Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

I'm Probably in the Minority, But I Like the New Program

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*

The new Skymiles program make sense for me, but I'm sure I'll get pummeled by some on this forum. Sure, I'd rather go back to being a Royal Medallion with a 1000 mile minimum per segment, 100% bonus and 1000 miles to rent a car; plus any hotel points. I used to get 10,000 miles for every 4 segment trip with a coach reward at 20K & a First Class for 25K. I once took my Son to Hawaii with me and it was 75K for TWO FC seats. But, those days are gone. FCM can work for you, if you can plan in advance and are flexible in your days and times. All I now want at the end of the year is 140 MQSs and the $25K waiver from DL/Amex, and I'll be DM till I retire.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Delta PM, United Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Exec Elite
The new program won't effect my medallion status as a silver. I benefit on RDM because of high dollar short routes. Last year as a silver I had $13,434 MQD while only 39,200 MQM and 48 Segements. After the dropping of Bonus MQM I wonder how many will drop down a level of so in medallion status.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
As far as I can see, my travel pattern (many East Coast to DFW, the rest intra-East Coast or TCON) will make me break even. The "local" flights make me RDMs, the TCONs lose big - 7K instead of 11K on a recent flight. But I will make that same 7K on a RT to ATL, which before would have netted me 2500.

So it's all about your average sortie duration (well sort of), and of course, the huge spread in miles per dollar from FO to DM.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
While I get fewer RDM, is now costs less for long haul J tickets compared to next year. So, I guess it's a wash.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 1MM, Marriott Plat
Last year, I was in a focus group about this year's Skymiles changes.

They handed out sheets of paper with the new earning structures on them and asked people "what do you think about this?"

Anyone with a brain -- or, more specifically, a brain that can do simple math -- immediately saw the huge devaluation. That you would (in most cases) be earning far fewer miles than before on the same flights.

Still, there were certain people in the room who said "I like it!"

I was dumbfounded. I actually got a bit aggressive in the conversation, trying to make people realize what a big change this was, for the worse. Obviously, as a consumer, earning 10,000 miles on a flight is better than earning 2,500 miles on a flight.

And yet some people had the strangest reasons for "liking" it. "This way, I know exactly how many miles I'll be getting!"

What?

Shaking my head....slamming it on the desk....same as here.

Change is inevitable, and perks invariably fade over time, but to say that you LIKE it, is just...wha? huh?

Last edited by flyerUSA; Jan 14, 2015 at 3:40 pm
Old Jan 14, 2015, 3:38 pm

Also btw, I fly LAX-SFO all the time and will probably be earning MORE RDM now, compared to before. So I have a legit reason to say I "like" the changes...but I still don't like them.

I find the "earn up to 75,000 miles per flight!" tagline Delta is using to be very obnoxious. Everybody who reads fine print knows that the 75000 mile thing is actually a new LIMIT.

If they were following the miles per dollar rule, then a $10,000 plane ticket would earn a DM 110,000 RDM. So....75000 doesn't mean, "wow, so many miles!" it means "wow, even with the new rules, we are going to take back 35000 RDM from you, just because."

Who would like these changes? People who don't understand what is happening to them.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by marcworld
Anyone with a brain -- or, more specifically, a brain that can do simple math -- immediately saw the huge devaluation. That you would (in most cases) be earning far fewer miles than before on the same flights.
That is entirely dependent on how much you spend per ticket. Anyone with a brain -- or, more specifically, a brain that can do simple math -- immediately sees that.

Change is inevitable, and perks invariably fade over time, but to say that you LIKE it, is just...wha? huh?
As hard as it may be for you to believe, some people do win under the new system.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond

How do you explain my 35 or so roundtrips last year would have netted me about 30% more mileage had the new rule been in effect? OK, 1 or 2 or 3 trips but I had 35 or more trips and my number would have increased by 30%. I LOVE the new rules and would love it if they applied to MQMs. I know it isn't for everyone. But it isn't not for everyone either. And they HAVE followed through with lower mileage requirements on many destinations to this point.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
That is entirely dependent on how much you spend per ticket.

As hard as it may be for you to believe, some people do win under the new system.
a) Like I said, I personally will come out ahead on my frequent LAX-SFO flights. I don't think those mild gains, on fringe cases, are enough to make this new scheme "likeable".

b) Anybody who spends, let's say $500 or $600 on a cross country ticket, will be a huge loser here. If you regularly spend more on your tickets....well perhaps you have enough coins to not be so concerned about precious RDMs in the first place.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
And they HAVE followed through with lower mileage requirements on many destinations to this point.
Eh...I did some sample searches and things didn't seem all that different, so far. I'll keep looking.

I do like the new one-way awards, of course, that's the one huge improvement.

