Wiki Posts
Search

Does Delta not want my business?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Does Delta not want my business?

Searching for fares in April. Round trip, PNS to ATL.

Paying with miles returns prices between 25k and 30k. I can pay 20k and $200 cash which is insane.

I then book using credits in "My Wallet". I made it all the way to the "Purchase Now" link and get "We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #3006R"

I switched browsers (Firefox to Chrome) and found identical flights with identical fare codes. After clicking "Purchase Now", the same error "We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #3006R" is shown.

It's an L-fare on an MD88 5+ weeks out. The seat map shows the plane is 60% empty.

IT bug? Anything I'm doing wrong?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The fare sold out. This means that DL predicts it will sell seats at higher prices. If it is correct, it will sell the seats at higher prices. If it is incorrect, it can offer the cheap seats again later. Even if the seat map is an accurate representation of how full the flight is (and it is not), that has nothing to do with what DL can sell over the next 5 weeks.

DL has access to vast amounts of data which you don't. Unless you've got data suggesting that DL should open up more L inventory because it can't sell at L+, you've got your answer.

UA and AA don't do it any differently. So real question is, what does it matter whether DL wants your trade or not?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by aww3583
Searching for fares in April. Round trip, PNS to ATL.

Paying with miles returns prices between 25k and 30k. I can pay 20k and $200 cash which is insane.

I then book using credits in "My Wallet". I made it all the way to the "Purchase Now" link and get "We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #3006R"

I switched browsers (Firefox to Chrome) and found identical flights with identical fare codes. After clicking "Purchase Now", the same error "We're sorry. The fare for the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #3006R" is shown.

It's an L-fare on an MD88 5+ weeks out. The seat map shows the plane is 60% empty.

IT bug? Anything I'm doing wrong?
While it is possible the fare really sold out, it could, in fact, be a bug. You can usually call in and get it booked (with fees waived) if there really is availability.

I've had this happen a time or two. It shouldn't be so difficult to give a company money.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist
I can see fares available for $290 for Basic Economy (non-refundable, non-changeable) and around $300 for Main Cabin in April.

Have you checked the certificates you're trying to use? Sometimes these can cause weird issues on the website - may be worth a call to the Medallion desk to inquire.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
'Trouble redeeming eCerts online' would be a much more descriptive title than the OP has offered here.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:30 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Often1
The fare sold out. This means that DL predicts it will sell seats at higher prices. If it is correct, it will sell the seats at higher prices. If it is incorrect, it can offer the cheap seats again later. Even if the seat map is an accurate representation of how full the flight is (and it is not), that has nothing to do with what DL can sell over the next 5 weeks.

DL has access to vast amounts of data which you don't. Unless you've got data suggesting that DL should open up more L inventory because it can't sell at L+, you've got your answer.

UA and AA don't do it any differently. So real question is, what does it matter whether DL wants your trade or not?
The same fare showing up over and over again only to then "sell out" when the person tries to purchase isn't an actual sell out it's a bug probably related to the attempt to use the certs. This bug is well known on this forum and at any rate this OP certainly didn't require a douchey, condescending response like this.

OP: Call in. You can probably get the fare you found and use your cert too.
tvnwz likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
OP here...

Unfortunately, I can't edit the subject, but something along the lines of "trouble using certs" would have been more accurate.

I called in and the rep did a great job of straightening things out.

One of my certs was from a cancelled trip due to illness. The other cert was from a cancelled return leg that I moved to a different date. Apparently these are two different types of certificates that can't be combined.

The agent explained everything regarding the differing types of certificates and apologized he couldn't combine them. Not a problem, I understood he has a policy to follow.

He said "Which cert would you like to redeem for this trip?" and I replied "The one from the cancelled trip due to illness, because it's slightly larger ($8 difference)."

He said "Are you feeling better?" and I said "Oh yes, of course. Thank you for asking."

He said "I apologize again for the inconvenience with the website and the confusing error message. We'll go ahead and refund the $200 cancellation fee from your previous trip and apply the refund to this certificate."

I thought that was incredibly generous. When not traveling on OPM, every dollar helps!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by aww3583
OP here...

I thought that was incredibly generous. When not traveling on OPM, every dollar helps!
Despite what some on here say, Delta is a good airline with good people.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:07 pm

Location: Just relocated to Phoenix, so I guess that does it for Delta for me
Programs: DL "Annual" GM 2MM, AA lifetime Gold 1MM, Hilton Gold, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Despite what some on here say, Delta is a good airline with good people.
I agree about the good airline and good people. Not so sure about the executive management, however.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HongKonger
The same fare showing up over and over again only to then "sell out" when the person tries to purchase isn't an actual sell out it's a bug probably related to the attempt to use the certs. This bug is well known on this forum and at any rate this OP certainly didn't require a douchey, condescending response like this.
+1 and well said. No need for douchey posts. Often1, what's your problem?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by lovecabo
I agree about the good airline and good people. Not so sure about the executive management, however.
I really wish they would listen to the rank and file more. I really like the people I see each day as I fly. Perhaps the executive management needs to spend a day or two in the place of the GA who needs to explain how a person without status gets the C+ seat over a DM in an exit row. Or how the FA needs to guard the FC bins from others trying to get in under the new rule for how people board. Or if they have to answer a call from someone trying to use a variety of redemption certificates on line and it gets messy. It is also the Skyclub agents who have to turn away folks when their families when Delta management makes an enhancement. I am starting to see a trend in the posts of FT. Most of the issues are not from the people who we see as frequent travelers, it is that they are forced to implement arbitrary and capricious decisions without little or no input from the people that need to enforce these policies. I am done with the bashing of the people who have to implement these policies and put the blame where it belongs. It is not IT that caused the OP problem, its delta management.
Old Jun 4, 2020, 6:54 am

you were right

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
'Trouble redeeming eCerts online' would be a much more descriptive title than the OP has offered here.
Thank you. Was exactly my problem. Having been trying to book with variation of times and days and once I tried it without redeeming my ecredit, it went through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.