Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Any luck swapping JFK/LGA with same-day-confirmed?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any luck swapping JFK/LGA with same-day-confirmed?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Question Any luck swapping JFK/LGA with same-day-confirmed?

I'm flying a JFK-ORD route and just noticed how many more flights there are from LGA instead, which would be far preferable.

Anybody have any luck changing between JFK and LGA using same day confirmed?

I know the specific rules say no but I'm wondering if there is any YMMV-style leeway that people have experienced.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I've had a 100% success rate as a diamond, but 0% before this.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Call the DM line. I have been able to change JFK to LGA as departing airport even onto the WS operated LGA YYZ DL coded flights.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by marcworld
I'm flying a JFK-ORD route and just noticed how many more flights there are from LGA instead, which would be far preferable.

I know the specific rules say no but I'm wondering if there is any YMMV-style leeway that people have experienced.
The JFK-ORD route gets delayed pretty regularly. Last time I flew ORD-JFK it popped up as delayed and I switched to ORD-LGA from the app. Didn't even have to call.

Also if you get a winter weather waiver you can probably switch as well.

Last edited by 123Go; Feb 21, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Old Feb 21, 2015, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
As a PM the only time i was able to do this was due to IIROPs on my ex-HPN flight i was able to request rebooking on a ex-LGA flight
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by marcworld

co-terminal SDC is a benefit of DM but DM only.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
It is necessary to note here that the co-terminal privilege for DMs does not extend to flights on the DL LGA-DCA Shuttle. If you have a ticket JFK-DCA you will not be able to change it to the Shuttle. I have tried and failed twice holding GAP type fares. IIRC, DL also refers to the ORD and BOS flights as "Shuttles" so I would think that a bit of pre-investigation might be in order.

Note also that I have never had any trouble getting last seat availability using SDC with the GAP fares on any other routing where co-terminals were involved.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 4:47 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
In addition to the unoffical-but-offical Diamond SDC policy of allowing coterminal changes, if there's any delay at all on your original flight, DL is usually very good about allowing you to change to a flight to a coterminal airport, especially if you have elite status.

And in my experience the SkyClub agents at ORD are very friendly and very well might give you better treatment than the SDC policy calls for if you ask politely.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
As a PM, I recently received the usual schedule change email which delayed a flight departure by two hours. They allowed me to change the final leg to LGA rather than JFK.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Originally Posted by bgriff
In addition to the unoffical-but-offical Diamond SDC policy of allowing coterminal changes, if there's any delay at all on your original flight, DL is usually very good about allowing you to change to a flight to a coterminal airport, especially if you have elite status.

And in my experience the SkyClub agents at ORD are very friendly and very well might give you better treatment than the SDC policy calls for if you ask politely.
Absolutely agree with this. I've built a good rapport with the ORD lounge staff, and they've even gone so far as to give me the direct phone number to the lounge to call if I have any issues and need a flight change.

As to the OP's question - if you're a DM, the DM line will almost always be able and willing to flip you between JFK & LGA. Additionally, given the weather both cities are having, I'm sure you'll hit a weather waiver day shortly.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by tentseller
even onto the WS operated LGA YYZ DL coded flights.
double wow ^:-:
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Thanks all. confirmed, they happily swapped my JFK departure for an LGA flight without any pushback, no begging needed. and they even did it a bit earlier than 24 hours in advance (which i finagled mostly b/c of the weather delays yesterday).

more reasons to obsessively requalify for DM. happy customer.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: DL DM MM
Originally Posted by monitor
It is necessary to note here that the co-terminal privilege for DMs does not extend to flights on the DL LGA-DCA Shuttle. If you have a ticket JFK-DCA you will not be able to change it to the Shuttle. I have tried and failed twice holding GAP type fares. IIRC, DL also refers to the ORD and BOS flights as "Shuttles" so I would think that a bit of pre-investigation might be in order.

Note also that I have never had any trouble getting last seat availability using SDC with the GAP fares on any other routing where co-terminals were involved.
Have any DMs out there had any recent experience with trying to do a SDC co-terminal change from DCA-JFK to DCA-LGA?
Old Dec 6, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM
I've done it at the airport as a PM. But the agent was my 'airport mom'.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by allaboutthemiles
Have any DMs out there had any recent experience with trying to do a SDC co-terminal change from DCA-JFK to DCA-LGA?
Did it over phone within last three months. Some agents just seem to not know the rules. A DL Shuttle flight is basically no different than a DL Connection flight. Just with more frequency and generally some type of snack.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.