I'm curious what flights you are taking and what you are paying for them, in order to come up with those numbers. Are your flights all (or mostly) short haul?

If you are an exclusively short-haul flyer, yes you will come out ahead. I personally have a pretty even mix of short haul and long haul, and I lose. If you fly only long haul, you lose big time. I don't think short-haul-only people are a big segment of Delta flyers, I think you are on the fringe. Just guessing here but please do share what kind of flying you do, as a data point.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TurfGuy
All I now want at the end of the year is 140 MQSs and the $25K waiver from DL/Amex, and I'll be DM till I retire.
Since you began this thread, just curious if you would still "like this new program" if DL dumps the AmEx waiver for Diamonds?

Didn't think so.

I find the "earn up to 75,000 miles per flight!" tagline Delta is using to be very obnoxious. Everybody who reads fine print knows that the 75000 mile thing is actually a new LIMIT.
Not trying to be nitpicky but is it really necessary to read any fine print? After all, when DL says "earn up to...", isn't that the exact same thing as a limit?

As said umpteen times here on FT, if this is an issue for you, just buy two one-ways and the 75K becomes 150K very quickly.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Then I must be a moron. So far this year:
  • A 500 mile flight that would have previously earned 1250 instead earned 4433.
  • Another 500 mile flight that would have previously earned 1250 instead earned 4191.
  • Two flight of 731 miles each would have previously each earned 1644 instead earned 3069.

Instead of earning 5788 total I've earned 10,982, or almost double the SkyMiles. Maybe that simple math is over my head, but it appears to me that the new method of awarding miles is better. Can you please explain to me what I'm missing? Isn't double the miles kinda the opposite of devaluation?

Maybe you are assuming everyone is purchasing cheap seats, but many of us are not able to purchase too far in advance, have frequent changes or, for other reasons, need to purchase more expensive tickets. My purchase patterns have not changed, but obviously DL is more interested in getting my more profitable business and has adjusted the award accordingly.

There are winners and losers under the new system, but the condescending statement "Anyone with a brain -- or, more specifically, a brain that can do simple math -- immediately saw the huge devaluation" is wrong per the facts.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
a) Like I said, I personally will come out ahead on my frequent LAX-SFO flights. I don't think those mild gains, on fringe cases, are enough to make this new scheme "likeable".
That isn't what you said. Anyone with a brain -- more specifically, a brain that can read -- knows that you said (and I quote): "you would (in most cases) be earning far fewer miles than before on the same flights." Your statement is too general and the "likeability" of the program is dependent upon whether someone fits the same profile of traveler as you. You should have said "many", rather than the general "you".

In the future, try to be moreaccurate in your statements. That goes double when you are trying to call other people stupid.

b) Anybody who spends, let's say $500 or $600 on a cross country ticket, will be a huge loser here. If you regularly spend more on your tickets....well perhaps you have enough coins to not be so concerned about precious RDMs in the first place.
Why do you work from the assumption that most people primarily buy cross-country tickets?

There are winners and losers in this change. You happen to be a loser. That doesn't mean there aren't winners.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
Then I must be a moron. So far this year:
  • A 500 mile flight that would have previously earned 1250 instead earned 4433.
  • Another 500 mile flight that would have previously earned 1250 instead earned 4191.
  • Two flight of 731 miles each would have previously each earned 1644 instead earned 3069.

Instead of earning 5788 total I've earned 10,982, or almost double the SkyMiles. Maybe that simple math is over my head, but it appears to me that the new method of awarding miles is better. Can you please explain to me what I'm missing? Isn't double the miles kinda the opposite of devaluation?

Maybe you are assuming everyone is purchasing cheap seats, but many of us are not able to purchase too far in advance, have frequent changes or, for other reasons, need to purchase more expensive tickets. My purchase patterns have not changed, but obviously DL is more interested in getting my more profitable business and has adjusted the award accordingly.

There are winners and losers under the new system, but the condescending statement "Anyone with a brain -- or, more specifically, a brain that can do simple math -- immediately saw the huge devaluation" is wrong per the facts.
If you are a DM and earned 4433 miles, that means you paid $403 (before tax) for a short segment. What fare class was that? Y/B/M?

Like I've said above, people who fly short haul flights and pay the highest economy classes can come out above.

So far, everyone who says this is good is a shorthauler who pays the highest fares. Are there that many of you?
Old Jan 14, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by BigDawg23
The new program won't effect my medallion status as a silver. I benefit on RDM because of high dollar short routes. Last year as a silver I had $13,434 MQD while only 39,200 MQM and 48 Segements. After the dropping of Bonus MQM I wonder how many will drop down a level of so in medallion status.
What dropping of bonus MQM? Awhile ago the bonus on M fares was dropped, but the MQM bonuses on Y and B fares and all first and business class fares remain the same.

Or have I missed something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.