Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Link to automated claim form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

Post away DL crediting 2500 miles.
Please list the date, arrival time, and airport and when your bags made it.
  • Sample: 2/23/15 MDT 3:15 PM 28 minutes
Print Wikipost

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2022, 7:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by ACC2008
Great to know. Is it good for each segment. e.g. FRA - ATL (bag late) get 2,500. Then bag checked ATL - RDU (if bag late) get another 2,500?

Thanks
International flights segments aren’t supposed to be part of BoT but someone might get a lucky IT error in their favor. A domestic leg following an international segment works though.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 5:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM (no bag tags), United Silver, Spirit - one and done, IHG Spire, Hertz PC, Avis- owes me one
So many kettles have no idea this exists. On a return trip to MSP just before Christmas my yellow tagged bags, for what that’s worth, arrived at 24 minutes. I heard a mom say “They should give us something for taking so long to get our bags.”

My wife has flown RT to Hawaii on BOT miles over the last couple of years. Stopwatch starts counting at the “Ding.”
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 6:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, United, Gold DL
PDX is almost always a guarantee to be late. Even when there was not Covid or bad weather.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by spudley007
I was curious as to how many times I was able to claim this in 2021...and the answer is 36! Yup, 90,000 miles due to the baggage guarantee. I would like to thank DTW for not being able to figure out how to unload mainline aircraft timely during the year.
Which kinda surprises me, because my experience (and admittedly, I don't fly nearly as much as most people here) has been ever since this program was implemented, DTW has consistently been the on place that it's pretty consistently quick off the belt. Outside of some much smaller stations where Delta doesn't have a presence, I've always felt that this has really improved and I very seldom ever even think about it because it's quick enough. Generally by the time I get off the plane, hit the rest room, and get to baggage claim, the bags there, and if not, generally shortly after. (I'll admit, at some places, that might actually take more than 20 minutes, especially if getting off from a ways back in the plane, but I'm probably not going to take the time to investigate if it really was if the bag is there by the time I get there, again, I'm not flying enough that the couple of times would be worth the credit.)

I think in my flights over thanksgiving and christmas, I had one flight where the bags took longer than it should (and I never did check to see what the timing was, probably should have claimed that one, but I think it was late and didn't want to deal with the minimal effort it takes). (And the one wasn't DTW, was probably either ATL or MIA. The last DTW flight definitely wasn't long, but I was kinda annoyed when they used the furthest away baggage claim from the center when all the ones closer weren't being used.)
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:15 am

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I actually have it booked marked, since it is 50/50 these days.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 10:31 am

I didn't know and haven't even noticed the signs because I use a wheelchair and by the time I wait 20 minutes for the aisle chair, and then make my way to baggage claim my bags are always waiting alone on the carousel, so we just grab and go. Wish I has known to tell my son though when it took 40 minutes for the bags to come off last month (timing ended up perfect though because we were stuck in traffic entering LAX to pick him up). Looks like you only have 4 days to claim it, so too late for him for that flight.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by amybd
I didn't know and haven't even noticed the signs because I use a wheelchair and by the time I wait 20 minutes for the aisle chair, and then make my way to baggage claim my bags are always waiting alone on the carousel, so we just grab and go. Wish I has known to tell my son though when it took 40 minutes for the bags to come off last month (timing ended up perfect though because we were stuck in traffic entering LAX to pick him up). Looks like you only have 4 days to claim it, so too late for him for that flight.
You can use the track bags feature on the app to see whether they have taken more than 20 minutes in order to know when to claim your own miles. You don’t need to be present at the carousel in order to claim the miles.
amybd likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:57 pm

Is there any compensation if we fly international on a partner and have to wait about an hour for bags?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:52 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by resolute
Anyone know any way to get these if your flight is international? I had a flight CDG - ATL yesterday where the baggage was severely delayed (like 45 mins+) getting to the carousel - this was after the flight was about 4.5 hours late arriving..
You could file a complaint, Delta may give you some miles (likely more if you have higher status)
Old Jan 8, 2022, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by Milesaway76
Is there any compensation if we fly international on a partner and have to wait about an hour for bags?
You can always try but you need to enter a DL confirmation number. Also, it's supposed to be a DL domestic flight. So, it's quite unlikely that you'd be successful but I doubt it could hurt to try.
Milesaway76 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Can also use the easier-to-remember delta.com/bagsontime.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 12:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Air Houston
You can use the track bags feature on the app to see whether they have taken more than 20 minutes in order to know when to claim your own miles. You don’t need to be present at the carousel in order to claim the miles.
You don't even really need to look to see how long it took, other than spending a minute or two of your time there's no penalty for submitting the form and being "wrong"
amybd, beachmouse and DLASflyer like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Chalk up another 2500 in BOS this evening. On top of it being >20 min, there were zero sky priority bags delivered to the belt in the first half of the unload.
Pretty sad when LAS manages to get bags on the belt faster than you can get there from the tram ride, but it takes BOS 30 min on a good day along with being consistantly one of the worst about the priority bags.
Old Jan 10, 2022, 1:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Ended up using it twice recently, including a 90-minute wait following a heavily delayed SFO-LAX. 5000 miles is essentially $50 off future travel.
Old Jan 11, 2022, 9:18 am

Programs: DL Platinum, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Used it on both legs this weekend. Waited 25 minutes at MIA (even though I got a push notification that my bag was arriving on the belt 6 minutes earlier), then waited a frustrating 35 minutes at LGA Terminal C last night, which was a complete mess -- the arrivals board posted the wrong belt, and bags came out roughly 10 at a time every 5 minutes or so, with no rhyme or reason. Earned 3x more miles just on late bags than I did on the flights themselves.
kyushuman likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.