Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Link to automated claim form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

Post away DL crediting 2500 miles.
Please list the date, arrival time, and airport and when your bags made it.
  • Sample: 2/23/15 MDT 3:15 PM 28 minutes
Print Wikipost

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tried three times last week. Thursday RDU-DCA, Sunday LAX-DCA and Sunday DCA-RDU. Each time the bag was out within 10-15 minutes of landing, not just parking at the gate. In fact, at RDU I had to stop and use the bathroom and the bag beat ME to the claim.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I took their miles at PDX a couple of weeks ago off a 739. It was 23-24 minutes.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
So I've done the math. Since the bags on time program started, I've gotten the miles 30 times, totaling 75,000 miles.

Talk about a nice subsidy. DCA and CVG bags are consistently late, as are bags at small Southern airports.
pgh234 and btonkid12345 like this.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Well, a couple of weeks ago I had to fight for a claim.

Got to the baggage area in ATL; the big monitor said Claim 8. Went over there; its monitor said my flight's baggage was due. Nothing happened. We're all standing around waiting. Finally, I check the app. It says my bags were already delivered to Claim 2. What?! I stroll over there. There are bags 2 and 3 deep on the carrousel. Tons of bags. Goes around 2 or 3 times, but I don't see mine. So I waltz back over to 8; still no action at all there. Go to the baggage office and start waiting in line to find out wth is going on. I can see Claim 2 out the door. The carrousel has stopped, and I can finally see my bag there. So I grab it and head by 8 on my way out to advise all the other poor souls to go over to 2.

My initial claim was denied because the computer showed it was delivered on time. I sent a complaint email. Got a response from someone who didn't even read it, asking for my lost bag claim number. Grrr! Replied sarcastically. Got my 2500 miles.

I suppose it's possible the bag could have been in that morass of luggage on 8, but it's very brightly colored, and I can't believe I could have missed it. And I'm sure DL would say, "Oh, those monitors in baggage claim aren't us; those are the airport's. We're not responsible." (which they've said about the flight monitors when my flight was COMPLETELY MISSING and they could offer no assistance.) But in the end they did the right thing and forked over the miles.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hotturnip
Well, a couple of weeks ago I had to fight for a claim.

Got to the baggage area in ATL; the big monitor said Claim 8. Went over there; its monitor said my flight's baggage was due. Nothing happened. We're all standing around waiting. Finally, I check the app. It says my bags were already delivered to Claim 2. What?! I stroll over there. There are bags 2 and 3 deep on the carrousel. Tons of bags. Goes around 2 or 3 times, but I don't see mine. So I waltz back over to 8; still no action at all there. Go to the baggage office and start waiting in line to find out wth is going on. I can see Claim 2 out the door. The carrousel has stopped, and I can finally see my bag there. So I grab it and head by 8 on my way out to advise all the other poor souls to go over to 2.

My initial claim was denied because the computer showed it was delivered on time. I sent a complaint email. Got a response from someone who didn't even read it, asking for my lost bag claim number. Grrr! Replied sarcastically. Got my 2500 miles.

I suppose it's possible the bag could have been in that morass of luggage on 8, but it's very brightly colored, and I can't believe I could have missed it. And I'm sure DL would say, "Oh, those monitors in baggage claim aren't us; those are the airport's. We're not responsible." (which they've said about the flight monitors when my flight was COMPLETELY MISSING and they could offer no assistance.) But in the end they did the right thing and forked over the miles.
I'm surprised the automated system gave you a hard time given it was in ATL. I've never had it reject a claim for me in ATL even under 20 (I assume theyve built in a small cushion as 2,500 miles is worth less than CS resources to handle a 2 minute difference)

However I've had BSO agents tell me that arriving on theach wrong belt qualifies as you did not receive your bags within 20 on the belt they have displayed.

I don't ever adjudicate missing bag claim miles via email; if I should have them and the system isn't working, I always requested an airport employee (either BSO or Red Coat) manually post the miles and give me a receipt.
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:08 pm

I’ve received well north of 100,000 miles with this program.

Huge thanks to managers that have determined there to be stations with DGS where 2 crews are expected to handle 4 flights.

