Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What does the Costco-Amex divorce mean for Delta?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, Hyatt

Amex and Delta recently renewed their vows--but Amex just lost a partner at Costco.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/american...ity-1423746408

I will admit to being an Amex Medallion. I usually get 20K MQM per year from my Delta Platinum Amex--and a LOT of those purchases have been at Costco.

If I can't hit my MQM spending thresholds with the Delta Amex, why use it at all, other than for Delta purchases? I still get return on the card with the companion certificate, Group 1 boarding and bag fees, but as an FO, there is not much utility to retaining Medallion status beyond the perks built into the card, and I don't think I will get to Gold as I have in the past without the Amex MQMs.

Anyone else in this same boat?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ch-2016-a.html

A couple of posters in this thread have indicated that a Costco cash card can be bought online with any credit card, and then used in store.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by Saidoh
A couple of posters in this thread have indicated that a Costco cash card can be bought online with any credit card, and then used in store.
Assuming I can still use Amex next year to buy Costco gift cards, there is still the time and hassle factor to do mgf spending just to meet the $25,000 waiver from the Delta Amex card. If I can't even use Amex directly at Costco, that's about $10k in annual spend for this family that goes to another credit card.

Makes me MUCH more likely to drop both Amex and Delta for good. Also, if someone is unhappy about recent Skymiles devaluations, I think it is more effective to tell Amex you don't plan on renewing their expensive Delta-affiliated cards. I think Amex should care even as Delta clearly does not!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:13 pm

We bought tons of supplies with the Amex at Costco I doubt we spend that much anywhere else. Bye Amex.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: United 1K; Marriott Titanium
another big blow: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ays-mastercard

JetBlue to Drop Card Partner AmEx for Barclays, MasterCard
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Assuming I can still use Amex next year to buy Costco gift cards, there is still the time and hassle factor to do mgf spending just to meet the $25,000 waiver from the Delta Amex card. If I can't even use Amex directly at Costco, that's about $10k in annual spend for this family that goes to another credit card.

Makes me MUCH more likely to drop both Amex and Delta for good. Also, if someone is unhappy about recent Skymiles devaluations, I think it is more effective to tell Amex you don't plan on renewing their expensive Delta-affiliated cards. I think Amex should care even as Delta clearly does not!
Costco online has always accepted all major cards (unlike the stores). I think it's 50/50 that costco.com will keep accepting them. However, I don't really envy people having to keep track of a bunch of gift cards.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There will be some people with DL Amex cards who have spending that is just marginally above bonus MQM threshholds who also have a lot of Costco in-store spending. I suspect Amex knows who you are and may look at retention sweeteners.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
"What does the Costco-Amex divorce mean for Delta?"

It means Amex will go to any lengths to retain DL as a partner.

Also, is it even confirmed that Costco will continue to have a single-card policy? If not, is it certain that they won't accept Amex?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Data point from Canada re Costco and AMEX

Costco in Canada has severed their relationship with AMEX. They have joint with Capital One offering a Costco branded Mastercard and in the stores all versions of Mastercard is the only credit card accepted. That included Mastercards issues by banks in US, UK, Hong Kong (HSBC).

However at Costco.ca, the Canadian online Costco shopping portal all three major cards has been and are still accepted for payment.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There will be some people with DL Amex cards who have spending that is just marginally above bonus MQM threshholds who also have a lot of Costco in-store spending. I suspect Amex knows who you are and may look at retention sweeteners.
To me it means they won't be able to use their Delta Amex cards at Costco and will either use a different card and continue to shop their, or take their business somewhere else.

This creates a lose lose situation probably for Costco and/or Amex.

Bob H
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm confused... what is the benefit to buying Costco gift cards to use at the store when you can just use your Delta SkyMiles credit card for purchases there?

OPS 5
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:10 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Wow...

Neiman Marcus, Costco, JetBlue... Dark times are ahead...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by mattya9
I'm confused... what is the benefit to buying Costco gift cards to use at the store when you can just use your Delta SkyMiles credit card for purchases there?

OPS 5
Costco won't be accepting any AmEx cards anymore.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by mattya9

OPS 5
Is COSTCO severing its co-branded CC with AMEX, but continuing with AMEX as the only form of CC payment allowed at checkout? What would be the point? Especially since AMEX charges merchants a higher percentage for transactions compared with Visa and MasterCard.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...vals-take-bite

I believe DL will stick with Amex, as they infused funds into the carrier during the Bankruptcy. Boeing did the same - that did not work out so well for ordering new AC. Amex losing Costco is a shocker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.