Virgin Australia Award Booking Issues

Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite, SPG Platinum
For the past few days I've been trying to see the Virgin Australian flight option on Delta and now it's not coming up at all. I will be booking my return fight back in a few days when the date becomes available.

If VA flights don't show on the Delta site using miles, is there still a chance the agent on the phone can see them? The VA flights show up if you choose "By price".

Up to a couple of weeks ago I could see the VA flights for lower miles.

Any ideas?

* Just spoke with Delta. They do not show any award flights on VA. I have to keep checking back to see if it changes.

Last edited by Wisdom; Mar 23, 2015 at 1:14 pm Reason: update
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Pretty sure Virgin Australia award availability just isn't showing up at all on Delta right now and hasn't for a couple of days. Seeing direct (LAX-SYD, LAX-BNE) flights that are available for business rewards in VA's system that aren't showing up in award searches on Delta in June, October, and February. Called DL diamond desk and they confirmed that they're seeing the flights as DL flights operated by VA (even though it's really VA 8) and that they can't make award space on those flights. Woman I spoke to said she would contact the JV desk to see what's going on.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Pretty sure Virgin Australia award availability just isn't showing up at all on Delta right now and hasn't for a couple of days. Seeing direct (LAX-SYD, LAX-BNE) flights that are available for business rewards in VA's system that aren't showing up in award searches on Delta in June, October, and February. Called DL diamond desk and they confirmed that they're seeing the flights as DL flights operated by VA (even though it's really VA 8) and that they can't make award space on those flights. Woman I spoke to said she would contact the JV desk to see what's going on.
Thanks for the update. Not sure what's going on. I hope I don't have to use 175,000 miles for Delta business class instead of 80,000 for VA business.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Thanks for the update. Not sure what's going on. I hope I don't have to use 175,000 miles for Delta business class instead of 80,000 for VA business.
What dates are you trying to travel?
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:39 pm

@whoknew I'm trying to return around Feb 18,19,20,21 depending on what I can get. SYD to LAX
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Well that is more than 331 days out.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89
Well that is more than 331 days out.
Yep. But I checked Jan through Feb 16 of 2016 and there are no flights available for VA using miles.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:18 pm

I just got off the phone with Delta. The representative I spoke with double checked with his supervisor to confirm that Delta no longer has an agreement with Virgin Australia for booking reward travel. I hope that changes soon, but as of right now you cannot book any travel with VA using Delta points. Bummer.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

I just got off the phone with Delta. The representative I spoke with double checked with his supervisor to confirm that Delta no longer has an agreement with Virgin Australia for booking reward travel. I hope that changes soon, but as of right now you cannot book any travel with VA using Delta points. Bummer.
Wow! Bummer indeed.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I just logged in to check my reservation and Delta no longer shows my seat assignments on their reservation management page for the Virgin Australia flights.

Definitely looks like that functionality has been removed. The seat maps are unavailable.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by whoknew89
I just logged in to check my reservation and Delta no longer shows my seat assignments on their reservation management page for the Virgin Australia flights.

Definitely looks like that functionality has been removed. The seat maps are unavailable.
Yep. Not sure why....But I did confirm with Delta that the flight I do have booked with points from Delta on VA is ok. Just no more in the future.
Now I have to use 350,000 instead on 160,000 for my wife and I to return from SYD.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 5:56 pm

I vote for temporary glitch and not permanent problem with VA flights.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
It's almost certainly a temporary glitch. Delta and VA just applied for a 10-year extension of their joint venture, which includes:

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...ific-alliance/

coordinate[d] pricing, schedules, routes, offer reciprocal frequent flyer benefits and share revenue under the concept of metal neutrality.
So, unless Australia killed their JV and this is the first sign, I can think this is nothing but Delta's famous IT working its magic again.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
It's almost certainly a temporary glitch. Delta and VA just applied for a 10-year extension of their joint venture, which includes:

http://australianaviation.com.au/201...ific-alliance/

So, unless Australia killed their JV and this is the first sign, I can think this is nothing but Delta's famous IT working its magic again.
I sure hope you're right and I'm wrong. It's just that I was on the phone with Delta for quite awhile today and after waiting on hold I was told there was no agreement between Delta and VA.

And if it's a glitch, it's been going on for about 11 days. You'd think they would want to fix that right away.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 10:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat
I

And if it's a glitch.... You'd think they would want to fix that right away.
Really?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.