Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive Delta Devaluation Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MSPeconomist
Please provide a link of the relevant discussion posted in the Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles forum so that fellow FlyerTalk members who want additional information can easily access it.

Separating this list by topic — such as Sky Club, for example — could also be helpful in finding information.

1) End of Stopover (& Open Jaws) award tickets
2) 2015 Revenue Based Program
3) SDC Same Day Change 1, 2 3 & 4
4) DL forces ExpertFlyer to remove ALL data pertaining to DL flights
5) Devaluation of Skymiles again and again
6) Skyclub $29 +1 upcharge for DM & Delta Reserve
7) E-Class fares no upgrade & other perks
8) Silver Medallion perk reductions
9) MQDs or qualifying dollars
10) Removing transcon upgrade for GM & FO
10') Removing transcon (JFK-LAX/SFO and vv routes) upgrade for PM
11) Removing Award wallet real-time tracking (for seat changes)
12) No more award HOLDs (for a few days)
13) T-72 Rule for Skymiles re-deposit
14) Removing elite gifts for both the year you earn and the next year status
15) OK, where is "Have One On Us"?: No more HOOU snack option
16) Delta RTW going away?: End of RTW or Round The World award tickets
17) Consolidator fares including for AMEX Travel
18) Limited food vouchers when bumped
19) All but eliminating Skyteam award choices
20) Less access to International third party lounges
21) Change - SkyMiles transfer upon death policy program update: Delta DieMiles – why you die so do your Skymiles
22) End to combining vouchers on one ticket
23) No LEVEL 1 awards on DL metal unles 21+ days
24) No Korean credit unless DL-CODE Share
24') Reducing the number of KE flights with DL codeshares
25) Reduced points when crediting to Alaska Airlines
26) End of HOOU (Have One on Us) coupons for elites
27) Removal of Award Charts
28) Removal of greater award space medallions
29) Removal of greater award space DL AMEX holders
30) Changes to Skybonus (min 5 + spend numbers)
31) Making it impossible to see fare rules about half of the time
32) Requiring that flights using GUCs/RUCs be flown before expiration, not just have the upgrade confirmed before expiration as was the case for SWUs.
33) Consolidation of upgrade codes making it harder to check that you are listed with the correct priority
34) Fewer international award tickets with overnight connections (under 24 hours)
35) AmEx regular Platinum card members no longer permitted (free) guests in SCs
36) DL Reserve cardholders no longer permitted (free) guests in SCs
37) No more cheese and crackers in SCs
38) DM/PM/GM and partner SkyTeam ElitePlus no longer given access to contract lounges before DL coach flights on international itineraries
39) AMS KLM lounges can no longer be used upon arrival
40) Changes in entry requirements for AF arrivals lounge at CDG?
41) Fewer self serve bars in SCs; tips now expected for all cold beverages other than water
42) Replacement of real plates in SCs first by black plastic and now by cheap white paper
43) Removal of private cubicles from SCs at MSP, DTW, LAX, and others
44) Removal of half decent wines from (some) SCs, for example Kenwood chardonnay, merlot, and cabernet at LAX
45) Removal of signs for quiet zone at MSP F/G SC
46) Removal of baby carrors from SCs
47) Removal of packaged crackers from SCs
48) Removal of chicken skewers from SCs after test period
49) Removal of butternut squash soup from SCs
50) Periodic replacement of real French champagne from the French region of Champagne by cheap horrible sparkling wine, especially removal of the champagne that won a "best business class champagne" award for DL from DL flights right after the award was announced
51) Removal of bread and butter plates and butter knives from BE trays
52) Reduction of MQM earning on M fares from 150% to 100%
53) Upgrade instruments no longer cover AF/KLM segments beyond CDG/AMS
54) Disappearance of upgrade space on partner flights such as AF/KLM
55) Elimination of SkyPriority TSA security lanes at some airports; to the extent that these are being replaced by PreCheck, lack of an elite PreCheck area
56) Increased replacement of real live DL check in agents by kiosks, especially when combined with the insistence at some airports that even elite and premium cabin passengers must first prove that they attempted to use the kiosk and failed before being permitted to talk to a human agent
57) Removal of ovens from aircraft, resulting in cold meals only, even on long flights at dinner time
58) Removal of the fourth row of FC seats from A319/A320 (although this is currently being changed back on the A320)
59) Removal of BE seats from the 777, making upgrades harder
60) Regular SC members no longer permitted (free) guests
61) Closure of the AF lounge at NRT
62) Loss of the Oasis lounge at JFK T4; its replacement (Wingtips) requires PP to enter
63) Increasing replacement of mainline flights by DL Connection service
64) GMs can't book EC/C+ seats for free until T-3 days
65) Some statements from DL that refer to elites seem to mean only GM+ (Does DL still consider FOs to be elite?)
66) Newly earned Choice Benefits cannot be selected before March 1
67) Removal of fare calculation details from DL receipts; fare components can no longer be verified
68) MH no longer a partner for earn and burn
69) SQ no longer a partner for award tickets, including IFC (IME award availability was surprisingly good)
70) Closure of lounge that was the PMNW WC at LGA.
Print Wikipost

The Definitive Delta Devaluation Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Folks come here periodically asking whether they should switch to DL or return to DL. Seeing this list could help them to make decisions.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by BogusRogus
How about this one?
Starting January 1, 2015, Delta will limit the number of miles a SkyMiles member can transfer from a single transfer partner (e.g., American Express Membership Rewards or Starwood Preferred Guest) into a single Delta SkyMiles account to 250,000 miles per calendar year. This change will apply to all their partners that allow you to convert points into SkyMiles.

source thepointsguy (since I just copied and pasted it)

http://thepointsguy.com/2014/10/delt...#ixzz3Sa3VnTzP
No. They went back on that plan once they got the new big deal with AMEX:

Transferring Points From SkyMiles Partners

Looking to transfer miles to your SkyMiles account from our partners? We’ve got good news.

