Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"I am traveling" economy awards pricing higher

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: OnTheSlopes
The official word from Delta:

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Dear FlyerTalk Community. Delta confirms that we are aware of an issue with awards shopping results and we are investigating with utmost urgency. We will post another update on Wednesday 2/25 once we can provide greater guidance. Thank you.
Addendum by a fan blogger:

Originally Posted by Delta Points
I also got an update from CORP. This one will have them up all night to fix. This one is BAD!
Delta Points adds:

From Delta SkyMiles PR MGR Anthony Black I got via e-mail:

"I saw your note on the award price issue. We are currently investigating and working to resolve the issue. I'll let you know what we find."

From SkyMiles Team (just updating the Wiki):

"All thank you for your patience. Early this afternoon we identified and corrected the error. This was never an effort to generate higher pricing for Medallion members versus other customers. We are currently working to identify impacted bookings to refund the overcharge of miles. We apologize for any inconvenience or angst this issue may have caused."
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Currently seeing issues with award pricing when selecting "I am traveling" while logged in. Only seems to affect economy, not FC. Tried DTW to MDW, ORD, BNA so far and seeing the same thing. For example, on March 10, the non-stop one-way's show NL availability at 17,500 miles with "I am traveling" set, but shows N availability at 12,500 miles when it is cleared (or not logged in). I can go all the way to check out and it remains at 12,500 miles. Anyone else seeing this? If they wanted to target, seems silly to make it conditional on the "I am traveling" flag.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Awesome! What happens when you uncheck and enter skymiles number at the next page? Or when enter none at all?

#enhanced
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Currently seeing issues with award pricing when selecting "I am traveling" while logged in. Only seems to affect economy, not FC. Tried DTW to MDW, ORD, BNA so far and seeing the same thing. For example, on March 10, the non-stop one-way's show NL availability at 17,500 miles with "I am traveling" set, but shows N availability at 12,500 miles when it is cleared (or not logged in). I can go all the way to check out and it remains at 12,500 miles. Anyone else seeing this? If they wanted to target, seems silly to make it conditional on the "I am traveling" flag.
Already a couple of other threads outlining how this seems to work...

e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-phone.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post24393521

Last edited by DeltaFan4Now; Feb 24, 2015 at 1:42 pm
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
Mind a reference? I've seen some conjecture, but haven't seen anything that was this consistently repeatable. I don't recall anyone providing actual routes and dates to test against.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Yikes, another DM reported this enhancement too, thought it was just a DM penalty, but I just replicated on DTW=ORD, same flight if I travel, 17,500, if not me, then 12,500! Wow
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now

e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ing-phone.html
That was pure conjecture/hypothetical and did not provide any actual pricing.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:44 pm

I noticed this same thing when I called in to book an award flight as well. I was quoted 32,500 miles for a flight if I wanted to book myself a seat, 25,000 miles for a friend or family member, or for only 10,000 points I could book a seat for Richard Anderson himself! Of course I went with the latter option and now I feel great knowing that I got an excellent redemption value out of my points!
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Yikes, another DM reported this enhancement too, thought it was just a DM penalty, but I just replicated on DTW=ORD, same flight if I travel, 17,500, if not me, then 12,500! Wow
Note that it still appears you can get the 12,500 price as yourself (just fill in your name afterwards). Under the old system where they had enhanced availability, it would reset the amount if you tried to enter someone else's name after selecting "I am traveling".
Old Feb 24, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by LBJ
Note that it still appears you can get the 12,500 price as yourself (just fill in your name afterwards). Under the old system where they had enhanced availability, it would reset the amount if you tried to enter someone else's name after selecting "I am traveling".
For now...but how much longer until online is like by phone and must provide traveler info (SM #) first before can get a price quote?
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, MM
Wow! I guess I'm naïve, but I truly did not think Delta would choose to do this. If true, then we now pay a penalty for being loyal customers. How does this make sense from a business perspective? I know Delta wants to get those miles off its books, but it seems to me that if this proves to be true then it will be final straw for a number of Delta's frequent flyers (myself included).
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Surely there must be a mistake...

Thankfully it always errors out for me at the end when I try to book for myself; I always have to pretend I'm a nobody and fill in my details later.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
That is pretty audacious if true. Then again, it fits perfectly well with removing the award chart.

I wonder how this can be explained by DL as an "benefit".
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
That is pretty audacious if true. Then again, it fits perfectly well with removing the award chart.

I wonder how this can be explained by DL as an "benefit".
Since everyone else is spending more miles, yours become more valuable.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Maybe this was the update to the loyalty program last weekend...
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I think some people should go to the media the way those two guys in the Twin Cities did when delta.com tried to charge them more for a ticket when they were logged in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.