Ok, so now when I complain for any other issue on DL.com, I never receive compensation mileage wise.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Do you hit a max compensation amount with this program and they just shut you off everywhere else?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I’ve received well north of 100,000 miles with this program.

Huge thanks to managers that have determined there to be stations with DGS where 2 crews are expected to handle 4 flights.

Ok, so now when I complain for any other issue on DL.com, I never receive compensation mileage wise.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Do you hit a max compensation amount with this program and they just shut you off everywhere else?
Yah. I'm not sure how many but it's a lot. So much so I am surprised they still do it. I see the 20min guarantee stuff but don't remember any saying if they don't meet it what you get. My bags, even with Sky Priority tags EVER make it in 20min at ATL. So just from that I get 25-30 incoming flights x2500SM a year.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 6:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I though for sure I'd get lucky last week at DTW. Flying in a CRJ-200 arriving at C11 should have meant a jackpot.

Instead, the bag beat me to the carousel and I got there in about 14 minutes!
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Anyone notice the pilots not setting the brake until the iPhone ticks over to another minute? I've had that happen at least a dozen times in the past 2 years or so. It happened again last night in ABQ. FYI, I've probably gotten over 100K RDMs from this. I've flown a lot to LAS and it was always late for at least a year. I haven't flown there since last year so I don't know if that's still true. Anyhoo, last night in ABQ they went one better than just waiting for a new minute to tick over. When I got to baggage claim one, the JFK flight was unloading. Bags had all been delivered from that flight and I heard the cart pull up. This was at 18 minutes since the parking brake was set. They stopped the carousel and it halted with my bag (from MSP) halfway through the plastic partition. It was the only one from the MSP flight. Does Delta have my number?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Flew into RDU yesterday, and our bags were scanned as arrived at claim at 17 minutes after door opened. It took another 6 minutes for the bags to appear on the belt. While they were being scanned, the belt stopped, which makes me think they scanned them all as arrived before even loading them onto the belt. Is this worth pushing delta on?

FWIW, I arrived in GEG a few days ago. Four main line flights arrived around the same time, and there was one ground crew working, which meant that we had to wait for all bags to be offloaded from the other flights before we were marshaled into the gate. It makes me question what the priority for ground handling is - getting planes into gate and passengers offloaded, or avoiding having to payout miles?
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Flew into RDU yesterday, and our bags were scanned as arrived at claim at 17 minutes after door opened. It took another 6 minutes for the bags to appear on the belt. While they were being scanned, the belt stopped, which makes me think they scanned them all as arrived before even loading them onto the belt. Is this worth pushing delta on?

FWIW, I arrived in GEG a few days ago. Four main line flights arrived around the same time, and there was one ground crew working, which meant that we had to wait for all bags to be offloaded from the other flights before we were marshaled into the gate. It makes me question what the priority for ground handling is - getting planes into gate and passengers offloaded, or avoiding having to payout miles?
RE: RDU ... If I don't have my bag 20 minutes after the door is opened, I submit a claim. I have never been denied. I usually start a timer on my phone when the door is opened.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:11 am

Never had a claim denied. By the same token, I only submit claims that aren’t controversial as they are cut and dry.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by FF524
Never had a claim denied. By the same token, I only submit claims that aren’t controversial as they are cut and dry.
The claim is based solely on the tracking of the bag. It isn't open to interpretation. If you arrive at an airport where the bag isn't scanned, you'll get the miles even if it was on time.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Arrived at BTV last night. All bags scanned in at 19 minutes and it took my bag another 8 minutes to show up. They clearly scanned them somewhere else and then drove them to the claim because I could hear the truck pull up behind the claim. Is it worth fighting DL for the miles?
Old Feb 2, 2019, 7:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by AviationFreak
Arrived at BTV last night. All bags scanned in at 19 minutes and it took my bag another 8 minutes to show up. They clearly scanned them somewhere else and then drove them to the claim because I could hear the truck pull up behind the claim. Is it worth fighting DL for the miles?
It doesn't hurt to try. Just submit the claim to the bags fly free page and see what happens. If I don't get my points, I would not call CS and complain about it.

My worst offense was claiming the credit when my bags took 30 minutes to arrive at MCI. However, a thunderstorm caused a ground stop for around half of that time. I did get my miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.