Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why Such a Big Deal to Get Routed From DTW to MSP Through ORD?

Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.

Due to IRROPS, DL GA could not get me from DTW to MSP until 11:45pm. She said no other flights were available. I pointed out that Kayak said there were seats available on a connection through ORD that arrived in MSP at 9pm. She said that her screen showed no such connections through ORD.

I walked down to the DL help kiosk and asked to be routed through ORD. The helpful lady then began to type, type, type, phone call, phone call, phone call, type, type, type. The process took 15 minutes, but I finally got my boarding passes.

What's the big deal? Why was so much effort required to be routed through ORD?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL FO
Because it's not a Delta hub, so I don't think their fare rules normally allow for connecting service through there. This could cause issues with trying to move bags from one flight to the other since their ground staff at ORD doesn't usually handle connections.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DemonDeacon
Because it's not a Delta hub, so I don't think their fare rules normally allow for connecting service through there. This could cause issues with trying to move bags from one flight to the other since their ground staff at ORD doesn't usually handle connections.
No bags were checked.

Rules? Why not have a big red button that over-rides the rules?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by RRDD
No bags were checked.

Rules? Why not have a big red button that over-rides the rules?
No room on the keyboard?

Seriously though, if you tried to get connected through a non-hub on almost any other airline, you would have the same problem. That's the way the hub-and-spoke system works. To be honest, I'm a little surprised they let you do it at all.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:04 pm

Due to IRROPS, DL GA could not get me from DTW to MSP until 11:45pm. She said no other flights were available. I pointed out that Kayak said there were seats available on a connection through ORD that arrived in MSP at 9pm. She said that her screen showed no such connections through ORD.

I walked down to the DL help kiosk and asked to be routed through ORD. The helpful lady then began to type, type, type, phone call, phone call, phone call, type, type, type. The process took 15 minutes, but I finally got my boarding passes.

What's the big deal? Why was so much effort required to be routed through ORD?
Probably...I'm guessing...it took a "manual" reissue to fix the ticket for the connection.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

To be honest, I'm a little surprised they let you do it at all.
There were 5 empty seats on the first leg and 10 empty seats on the second leg. Why would you not keep a Lame -Duck GM happy and provide the service?
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Because it's not a Delta hub, so I don't think their fare rules normally allow for connecting service ...
this -- CHI probably isn't on the routing for the DTW-MSP fare, and I'd guess far too many GAs aren't willing to take the time to investigate what WORKS because they are trained to only address what's ALLOWED
Old Feb 19, 2015, 6:55 pm

There were 5 empty seats on the first leg and 10 empty seats on the second leg. Why would you not keep a Lame -Duck GM happy and provide the service?
Um...they did.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
They can theoretically route you through anything.... It just takes additional effort. This is a perfect example of why I always investigate my alternatives BEFORE calling or speaking with the GA/Red Coat/etc. More than once I have found alternate routings that have been severely helpful.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:31 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Why not have a big red button that over-rides the rules?
I was searching to find one that might be compatible with Deltamatic, and I found one that I'm SURE that some FlyerTalkers are using . . . .

Old Feb 19, 2015, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
It shouldn't have been a problem at all. A few years ago when DL was flying MIA-MCO I booked a MEM-ATL-MIA-MCO trip to get home. I had no problem booking the trip and MIA is certainly not a DL hub.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:00 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I misconnected at MSP to LAX not too long ago. Everything was full. Using KVS on my phone, I found MSP/SFO/LAX. The agent said - Oh, nooooo!!! We can't do that! Those big 6000+ flight numbers from SFO/LAX - - those aren't true Delta flights, so we can't use those! I said - Yes, they are! It's an hourly shuttle. She asked - Does it say "DELTA" on the side of the plane? Yes, of course! Okay, and she rebooked me!!! Amazing!

Had my nice Luvo snack to boot!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 8:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On most fares, it's not a legal routing to connect through ORD/MDW between MSP and DTW. The agent must have been looking at this, as one would do for a SDC, rather than invoking the principle that passengers have much more rebooking flexibility in IROPs. IME sometimes agents try first to rebook you as a SDC since that seems to be easier than doing whatever documentation is required to waive certain rules due to IROPs.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Seriously though, if you tried to get connected through a non-hub on almost any other airline, you would have the same problem. That's the way the hub-and-spoke system works. To be honest, I'm a little surprised they let you do it at all.
All wrong.

Hub/Non hub doesn't matter. At our station, when excrement hits the fan at the hubs, people start connecting thru us to get between hubs. We know the system is straining when we start seeing connecting pax thru our station. Any station can turn into a connection station as long as there is a connection to be made. However, when you start flying those routes and going through those typically-non-connection stations, the probability of baggage mishandling increases exponentially to the shortness of your stop at the small station. In other words, if you have 30 minutes of ground time... don't expect your bag to make it.

I have forwarded bags from our station because our rampers do not read the tags when offloading planes. They have gotten that complacent because 99.99999998% of bags do not connect. I will say though that I do everything in my power to make sure that your bag, if it comes thru my station and gets mishandled, gets to you as soon as possible.

Now, to address the "IROP vs SDC" issue.... it's just the agent not knowing that it can be done. If there is space, it can be done in an IROP situation. Obviously, we want to send you direct, but if there isn't any flights for the next few days between X and Y, there is nothing that says that we can't route you through Z as long as it makes sense. (Read: No DTW-ATL via PVG) Plus, as soon as IROPs happen and are made official in the system, remarks are put in everyones records so documentation isn't typically needed. Really whacky stuff may need a quick remark though.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
In IRROPS you can basically do whatever you need to do to get to your destination if space is available.

This is why the #1 best practice is to research your options on your own and suggest what you want to do to the agent.

Often they only see the most logical flights nonstop/connections based on what is on their screen. They don't necessarily think outside of the box, and many passengers cannot either.

In IRROPS, agents are often overworked, stressed, and dealing with hundreds of upset/angry/confused passengers. You are just one of many and no more important than anyone else. Anything you can do to make their job easier goes a long way.

I always recommend having back-up plans and alternatives, even if out-of-the-way that will get you to our destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.