Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL won't let me OLCI?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

DL won't let me OLCI?

I am trying to check in for my flights tomorrow morning, had no issue with my husband's tickets but the system won't let me check in and shows "We can't check you in online, because government regulations require that you check in at the airport." Anybody know why?

I called Delta but the agent tells me they can't tell why, everything seems fine on my reservation. Our first flight is at 6:45 am so this means being at the airport at 3:45 which is not my idea of fun... And I really don't want to lose my seat assignments. Hubby and I are both Nexus/GE as well.

Now I am starting to stress!!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 5:52 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Relax.
No point getting all stressed out.

1. It maybe something incorrect with your reservation.
The DL agent may want to see the Physical credit card that you made your reservation with.
(very common reason for inability to OLCI)

2. Or it maybe an issue with TSA wanting to take a closer look at you.
You are the chosen one by TSA to undergo a secondary screening.
If you see the (dreaded) SSSS at the bottom of your boarding pass, when you check in with the DL Agent at the airport, that maybe the reason.
It's just that TSA will pat you down and open up everything in your carry on bag/s.
It does happens occasionally!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:30 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
Agree with dd1612...no stress needed. My guess is you got the SSSS. I get that a couple of times per year...it is random (I have Nexus too) and it is just extra screening.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Well I guess you're both right, since it can't be the payment issue (tickets were purchased using airmiles).

2 questions:

- Do I lose my seat assignment?

- Do I have to get to the airport the full 3 hours ahead? (I was hoping to do 2 hours with Nexus and no checked bags)

thank you for your help!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
you can still check/change your seat assignment even though you can't do OLCI

2 hours should still be plenty of time
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Dorienna
Well I guess you're both right, since it can't be the payment issue (tickets were purchased using airmiles).

2 questions:

- Do I have to get to the airport the full 3 hours ahead? (I was hoping to do 2 hours with Nexus and no checked bags)

thank you for your help!
Fifteen to thirty minutes extra (relative to what you normally do) is more than enough at most airports, especially if your ticket and your husband's tickets are on the same ticketed PNR. But it depends on the airport you are leaving at at that time. Which airport? If it's a Canadian airport with CBP PreClearance, then I would up the time to 30-60 minutes more than usual for the early morning madness.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I think it would depend where are you flying from/to? If it is all CONUS and depending on your airport I would think 1.5-2 hours early would be sufficient, at least it is leaving SAN.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:37 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
When this happened with my wife recently, she had been "randomly" selected for extra screening.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
In the early days of TSA my common name forced me to apply for a redress #. Every single checkin before I got that was a hassle like you are getting. Then came Global Entry & TSApre. Which further smoothed out travel friction.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:04 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by Dorienna

2 questions:

thank you for your help!
- No. We do not lose your seat assignment.

- You should plan on this additional screening taking approx 15-20 minutes extra. Getting to the airport 2 hours ahead, should work well.

- This does not affect checked bags, only hand carried/ cabin baggage.
This hand carried/ cabin baggage will undergo more scrutiny than you have ever experienced.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

We're flying out of YUL, so going through customs there (itinerary is YUL-ATL-HNL).

Will I be able to go in the same lines as my husband or will I be considered a "security risk" (tongue-in-cheek:-) until we reach the gate?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond
You will go through the same lines. I have never received the SSSS at YUL, only at YYZ. Typically as has been stated above, it meant an extra 10 minutes or so. 2 hours should be plenty.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: Delta, United
As said, probably the dreaded SSS (Silly, stupid, security). Given you are traveling with your husband. Have him take all of your carry on baggage except something simple because you and your baggage will be subject to inspection.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:31 am

Are you meeting the MCT? I show the YUL ATL flight landing at 10:12 and the ATL HNL flight leaving at 10:50. DL.com doesn't show YUL/ATL/HNL as a flight option. That might be the reason! I'd call quick and check your options unless you want to chance accidentally spending the day in ATL or flying all over to make it to Hawaii!

I bet you had a small sked change that pushed you underthe MCT!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
Are you meeting the MCT? I show the YUL ATL flight landing at 10:12 and the ATL HNL flight leaving at 10:50. DL.com doesn't show YUL/ATL/HNL as a flight option. That might be the reason! I'd call quick and check your options unless you want to chance accidentally spending the day in ATL or flying all over to make it to Hawaii!

I bet you had a small sked change that pushed you underthe MCT!
This short connection was indeed after a schedule change, but the options are rather limited (for a 1-stop itinerary, there is nothing else and I am taking the first flight out of YUL). I went back and forth but decided to stick to it, historical data (which is all I have to work with) shows my incoming flight landing in E and outgoing out of E as well, and we will have only carry-ons.

I would think if my flight was not "legal", Delta would contact me and force me to change no? As fas as I understand it is all booked on 1 ticket so they have to find a way to get me to my final destination?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.