As part of our continued partnership with American Express, we will no longer implement a 250,000-mile transfer limit for American Express Membership Rewards. The 250,000-mile transfer limit will also not be implemented for any other SkyMiles partners.

Find out more about converting partner points to miles.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...-updates.html#
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Folks come here periodically asking whether they should switch to DL or return to DL. Seeing this list could help them to make decisions.
what are the choices? UA? LOL. AA? maybe, but there customer service is crap and if you fly a lot internationally, its like stepping into a time machine when you step onboard anything but the 77W and the 787. The bulk of AA's international widebody fleet is woefully outdated and inadequate. Not to mention, the over saturated EXP Plat ranks.

Try and get an upgrade as a exp plat using certs on DTW to HKG and you will find the upgrade list to be very, very lengthy.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
I am actually quite happy with most if not all of the changes. The DM ranks have been thinned out (Love that the AA ex plat ranks have tripled in size, making it almost impossible to get a international upgrade) I am earning more RDM thanks to the new cost based system; SDC still works for me; everyone is up in arms over the disappearance of the skymiles award chart - which means more thinning of the herds; so far, I haven't noticed any changes to how much it will cost to redeem miles for a trip. I love threads like this. It reassures me that staying with Delta is the right move to make.

Last edited by DL2SXM; Feb 23, 2015 at 9:11 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Agreed - and the Wiki may make it more readable ^
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
To your list, I would add the tripling of the requirements to earn "status". The program went from having one simple requirement for status (mileage) to three: mileage, MQM/MQs and MQDs.
Huh? Since when has there been an RDM requirement for status?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
I am actually quite happy with most if not all of the changes. The DM ranks have been thinned out (Love that the AA ex plat ranks have tripled in size, making it almost impossible to get a international upgrade) I am earning more RDM thanks to the new cost based system; SDC still works for me; everyone is up in arms over the disappearance of the skymiles award chart - which means more thinning of the herds; so far, I haven't noticed any changes to how much it will cost to redeem miles for a trip. I love threads like this. It reassures me that staying with Delta is the right move to make.
Is there any evidence that the DM herd has been thinned? The actual numbers are proprietary.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Man that was a depressing list to read through....
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Man that was a depressing list to read through....
I'm sure it's incomplete. What are we forgetting?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:39 am
Suspended

I'm sure it's incomplete. What are we forgetting?
You mean 1 MARCH that is right around the corner? I am sure we will be able to ad a few more
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by Delta Points
You mean 1 MARCH that is right around the corner? I am sure we will be able to ad a few more
You just reminded me: #66.

We need more people who aren't DM to chime in here and add to the list.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:50 am
Suspended

You just reminded me: #66.

We need more people who aren't DM to chime in here and add to the list.
Happy to help. I think
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
whats the point of this thread? To rehash all the 'misery', the moaning and bellyaching of the past few years? I guess its tough for some people to simply 'let go'. Deal with it and move on.
I think a single place to compile all the devaluations is a better approach than having threads scattered all over the place.

This also gives people perspective on what has happened to the Skymiles program. I have not been active in Skymiles for a few years now (can't find any flights to redeem for a reasonable amount); but seeing this list gives me a quick synopsis to what has been going on.

Is it tough for some people to see others having a conversation of interest that goes against their opinion?

If you feel that the changes aren't a big deal to you, great, good for you. Others have been impacted and would like to talk about it. Last I checked, this is a community forum where people's opinions are allowed to be discussed (as long as it's on topic).

If it makes you feel any better, start your own "Definitive Delta Added Value Thread" and you can write about how all the changes have been better for you.

As for the wiki itself, I think it would make some sense in categorizing/prioritizing it. While a long list may seem impressive, having minor things (limited food vouchers) numbered above more impactful dilutions (reduction of MQM earning on M fares from 150% to 100%) makes the list seem more trivial and complaint driven.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
I think a single place to compile all the devaluations is a better approach than having threads scattered all over the place.

This also gives people perspective on what has happened to the Skymiles program. I have not been active in Skymiles for a few years now (can't find any flights to redeem for a reasonable amount); but seeing this list gives me a quick synopsis to what has been going on.

AGREED ^

If it makes you feel any better, start your own "Definitive Delta Added Value Thread" and you can write about how all the changes have been better for you.

Again AGREED ^

As for the wiki itself, I think it would make some sense in categorizing/prioritizing it.
In time I will start adding links to some of the items - help would be appreciated .
Old Feb 23, 2015, 11:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
As for the wiki itself, I think it would make some sense in categorizing/prioritizing it. While a long list may seem impressive, having minor things (limited food vouchers) numbered above more impactful dilutions (reduction of MQM earning on M fares from 150% to 100%) makes the list seem more trivial and complaint driven.
List please of category suggestions so we don't do work twice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.