Wiki Posts
Search

Must I recheck bags at SEA?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Must I recheck bags at SEA?

Hi all,

I am returning from Asia and have a flight via Seattle to elsewhere in the U.S. on DL. I wanna throw away my last leg (skip my connecting flight in Seattle.)

Can I walk out of seatac after collecting my checked bags and not recheck them to the final destination?

Most airport in the US after customs you can take your checked bags and walk out of the airport. However I read in Atlanta and Seattle you must recheck it. Even if leaving the airport.

Of course I'll only try to tag to SEA only, but if that fails...

Thanks!
This is my return before anyone chimes in with the airline canceling my ticket :-)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
If your bags are so huge you don't want to take them thru security then on the train, you could ask DL to retag them for SEA upon arrival.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Yes, easily.

Normally:
Clear immigration.
Pick up bags.
Clear customs.
Go left to recheck your bags, clear security, and go to your connecting flight.

In your case, replace last step:
Go right, keep your bags with you and board train. You'll exit train in the non secure area by baggage claim, and can exit airport.

There is a belt on the right where you can recheck your bags to send them to the main baggage claim, if for some reason you don't want to haul them on the train. I never do, and in your case would strongly recommend against - don't want someone seeing a baggage tag for onward travel and deciding that you must have accidentally put them on the local arrivals recheck belt instead on the connecting flight recheck belt, and "fixing" your mistake by sending your bags to your connecting flight.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
First thing to do after picking up your bag is to remove the destination tag. As said, it oculd mistakenly get put into the regular flow and go to the ORIGINAL final destination.

Then you can take them with you or recheck back to the local baggage claim area.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: DL, AS, UA, HH, MR, Nat. Car
Welcome to Seattle, I hope you enjoy your time here.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 7:18 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

In summary, looks like I can just take my bags out of the airport without rechecking, and there is no security check after customs again.

Except at Seattle I need to take a train to exit, as opposed to most other airpots where I just walk out.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 8:45 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by Noodlesz
Thanks for the replies.

In summary, looks like I can just take my bags out of the airport without rechecking, and there is no security check after customs again.

Except at Seattle I need to take a train to exit, as opposed to most other airpots where I just walk out.
Correct - no security check if you turn to the right after customs to head to the train. Passengers who keep left after customs to reach connecting flights have a security checkpoint.
Old May 23, 2015, 3:44 am

Did you do this successfully? I too am planning to do this (similar situation -- return flight from Asia to Seattle, though the leg I'm discarding is international, Seattle-Vancouver). I assume it went smoothly for you but would appreciate any tips.
Old May 23, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by seattlebruce
Did you do this successfully? I too am planning to do this (similar situation -- return flight from Asia to Seattle, though the leg I'm discarding is international, Seattle-Vancouver). I assume it went smoothly for you but would appreciate any tips.
Your bag might be tagged ITI at Asian Origin for US transit to another intl destination as per your ticket bypassing CBP check at US port of entry. In this case you will not see your checked bags at SEA but YVR.
Old May 23, 2015, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
Your bag might be tagged ITI at Asian Origin for US transit to another intl destination as per your ticket bypassing CBP check at US port of entry. In this case you will not see your checked bags at SEA but YVR.
At SEA, it is not possible to bypass the CBP check - ITI is not offered. All passengers will clear immigration and customs.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; May 23, 2015 at 8:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.