Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Meltdown at IAH this morning

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Continited
This morning at IAH temps were hovering right around freezing, and we had had some light drizzle overnight. This led to some ice accumulation on aircraft sitting overnight at IAH... I arrived at IAH for my 7:05 flight to ATL to find that all the earlier ~6AM delta flights to all destinations had started progressive delays because of the ice build up on the aircraft, we were essentially waiting for temps to rise so ice would melt on its own. Since all gates were tied up, planes for the 7AM hour and beyond were still parked remotely until the gates cleared. My first thought was why couldn't they spray the planes down with fluid? Other airlines were spraying theirs down and leaving more or less on time...

Fast forward to 8AM, the earlier 6AM flight to ATL and all the other earlier flights started leaving, and were then deiced! If they could've been deiced earlier, why weren't they? Just a very confusing situation overall, wasn't really ever sure what the real story was and it caused some pretty massive delays and chaos at all the delta gates at IAH... My 7:05 to ATL wound up leaving at 9:00, luckily I had a very padded connection
The issue wasn't weather in Houston, the issue was weather in Atlanta. The Atlanta airport has two deicing areas and each one can only deice thirty aircraft a hour (60 total) so the airlines (mainly Delta as it's their biggest hub) spread out delays TO Atlanta to avoid gridlock for gates and LONG backups for the deicing areas. The airport was advertising only 80 arrivals a hour yesterday. The airport can handle almost twice that many arrivals (132) and 118 departures on a nice day, but reduced the rate because of weather.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:20 pm

Also, you can't deice an aircraft and have it sit around for a long time. Literally, if you deice an aircraft, you depart less than ten minutes later or you're going to have to deice again... Deicing is very, very expensive...
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
The issue wasn't weather in Houston, the issue was weather in Atlanta. The Atlanta airport has two deicing areas and each one can only deice thirty aircraft a hour (60 total) so the airlines (mainly Delta as it's their biggest hub) spread out delays TO Atlanta to avoid gridlock for gates and LONG backups for the deicing areas. The airport was advertising only 80 arrivals a hour yesterday. The airport can handle almost twice that many arrivals (132) and 118 departures on a nice day, but reduced the rate because of weather.
It was every flight to every destination, not just the ones to ATL. Also, other planes at IAH were deicing, and the announcement made was that we couldn't go because the planes had ice on them. Suggest you reread my post.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by Continited
It was every flight to every destination, not just the ones to ATL. Also, other planes at IAH were deicing, and the announcement made was that we couldn't go because the planes had ice on them. Suggest you reread my post.
I read your post correctly and I'm telling you why the flights to Atlanta were being delayed. I don't know and could care less why the flights to other destinations were delayed, but flights were being delayed to Atlanta to reduce gridlock because only 60 aircraft can deice and depart Atlanta in one hour! So if you reduce the arrival rate, you reduce delays departing Atlanta as you simply can't deice and wait around to depart for hours.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Ok, this is only tangental to the OP, but I can't stand the smell of the de-icing liquid. Makes me want to throw up. Also, I was on a plane in SLC when the de-icing truck clipped our plane and we all had to get on a different plane. It is really technical what they do on those de-icing rigs.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
De-icing aircraft is common throughout the winter in the USA, but it's not very common in Houston. Similarly, I doubt Miami or Phoenix or Los Angeles have any substantial de-icing setups.
They had an ice problem in PHX around Christmas, the solution was to tow the aircraft out of the shade at the gates into the sun to thaw.
Problem solved.^
Old Feb 26, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Norri
They had an ice problem in PHX around Christmas, the solution was to tow the aircraft out of the shade at the gates into the sun to thaw.
Problem solved.^
That's what they do in TPA.

Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Why would you think that DL has it's own deicing operation at a non-hub airport in TX? Why should they make such a financial investment?
Fair question, but DL has its own deicing truck in HSV which is obviously a much smaller non-hub airport for DL than IAH.

David
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
Deicing is done on a strict protocol, you can't deice a 8am departure at 6am for example. Sometimes up here in the tundra we are deiced, taxi out, come back, and deice again. The airfoil is sensitive to shape changes from ice, so it's important to get this right.
You can pre-spray planes as long as there is no falling precipitation AND they were configured for spraying by the last crew. We do it all the time up here in the Frozen Tundra. Additionally, if you are going back for more deicing then the weather changed.

We have two trucks, had three for a week until they realized they shipped the relic to the wrong station!

Last edited by Starblazer; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:01 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Why would you think that DL has it's own deicing operation at a non-hub airport in TX? Why should they make such a financial investment?
I have been to small non hub airports with Delta deicing equipment. I am pretty sure BIS has it. I can confirm Monday.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ebes1099
You made that conjecture before the OP said the truck had a DL logo on it?
Yes, because the OP mentioned that flights of other airlines were apparently being de-iced and leaving while all early morning DL flights were delayed and not leaving their gates.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.
Originally Posted by Robbyb03
I read your post correctly and I'm telling you why the flights to Atlanta were being delayed. I don't know and could care less why the flights to other destinations were delayed, but flights were being delayed to Atlanta to reduce gridlock because only 60 aircraft can deice and depart Atlanta in one hour! So if you reduce the arrival rate, you reduce delays departing Atlanta as you simply can't deice and wait around to depart for hours.
How many mornings this week has ATL had 60 ships/hour going to de-ice? (Iceman was super busy but didn't keep count, especially w a bunch of big wigs & the FAA sitting there watching him. He hasn't gone back to the paperwork. Clearly you did keep count. )

Last edited by PRWeezer; Feb 26, 2015 at 8:17 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Apparently my logic is faulty as multiple posters have reported seeing DL-branded deicing equipment at various smaller airports.

Thanks for the info, everyone!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
De-icing, as mentioned above, is a strict protocol. I don't know all of the details at all airports but at DTW and MSP there are designated de-icing areas. The de-icing fluid, which is poisonous and not environmentally friendly, is collected via a drainage system and recycled.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
This happened to us years ago at BWI when DL was in Pier C (since the merger they moved to Pier D). The battery on the de-icing fluid truck died before it could service our 6 am departure, and it took two hours to repair it.

Those were the days when the concierges in the Crown Room could really help you if you were in the top tier (this was in the pre-Diamond era). I was trying to get to SMF, and I misconnected to the 8:30 am departure from ATL. The staff in the CR got my ticket bumped up to full Y, they put me on an ATL-SLC-SMF reroute, and I managed to get the last upgrade seat to SLC.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 11:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Here at MCO we have a very sophisticated solar-powered de-icing system. It requires no manpower and zero operational costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.