Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Alcohol Policy in J

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Delta Alcohol Policy in J

I am a DM and was recently in J on a flight from LAX to NRT. About 5 hours into the flight I walked to the front of the 777 for a drink. The FA station near the bathrooms typically has wine, champagne and water sitting out in an apparent self service fashion.

A service cart is also open which has clean glasses, soda, beer etc. I noticed a bottle of Sake and was looking at the brand when a FA rudely told me that I wasn't allowed to touch the hard alcohol. She was rather upset (even though I wasn't removing any) and said that Delta Airlines is very strict when it comes to booze.

Does anyone know Delta's policy on self serve alcohol? I’ve been on dozens of long haul Delta flights and have never been scolded in such a manner. Has anyone else?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jwat21
The FA station near the bathrooms typically has wine, champagne and water sitting out in an apparent self service fashion.
emphasis mine

That's your first mistake. It wasn't self-serve. U.S. rules demand FA's serve all alcohol consumed on-board.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieve....1.1.7.20.3.31
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I've been on plenty flights where the FAs set certain things like wine, champagne, sake out and allowed us to pour.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:19 pm

Regardless of the rules, a passenger should never be scolded by an FA. That's inappropriate. It's not like he was doing shots.

And besides, the rule discusses serving not handling or looking at the bottle. Sounds like the FA needs to chill.

Another point, one could interpret "serving" as only consuming alcohol provided by the airline and not necessarily poured by the FA's.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One could interpret the rules lots of different ways, but all that matters is how FAA interprets the rules and how DL policy works. All it takes is one violation and one FA being dinged by DL and people get a whole lot more careful.

Better practice would be to ask to look at the bottle
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
One could interpret the rules lots of different ways, but all that matters is how FAA interprets the rules and how DL policy works. All it takes is one violation and one FA being dinged by DL and people get a whole lot more careful.

Better practice would be to ask to look at the bottle
Perhaps...but the OP did not know that he could not look at the bottle. There is no reason to be rude regardless.

Does anyone know what Delta's policy actually states or the FAA's interpretation? Unless we do, then none of us knows what we are talking about.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
emphasis mine

That's your first mistake. It wasn't self-serve. U.S. rules demand FA's serve all alcohol consumed on-board.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieve....1.1.7.20.3.31
Interesting. Thank you for the link. I must be too used to foreign carriers. Air France seat maps actually denotes "Self Service Bar".

I think that law is intended to prevent passengers from consuming alcohol they purchase duty free...regardless it would be interesting to see what Delta's policy is.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Regardless of if it's brought onboard by the pax, or given by the airline, the FA must "serve" the alcohol to you. Going and opening your bottle of alcohol without giving it to the FA to "serve" can get you in trouble. It's just like in a restaurant where you may bring in a bottle of wine, but the waiter must serve it to you.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Regardless of if it's brought onboard by the pax, or given by the airline, the FA must "serve" the alcohol to you. Going and opening your bottle of alcohol without giving it to the FA to "serve" can get you in trouble. It's just like in a restaurant where you may bring in a bottle of wine, but the waiter must serve it to you.
Just to clarify, Delta's policy is that any alcohol consumed onboard must be both provided by Delta and served by Delta (i.e., you can't consume your own alcohol on-board, nor can you give your duty free to an F/A and have them serve it to you.) While you may have seen something different in your travels, the policy is as written above.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by emrdoc
Another point, one could interpret "serving" as only consuming alcohol provided by the airline and not necessarily poured by the FA's.
Try interpreting it that way in my home state and you might end up spending the night in jail.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA: EXP Hilton: Gold, SPG: Gold, Hyatt: Plat
I wouldn't consider sake "hard" alcohol... more comparable to a wine
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Usually when I approach the wine bottles in the galley, a FA quickly approaches, asks me what I want, and offers to bring it to me in my seat. It's partly the "airline crew must serve" rule and partly common sense that it's better not to have passengers walking in the aisles with liquids in glass glasses incase of turbulence. There's also less chance of a spill (that might damage the clothing or electronics of a seatmate as well as the aircraft interior) if the passenger first sits down and then is handed the glass of wine. Nevertheless, if I'm strolling past the galley anyway, I sometimes like to inspect the labels on the wine to see exactly what I've been drinking, especially if I wasn't able to do this when the drinks cart passed through the cabin at the beginning of service.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
FA attendent see man holding Sake bottle and says, "sir, can I help you". Man says "no I was just wanted to look at the bottle". Seems like such an easy situation for an FA to handle with just five words.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by Ledfish
FA attendent see man holding Sake bottle and says, "sir, can I help you". Man says "no I was just wanted to look at the bottle". Seems like such an easy situation for an FA to handle with just five words.
Yahtzee!!! We have a winner!!!

Very well stated.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Do these regulations hold any force when you're nowhere near US airspace? I'm guessing not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.