Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I feel good about taking first step to bail on Delta and Delta SkyMiles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

I never thought I'd feel so good telling American Express to take their American Express Delta SkyMiles card and shove it, but I did. It represented my first step to bail on the Delta's SkyMiles program, which in my personal experience, is the worst frequent flyer program of the legacy carriers.

The only trepidation I have about leaving Delta, is my suspicion that Delta's CEO, Richard Anderson, will continue to take Delta to increasingly higher levels of performance and achievement, globally. Regretfully, I believe that the horrific valuation of Delta SkyMiles is something that Mr. Anderson calls an achievement. There lies the disconnect between Mr. Anderson and Delta SkyMiles members.

So Delta, I bid you a farewell. I can only hope that Delta and Anderson keep the Flight Attendants in their non-Union classification, and keep the Northwest Union zealots in the Penalty Box. Those nasty Northwest ladies really do belong flying the JFK-PBI, EWR-PBI, and JFK-TLV route full time.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL - Diamond. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum. Starwoods - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by BeantownDisneyFan
I never thought I'd feel so good telling American Express to take their American Express Delta SkyMiles card and shove it, but I did. It represented my first step to bail on the Delta's SkyMiles program, which in my personal experience, is the worst frequent flyer program of the legacy carriers.

The only trepidation I have about leaving Delta, is my suspicion that Delta's CEO, Richard Anderson, will continue to take Delta to increasingly higher levels of performance and achievement, globally. Regretfully, I believe that the horrific valuation of Delta SkyMiles is something that Mr. Anderson calls an achievement. There lies the disconnect between Mr. Anderson and Delta SkyMiles members.

So Delta, I bid you a farewell. I can only hope that Delta and Anderson keep the Flight Attendants in their non-Union classification, and keep the Northwest Union zealots in the Penalty Box. Those nasty Northwest ladies really do belong flying the JFK-PBI, EWR-PBI, and JFK-TLV route full time.
The FF programs are pretty much all the same with some smaller difference. In my opinion.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:31 pm

Cutting off from a program can feel great.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM

Unless your giving up flying completely, you will soon find out that the whole FF landscape as a whole is changing... Its not just Delta's Skymiles program but all of them. Delta is just pretty much leading the pack.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: Waffle House DM
If it works for you, it was a good move. Enjoy.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by BitcoinforMiles
Cutting off from a program can feel great.
and staying with the right one can feel even better.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by ornulfkittelsen
The FF programs are pretty much all the same with some smaller difference. In my opinion.
I just couldn't deal with United's customer service when something went wrong.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:42 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Congrats to the OP for breaking what seems to be your FF equivalent of a drug habit!

Originally Posted by DL2SXM
Unless your giving up flying completely, you will soon find out that the whole FF landscape as a whole is changing... Its not just Delta's Skymiles program but all of them. Delta is just pretty much leading the pack.
True, the above, that in a few years, when they have ALL evened out and hit their future absolute lows in terms of perks and freebies, and likely all pretty similar, one should be able to make a more sane decision about who to fly.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
+1
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles

I once left DL for a few years during the Leo Mullin Dark Ages. I decompressed with CO for a while, then came back when Leo received his ignominious send-off.

Hopefully, you will have a such an opportunity under similar circumstances.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Always baffles me when so much of this forum bashes DL and management for the constant poor treatment of FFs as of late....then when someone finally has had enough and leaves......everyone bashes him for it.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Always baffles me when so much of this forum bashes DL and management for the constant poor treatment of FFs as of late....then when someone finally has had enough and leaves......everyone bashes him for it.
Not everyone bashes.

The circle on the left represents those folks who will rise up in defense against any criticism of DL or its management, real or perceived.

The circle on the right represents those folks who wish there were opportunities to go someplace else to find a better FF program.

The intersection represents many, but not all, of the folks who trash anyone announcing that they are leaving DL.

I doubt that you will find anyone who is critical of the way the FF program is administered who would criticize someone making the hard decision to leave.

Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N639DL
Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Goodness... we've never heard that one before.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Goodness... we've never heard that one before.
We haven't heard anyone say "More upgrades for me!!" yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.