Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta downgrades Medallion & AMEX enhanced award space perks!

Old Jan 21, 15, 6:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler

I have now confirmed what I posted this AM in THIS post (my blog btw) and got this from Delta CORP:

With the launch of the 2015 program and the improvements to redemption including more redemption options, we now offer the same Award availability to all SkyMiles members. Award availability for all members in 2015 is improved over the enhanced availability Medallion members and co-brand card holders had access to in 2014. – Delta CORP

My source told me that this past week Delta internally said:

Enhanced Availability for Award tickets has been discontinued for SkyMiles Medallion members and Platinum and Reserve Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardholders. The enhanced availability classes will continue to be displayed, but will always have the same availability as N class of service.

So much for more award space for Medallions and AMEX card holders!

Last edited by Renes Points; Jan 21, 15 at 6:51 pm Reason: Added photo for snarky reasons - why not!
Old Jan 21, 15, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Delta Points View Post
... The enhanced availability classes will continue to be displayed, but will always have the same availability as N class of service. ...
hmmmmmm ... I'm no lawyer, but this seems like pretty deliberately deceptive advertising
Old Jan 21, 15, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
Once again they deliver the devaluation with no meaningful advance notice.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm shocked. I thought the whole point of discontinuing EF and otherwise concealing information from customers (including fare constructions, fare rules, upgrade availability, inventory class availability, and on and on and on) was because DL wants to calculate personalized prices for each of us based on what they think they know about our socioeconomic demographic data and our entire purchase history with DL. Data mining rules!
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Yep... surely heartwarming news.

I am glad that, as a DM, VA Ave so appreciates my contribution relative to folks who give far less business to the airline. Improving the elite experience... yesireee...

And, of course, the policy change is justified by a premise that has not been proven yet... that there is, and will continue to be, improved "Award availability for all members in 2015..."

They have made me enough of a cynic to ask... But what about 2016?
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
And, of course, the policy change is justified by a premise that has not been proven yet... that there is, and will continue to be, improved "Award availability for all members in 2015..."
Until Dec 31, 2014 there was at least one O and X seat per DL flight at 331 days out and until booked. As of Jan 1, 2015 OL and XL is the best one can hope for, and even that only on a few days. O and X (normal levels) are practically non existent, at least on some flights/routes.

So, as of Jan 1, 2015 there is definitely much, much worse availability (what was normal level before, now is 1.5x or double mileage level). Roughly now it costs as much OW as it did before for RT (with stopover + open-jaw), which means only one vs. 3 destinations now at the same price.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edweird View Post
Once again they deliver the devaluation with no meaningful advance notice.
Nobody expects...

"Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless [disregard of customer loyalty].... Our three weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless [disregard]...and an almost fanatical devotion to [stock price].... Our four...no... amongst our weapons.... amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise...."

[With apologies to Monty Python]
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:25 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
...that there is, and will continue to be, improved "Award availability for all members in 2015..."
There's plenty of availability...as long as you want to go where no one else wants to go at a time you don't want to go.

Oh, and for more miles than you want to use.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton, Marriot, and Melia Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Curious to see how the usual suspects will positively spin this.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thesaints View Post
Curious to see how the usual suspects will positively spin this.
Quote:

"There is no problem with award availability. I can always find LOW awards. I flew my entire family, my grandparents, and my daughter's entire soccer team to HNL on LOW awards."

Old Jan 21, 15, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime GE), National Emerald Executive
Quote:

"There is no problem with award availability. I can always find LOW awards. I flew my entire family, my grandparents, and my daughter's entire soccer team to HNL on LOW awards."

That is quite likely. After all, according to the Mother Delta worshippers, anything other than the highest level are "low" (as in "lower" than level 5, thus making levels 1-4 "low"[er], with Delta having fulfilled its promise to have "more awards than ever at the lower" levels).

Ooops... I beat them to the punch!

But let's see what other irrational spin there is put on this. Seeing that is always entertaining and sometimes outright hillarious.
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:44 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
They might want to update their website then:
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
well now that you have pointed it out ...
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
well now that you have pointed it out ...
I'm sure they haven't forgotten to update the booking engine...
Old Jan 21, 15, 7:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
They might want to update their website then:
Opppssseeeee

Search this Thread
Search Engine: