original poster of this thread I'm glad a few people agree with me...

I just want to see the airline I fly and care about stay on top....

People that fly a lot and spend a lot of money on any airline do care about the aircraft type of equipment and the quality of the first class meal....

Actually my favorite Delta plane was the L-1011...very roomy and comfortable..many an ice creme sundae from ATL/LAX
I love the 767-300, the 777...and have no problem with the 757,MD 88/90

I really love the CRJ 700/900 as well

737-900 is nice but a little cramped...it could be a whole better plane
slightly reconfigured (bathroom behind first and a few more feet for the galleys and a few more inches in the Bulkhead)...was on 2 of them today and it was nice to see the Dish TV up and running !!!

If Delta still has options on the 787..it should exercise them...many airlines are touting that plane in their advertisements...that was my point and I think a lot of customers would pay up to be on one...

I also really feel there is a market for enhanced domestic meal service...similar to the old Royal Medallion service..I would like to see Delta test market this on say a late afternoon flight from ATL/SFO or ATL/LAX or ATL/SEA....once again I think people would pay up for the enhanced royal service....so I'm basically advocating International service quality on select domestic First flights besides the NYC market....
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, IHG Spire, Mariott Platinum (UA SI) Avis First, National Executive
Originally Posted by davidviolin
I for one, hope DL excercies its 18 787's they have on order from before the merger with NW. If for nothing else, the bleedless design makes a big difference. I've flown the 787 many times and every time I feel better after a long flight than any of the other planes.
Enjoying the 17 inch wide seats?
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
As the original poster of this thread I'm glad a few people agree with me...

I just want to see the airline I fly and care about stay on top....
You haven't responded to the posts that have pointed you to the information regarding Delta's plans for purchasing brand new A350s and A330s.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...0-a330neo.html

Also, you say people are willing to pay up. How much extra would YOU be willing to spring for to fly a B787 from, let's say, FLL to LAX?

Last edited by davetravels; Mar 9, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Actually my favorite Delta plane was the L-1011...
Best plane ever! I really miss them on the hourly MCO-ATL shuttle.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Actually my favorite Delta plane was the L-1011...very roomy and comfortable.. ..
Originally Posted by cmd320
Best plane ever! I really miss them on the hourly MCO-ATL shuttle.
Count me in on the L1011. It has been my fav of all time.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by localady
Count me in on the L1011. It has been my fav of all time.
Adding in the 500 series and I'm in.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Here is some facts, why new is better than old. The 787 is replacing the 767.

1) Speed - The cruising speed of a 787 is 913Km/h to the 767 cruising speed of 853km/h. This shortens most Asian flights by 45min.
2) Comfort - Higher moisture level- Bleedless air system
3) Higher pressurization - The 787 is pressurized to 8.98 psi and the 767 is only pressurized to 7.92 psi. That means, less jetlag because your body feels a pressure of 6000ft instead of 8000ft.
4) Higher ceilings - better feel in general(Boeing)
Next time you're at an airport, go ask 10 random passengers whether they know all/any of this and whether they actually care. You can even salt the sample by doing this at the gate of a 787 departure. If more than two of them say yes, I'd be surprised.

That informal survey is more relevant to your prior claims regarding general passenger preference than technical specs which most of the traveling public don't pay attention to.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 5:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by gooselee
Next time you're at an airport, go ask 10 random passengers whether they know all/any of this and whether they actually care. You can even salt the sample by doing this at the gate of a 787 departure. If more than two of them say yes, I'd be surprised.

That informal survey is more relevant to your prior claims regarding general passenger preference than technical specs which most of the traveling public don't pay attention to.
Actual I have talked to a lot of pax, check in staff and AC concierge. They all say the opposite of you. YVR to YYZ busiest flight, hardest to get upgrades is their 787 flight. Talk to pax/staff with SQ, and they will tell you the same thing. Their A380 flights from HKG to SIN are the busiest. You and your circle may not care, but the majority of pax do. I don't think pax will wait all day to fly a new aircraft, but a hour are so, yes.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by IflyfromABE
Enjoying the 17 inch wide seats?
1. Not all seats are 17.3 inch. Some 36 or 48 of them are BF seats.

2. Personally if I fly economy I would rather sacrifice 0.7 inch of width if I know the air im breathing does not come from the engines. They SAY it is clean, but there are a growing number of people out there that say otherwise and after flying many times with the 787 I can't say its the reason but I really do feel much better after. Maybe its the cabin pressure, bleedless air, mood lighting or the big windows - I don't know.

3. If width is all that matters to you, fly the 777 which is a good aircraft. (OR F) IF you can find an airline that does not do 3-4-3 which is worryingly becoming the norm these days.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Really couldn't care less about the airframe itself. It's the interior setup that matters. I'd rather fly a 707 with Singapore's suites and service than a 787 in United coach, for example. For that matter, an A330 with lie-flats is vastly superior to an A380 with angled flats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.