Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive B/E on JFK-LAX route did not have lie flat seats as advertised thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive B/E on JFK-LAX route did not have lie flat seats as advertised thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Navig8R
Would you rather Delta cancel the flight all together to provide the advertised service? That is the alternative and I'm willing to bet that most would take a sub to get to their destination nearly on time then be set back a day if not longer.
Not at all. I would rather DL compensate those who paid for the advertised premium BE service the difference between what that costs and the service they actually received. No more no less. It is not a binary choice between flying or not.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:38 am
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Not only does the word "guarantee" not show up in Delta's press release, but it also states that all JFK/LAX bound flights will provide lie-flat service BY summer 2015.

http://news.delta.com/2014-06-16-Del...nd-Los-Angeles

To me, that means that there is a chance the customer may not have lie-flat service before summer of 2015. With additional aircraft configured for Transcon operations, there will be more slack in the fleet so hopefully what the OP experienced will be a less frequent occurrence (and I'm willing to bet it is already extremely infrequent at this point).
The link proving you wrong has already been posted in this thread. Nice try.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Not at all. I would rather DL compensate those who paid for the advertised premium BE service the difference between what that costs and the service they actually received. No more no less. It is not a binary choice between flying or not.
And who said Delta hasn't/won't compensate the OP? He absolutely deserves a refund. Does the OP deserve or should he be entitled to anything more than that? Not in my opinion and this doesn't, in my opinion, indicate an erosion of service.

In the end, the passenger made it to his destination a few hours late and will be refunded and most likely compensated above that by Delta. So what is the big deal?

If his flight was canceled in order to provide him with a flat-bed configured aircraft, I'm sure the OP would want compensation for the cancellation as well.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
The link proving you wrong has already been posted in this thread. Nice try.
Uh huh, I pulled the link from the poster on the first page. So what? And I clearly showed there were no guarantees given in the press release.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Explain this then. http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...e-in-gdss.html

According to Delta ALL JFK-LAX flights are lie-flat as of July 1, 2014.
This is correct, there are numerous press releases and advertisements clearly stating this (LAX-JFK with all lie-flat seats by 7/1/2014) that then go on to mention that SFO-JFK will be entirely lie-flat by summer 2015.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP

Good find, but are you telling me that when you read that, and really think about it, that there could be extenuating circumstances where you might not get a flat-be configured airframe? Anyways, the main point of this release was to state that flat-bed info will be available in Delta's GDS booking system. In DL's widely distributed press release, dated 8 months after your link, says:

"All flights between New York-JFK and Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle will feature flat-bed seats on Boeing 757 and 767 aircraft by summer 2015."
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

This is what I'm interpreting as a guarantee. It apparently happens later, in July 2015, for the SFO route. I'm not convinced that DL means to include SEA here.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This is what I'm interpreting as a guarantee. It apparently happens later, in July 2015, for the SFO route. I'm not convinced that DL means to include SEA here.
I agree. Delta has already made it clear that SEA will not be a premium transcon flight. That makes the Summer 2015 press release invalid.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I agree. Delta has already made it clear that SEA will not be a premium transcon flight. That makes the Summer 2015 press release invalid.
If this remains uncorrected, it could be fun to watch the reactions in July.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If a guaranteed lie flat seat is the most important issue, then taking JetBlue's Mint would be a good option. They have a dedicated fleet for LAX-JFK which is all lie flat and the cost is likely to be less than DL anyway.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If a guaranteed lie flat seat is the most important issue, then taking JetBlue's Mint would be a good option. They have a dedicated fleet for LAX-JFK which is all lie flat and the cost is likely to be less than DL anyway.
I think B6 is subject to equipment swaps too, and their other planes are Y only.

My understanding is that AA is the least likely to sub out other equipment on this route as they have a large dedicated fleet for the LAX/JFK and SFO/JFK transcons.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
I think B6 is subject to equipment swaps too, and their other planes are Y only.

My understanding is that AA is the least likely to sub out other equipment on this route as they have a large dedicated fleet for the LAX/JFK and SFO/JFK transcons.
Stop selling AA over here, we have enough elite competition as it is!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Not really sure why you think you should be compensated for anything. Equipment changes and delays happen all of the time, to every airline for a myriad of reasons.
Delta advertises that all flights between JFK and LAX have lie-flat seats. I understand that Delta cannot be sued under state laws for false advertising; however, that's precisely what Delta is doing.

If it happened to me, and Delta refused compensation, I'd start by going after the companies assisting Delta with its advertising. E.g. the company that rents Delta the billboard where Delta makes its false claims is subject to state laws, and I'd sue them in Small Claims Court as Delta's conspirator.

When Delta finds that nobody wants to rent it advertising space due to legal liabilities, maybe it would change its ways.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by krlcomm
I'm with you and can't believe anyone would stick up for DL here, truly amazing. Advertising and press releases everywhere that says that every seat on this route is lie flat when it's not... that's just plain pitiful where I come from, pitiful.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/todayi...ghts/10724447/

"Customers traveling between New York and Los Angeles continue to tell us they expect the best from Delta including the comfort of full flat-bed seats in BusinessElite and an upgraded Economy Comfort experience," Jeff Robertson, Delta's VP–Product Development, Sky Clubs and Marketing Communications, says in a statement. "Delta is focused on providing the industry's best travel experience on the most important non-stop route in the United States."
Send him a certified snail-mail letter informing him that the statement is false, and asking him for compensation. Does the pre-emption of state laws apply to individuals or only to airlines?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, I'm failing to see where Delta pulled some kind of bait and switch here to "rip off the customer?" If you can prove that Delta purposely removed a bird that had lie-flat biz, with an aircraft with traditional biz, and then refused to refund the difference in price for those customers than yes, that is a huge problem and frankly illegal. I'll sit and wait until you can prove the above.
What does "purposely" mean? Delta advertised one thing, and provided another, lesser, thing. Under state laws (which don't apply), that's precisely what "bait-and-switch" is.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
1. DL's COC expressly notes that equiptment and service standard are subject to change. That's the end of the comensation issue. Period.
I guess the false advertising issue is something you consider irrelevant.

Some people think truth and honesty are important. Others don't.

It's clear which side DL is on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.