Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meltdown at IAH this morning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 7:53 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Deicing and the right mixture is actually quite complicated. Two years ago I had the opportunity to sit in the cockpit of an A321 leaving Frankfurt. The crew were weighing the cost of having more fuel in the wings (keeps them warmer, less ice buildup) vs a stronger mixture. The captain took a laptop out and they had an Excel spreadsheet where they entered expected flight times, fuel etc. and then based on that ordered a mixture ratio. It also involved different mixtures for different parts of the plane. I had always assumed there is simply a deicing fluid and you spray it on.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
A while ago one of our local TV stations did a thing where they sent a reporter to shadow a de-icing crew at MSP during a mild snow storm. It was fascinating.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A while ago one of our local TV stations did a thing where they sent a reporter to shadow a de-icing crew at MSP during a mild snow storm. It was fascinating.
Google found it.

http://www.kare11.com/story/entertai...delta/5229897/
Old Feb 27, 2015, 2:08 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
I don't know and could care less why . . .
The phrase is "couldn't care less". And welcome to Flyertalk.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
FYI for context, FlightStats.com shows the extent of the DL meltdown at IAH on 26 Feb.

Here's some of AA's first bank out of CLT that day. 'Meltdown' indeed.

Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, AA Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
FYI for context, FlightStats.com shows the extent of the DL meltdown at IAH on 26 Feb.

Here's some of AA's first bank out of CLT that day. 'Meltdown' indeed.

For context about this apple, allow me to show you an orange...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Flying out of Houston for 20+ years, I've never had one plane I was on that was de-iced or even came close to needing it. But yes, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a delay down here even if it's 40 degrees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.