Unaccompanied Minor Fee

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Unaccompanied Minor Fee

For those of you who use Delta's Unaccompanied Minor program....the fee is now (for tickets brought on or before Mar 3rd) $150 each way. I checked Delta.com to confirm.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by OHDL1
For those of you who use Delta's Unaccompanied Minor program....the fee is now (for tickets brought on or before Mar 3rd) $150 each way. I checked Delta.com to confirm.
Thanks for the info.

I guess I missed DL's announcement.

I have used the UM program for my grandchildren, and I appreciate the responsible, caring way the front line folks implement it.

But, at what point does this ratcheting up of fees become rapacious in the public's perspective?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:18 pm

Wow. That is ridiculous. I think the airlines are playing with fire as they continue to increase fees. The danger is that I think the feds will eventually start to step in and begin to more severely regulate the industry. It will be a nice battle for the lobbyists.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by emrdoc
Wow. That is ridiculous. I think the airlines are playing with fire as they continue to increase fees. The danger is that I think the feds will eventually start to step in and begin to more severely regulate the industry. It will be a nice battle for the lobbyists.
Yep, has happened in a few industries. Greed takes over until eventually the government steps in and regulates them, then they cry about over regulation.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I don't know what the fee was before the increase, but $150 each way does not seem to me an unreasonable amount to pay for the airline to assume this responsibility.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I don't know what the fee was before the increase, but $150 each way does not seem to me an unreasonable amount to pay for the airline to assume this responsibility.
It was $100 each way.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by rob0225
Yep, has happened in a few industries. Greed takes over until eventually the government steps in and regulates them, then they cry about over regulation.
Amen...
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
But, at what point does this ratcheting up of fees become rapacious in the public's perspective?
I thought that time had already come and gone.

David
Old Mar 3, 2015, 4:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Everybody thinks that the particular service they want is too expensive. I'd be interested in some hard facts if anybody has more than a gut feeling abojut what is "too expensive" More likely it's simply making the people who use the service pay for it rather than having it subsidized by all.

UM service is well worth the cost when things go sideways. In IROPS, DL will pay two employees to spend the night with the UM and pick up the tab for the hotels + food. That's because a UM can't stay alone and one employee is asking for trouble. Those employees presumably are paid OT and the people who replace them earn some premium too.

The alternative of charging say $50 and then in IROPS requiring $1,000 or more seems to me to be what people don't want. But, I guess reading this thread, I may be wrong.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Everybody thinks that the particular service they want is too expensive. I'd be interested in some hard facts if anybody has more than a gut feeling abojut what is "too expensive" More likely it's simply making the people who use the service pay for it rather than having it subsidized by all.

UM service is well worth the cost when things go sideways. In IROPS, DL will pay two employees to spend the night with the UM and pick up the tab for the hotels + food. That's because a UM can't stay alone and one employee is asking for trouble. Those employees presumably are paid OT and the people who replace them earn some premium too.

The alternative of charging say $50 and then in IROPS requiring $1,000 or more seems to me to be what people don't want. But, I guess reading this thread, I may be wrong.
How about a non-stop flight? What do you get for your $150?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
UA & AA already charge $150. They're just matching the competition.

Southwest only charges $50 each way, limited to nonstop & direct domestic flights only.

IROPS can still happen after a plane leaves the gate, and flights can be diverted.

Last edited by MikeMpls; Mar 3, 2015 at 6:11 pm
Old Mar 3, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by MikeMpls
UA & AA already charge $150. They're just matching the competition.

Southwest only charges $50 each way, limited to nonstop & direct domestic flights only.
The joys of a competitive environment.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
How about a non-stop diversion?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
How about a non-stop diversion?
True...those are really common and often result in overnight stays for the affected flyers.

Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
I sure hope the Feds do so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.