Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Fly from Asia to YYZ transit through DTW, Delta Airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Hi I am traveling PVG-DTW-YYZ, just wondering if I can give up the second half of the trip, which is DTW to YYZ. I knew I need to clear custom at DTW, can I take my check-in luggage? Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jsangela
Hi I am traveling PVG-DTW-YYZ, just wondering if I can give up the second half of the trip, which is DTW to YYZ. I knew I need to clear custom at DTW, can I take my check-in luggage? Thanks.
Is this a RT ticket starting at PVG? If so, missing the DTW-YYZ segment will cause the remainder of the ticket to be cancelled and you will be forced to purchase a very expensive ticket to get home.

BTW, to board the first flight, depending on your nationality/passport, you may need visas for both the USA and Canada.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is this a RT ticket starting at PVG? If so, missing the DTW-YYZ segment will cause the remainder of the ticket to be cancelled and you will be forced to purchase a very expensive ticket to get home.

BTW, to board the first flight, depending on your nationality/passport, you may need visas for both the USA and Canada.
Good and timely reminder, though if one needs visa for US and Canada, Delta would be it he soup for allowing a pax to proceed from PVG without such visa.

BTW, I know a friend who developed an acute tooth ache prior to boarding the last leg and so informed the service desk to protect himself.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

What is RT ticket? We dont have visa problem, when we arrive DTW, after clear custom, can we just give up the DTW-YYZ? Why you said we will be charged for extra? Thank you for answering my question?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:14 pm

What flights are listed on your DL ticket? Is DTW your final destination? If yes, then I believe you can skip DTW-YYZ.

What is RT ticket? We dont have visa problem, when we arrive DTW, after clear custom, can we just give up the DTW-YYZ? Why you said we will be charged for extra? Thank you for answering my question?
RT = round trip or return. In your case, this would be PVG-DTW-YYZ-DTW-PVG. In this scenario, if you flew PVG-DTW but didn't fly DTW-YYZ, your return flights YYZ-DTW-PVG would be canceled.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
As others have said, if DTW-YYZ is your final final destination (no return journey), then you can give up the segment with no repercussions - you won't get charged extra or anything.

Additionally, you will be required to retrieve any checked luggage at DTW before clearing customs, and as such, you can simply not re-check them and leave the airport (or connect to another ticket you book separately if you wish).

As others have stated, make sure you meet visa requirements for BOTH U.S. and Canada, or Delta might not let you fly, even if you don't plan on actually going to Canada.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 5:51 am
Used to be 'Mark Fetters'

the only flaw is I don't think you get to claim bags if you are going to Canada. I remember when I did NRT-DTW they said you have to claim bags unless you were going to Canada as they would be transferred to your next flight for you. Could be wrong
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

That's what I worried, I called Delta, some said I have to claim my check-in myself and do check in again for DTW-YYZ, but some said no.

When did you fly from NRT-DTW? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:28 am
Original Poster

My fly it RT, YYZ-DTW-PVG-DTW-YYZ, i am thinking to skip DTW-YYZ on the return trip. Now I am worry about not being able to claim my check in at DTW. Anybody had similar experience?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: oneworld *A,Nexus/GE
My fly it RT, YYZ-DTW-PVG-DTW-YYZ, i am thinking to skip DTW-YYZ on the return trip. Now I am worry about not being able to claim my check in at DTW. Anybody had similar experience?

IMG_2846[1] by ncncyoo, on Flickr
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I would strong.y advise against doing this on an international itinerary.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ncncyoo
IMG_2846[1] by ncncyoo, on Flickr
I heard about this purple tag, do you mean with this tag on the luggage, I will have no chance to claim my bag, just wondering if I can request not stick this tag on my bag at PVG.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Interesting. I wasn't given a purple tag a few weeks ago HKG-USA-YYZ. You could say you might want to get something from your bag at DTW and not to put the purple tag on, especially convincing if you have a lengthy layover.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
Interesting. I wasn't given a purple tag a few weeks ago HKG-USA-YYZ. You could say you might want to get something from your bag at DTW and not to put the purple tag on, especially convincing if you have a lengthy layover.
Which airport you transit through, did you claim you bag and re-check in from USA-YYZ? Thanks
Old Feb 18, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
You only get that tag if you are:
1. Connecting through ATL or DTW where it is implemented. Not JFK. No experience with MSP yet.
2. To get from HKG to YYZ you need to route HKG SEA MSP/DTW/JFK/ATL then YYZ. They are for intl arrival and then onward intl departure so the post HKG flight to YYZ from SEA would have a US connection and not qualify for ITI baggage transfer.

DL counter at PVG and HKG are staffed by contract workers employed buy local aviation service. The chance of them pushing/bending the rules for you if it is not noted in your PNR is almost NIL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.