Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been upgraded after you boarded?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

I'm sitting in a flight from ATL to BWI where I was the first passenger on the upgrade list after it cleared, and there is an empty seat in biz class. Should I not have boarded and waited to see if I got that seat? There were several people on the list behind me as well.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by jackgt
I'm sitting in a flight from ATL to BWI where I was the first passenger on the upgrade list after it cleared, and there is an empty seat in biz class. Should I not have boarded and waited to see if I got that seat? There were several people on the list behind me as well.
The gate agent should come on the airplane with a new boarding pass for you and move you before the plane leaves the gate. Its called a battlefield upgrade.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Ha, I asked the FA about it (there are two empty seats), she shrugged and said "we don't know how the computers work". That companion pass deal may be enough to get me to jump to SWA at this point.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 123Go
The gate agent may - but does not have to - come on the airplane with a new boarding pass for you and move you before the plane leaves the gate. Its called a battlefield upgrade.
Fixed that for you.

I have gotten on board upgrades before. I've just as often watched one or multiple seats go empty. I've also jumped dozens of people on the upgrade list by not boarding immediately, and being #1 remaining in the gate area when the GA cleared me into the empty seat.

If you want to ensure you get the upgrade if one becomes available, your best bet is to remain in the gate area, or at a minimum ask the GA how they plan to run things and if they will come on board to get you should a seat open because of a no show.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by javabytes
Fixed that for you.

I have gotten on board upgrades before. I've just as often watched one or multiple seats go empty. I've also jumped dozens of people on the upgrade list by not boarding immediately, and being #1 remaining in the gate area when the GA cleared me into the empty seat.

If you want to ensure you get the upgrade if one becomes available, your best bet is to remain in the gate area, or at a minimum ask the GA how they plan to run things and if they will come on board to get you should a seat open because of a no show.
Great post, I've often wondered what the best bet is. Thanks for the reply.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jackgt
Ha, I asked the FA about it (there are two empty seats), she shrugged and said "we don't know how the computers work". That companion pass deal may be enough to get me to jump to SWA at this point.
FA's are not supposed to upgrade people. They don't have access to the upgrade list. It's the responsibility of the GA to come aboard and move you up. You should check with the GA before boarding if you they will come aboard and move you up if there is a no show. If you want to be totally safe, you should probably just wait it out at the gate until you verify everyone has boarded in F.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've gotten it many times. On my flight home last week, the woman sitting next to me was pulled from the back.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:14 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
I would agree that the best bet is to wait in the gate area if not sure. If you are worried about your bag getting gate checked you could get 2,500 miles if it is late

I had a recent experience I was at the counter asking and the GA said they had checked F in full they started the boarding process and one of the F pax handed his BP and there was an issue. Both GA's were typing on their computers and I could here comments like which seat does he want. Apparently he had been double booked into F. I was still at the counter and asked if it meant it was not checked in full and the GA handed me my new BP in 1D. I don't know if they would have come to find me had I not paid attention and just boarded.

I probably would not have got the UG too if not for the other pax being double booked. A GM associate said he tried to FCM on the flight at check-in and couldn't because F was full
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:32 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Twice. But it depends upon the GA
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
NEVER on DL - a few times with CO
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I was last on the upgrade list last week with one person in F not having boarded yet. I asked the GA before boarding if she'd come on-board and move me up and, with a smile, she responded "of course, you deserve it!" The person showed so it didn't happen. And, as always, YMMV.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Once, as an FO, on an MSP-SEA flight on a 763. The gate agent sent a non-rev on with a boarding pass for my seat and my new boarding pass for 1C. It was my wife's birthday trip, so she got the upgrade and I chatted up the non-rev. I'd spoken with the GA before I boarded to make sure we were on the same page about how the upgrade would be handled.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
Had it happen several times as a GM. The most memorable was a JFK-FCO flight when I was initially seated deep in the bowels of coach on a last minute ticket. Both my wife and I were summoned by the gate agent and given adjoining seats up front.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Got pulled up from steerage to lie flat LAX-HNL just before the door shut. Hoozah!

I have found that a nice chat with the GA..."would you mind if I board and you can come get me if a seat opens up?"...helps immensely.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 9:43 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I was last on the upgrade list last week with one person in F not having boarded yet. I asked the GA before boarding if she'd come on-board and move me up and, with a smile, she responded "of course, you deserve it!" The person showed so it didn't happen. And, as always, YMMV.
I had the same interaction with a JFK GA recently and her answer was "once you board, you renounce your upgrade. It's up to you if you want to board or wait"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.