FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   WN's New Marketing Push in ATL (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1651118-wns-new-marketing-push-atl.html)

ATLBlue Jan 31, 2015 2:12 pm

WN's New Marketing Push in ATL

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/sou...ampaign/nj2X9/

cdubose98 Jan 31, 2015 4:21 pm

Better late than never, I guess; they cut ATL capacity by over 15% last year.

DiverDave Jan 31, 2015 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by ATLBlue (Post 24268652)

Should make for some great ads. "We bought the low fare airline based in ATL, downsized our flights, and upsized our fares!" :)

David

davetravels Feb 1, 2015 3:13 am

I find this amusing from the article . . . .

"But Atlanta-based Delta has said it offers other amenities like a global route network, a first class cabin and airport clubs."

Pardon my sense of humor . . . .

My take . . . .

We, at Delta, have amenities that Southwest doesn't have, like, Biscoff cookies, Isaac Mizrahi lotions in our lavatories, and, oh yeah - - - A GLOBAL ROUTE NETWORK!!!

Is that considered an anenity?!?

:D

StayingHomeIsBetter Feb 1, 2015 8:55 am

PR spin does not have to make sense. It only has to impress the gullible.

And, we've been told that this is OK... that the gullible are to blame for believing it.

bubbashow Feb 1, 2015 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 24271948)
PR spin does not have to make sense. It only has to impress the gullible.

And, we've been told that this is OK... that the gullible are to blame for believing it.

I actually think the "You don't have to be Diamond, Platinum, or Pewter" line is pretty creative. Good for WN. Competition is a good thing!

DiscoPapa Feb 1, 2015 4:50 pm

I have noticed that some of WN's billboards in ATL are very out-of-date. For example, the one on I75/I85 North before Turner Field, announcing new service to DAL ("beginning Nov 02"). I'm surprised that the company isn't more on-point with updating their messages around the city.

RFDMinnesota Feb 1, 2015 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by DiscoPapa (Post 24274457)
I have noticed that some of WN's billboards in ATL are very out-of-date. For example, the one on I75/I85 North before Turner Field, announcing new service to DAL ("beginning Nov 02"). I'm surprised that the company isn't more on-point with updating their messages around the city.

I was unaware that there was anything outside the confines of the airport!

Huh... Maybe I'll have to go on an Atlanta Safari soon!

davetravels Feb 1, 2015 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota (Post 24274797)
I was unaware that there was anything outside the confines of the airport!

Huh... Maybe I'll have to go on an Atlanta Safari soon!

Oh, y'er really missin' out! Atlanta has an absolute wealth of fine restaurants to choose from! ;)

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7024/...0225d55c_z.jpg

This one, <I understand>, actually has a branch in ATL Terminal F! :D

ATLMike1234 Feb 1, 2015 11:18 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Southwest's ads are vague and do nothing to sell the company to potential customers??

For example, that sample ad in the article: “Atlanta, we don’t care if you’re diamond, platinum or pewter, Heart means you don’t need miles to earn these smiles.” It's almost like they know that they can't compete on service or quality of product, so they instead choose to vaguely mock the competition instead of focusing on ways that they are better than it. Delta's ads tend to be very product/service focused, usually focusing on improvements like the flat beds, power ports, first class upgrades, Sky Club, or at least the 'enhancements' to the mileage programs. On the other hand, Southwest's ads either vaguely tout the airline with a smug 'fly us, we're better' attitude (without quantifying any actual reasons why), or advertise 'new' service to destinations served by AirTran since the 1990's, and also have hourly service on DL compared to the 3-4 flights a day that Southwest operates to many of it's destinations.

mudpuppy Feb 2, 2015 6:36 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 24275436)
Oh, y'er really missin' out! Atlanta has an absolute wealth of fine restaurants to choose from! ;)

This one, <I understand>, actually has a branch in ATL Terminal F! :D

AND C concourse.

3Cforme Feb 2, 2015 7:46 am

How about 'We spent 3 1/2 years euthanizing the airline with business class and seat asignments, cutting frequencies and destinations from Atlanta. Come enjoy the LUV!'

pbarnette Feb 2, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ATLMike1234 (Post 24275848)
Am I the only one who thinks Southwest's ads are vague and do nothing to sell the company to potential customers??

For example, that sample ad in the article: “Atlanta, we don’t care if you’re diamond, platinum or pewter, Heart means you don’t need miles to earn these smiles.” It's almost like they know that they can't compete on service or quality of product, so they instead choose to vaguely mock the competition instead of focusing on ways that they are better than it. Delta's ads tend to be very product/service focused, usually focusing on improvements like the flat beds, power ports, first class upgrades, Sky Club, or at least the 'enhancements' to the mileage programs. On the other hand, Southwest's ads either vaguely tout the airline with a smug 'fly us, we're better' attitude (without quantifying any actual reasons why), or advertise 'new' service to destinations served by AirTran since the 1990's, and also have hourly service on DL compared to the 3-4 flights a day that Southwest operates to many of it's destinations.

Agreed. The Southwest ads are really bad and they embody everything I dislike about Southwest.

Chalky White Feb 2, 2015 9:21 am

If WN was serious about getting origination travel out of Atlanta, they'd do what DL is doing in SEA: fast track elite status, replace the nonstops they took away from FL, and start a fare ware with DL on certain routes.

hazelrah Feb 2, 2015 9:31 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 24273111)

I actually think the "You don't have to be Diamond, Platinum, or Pewter" line is pretty creative. Good for WN. Competition is a good thing!

I agree, particularly since Delta has gutted the lower Sky members and Diamond is the only tier that matters anymore.